Air Conditioning System help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 10th, 2008, 05:59 PM
TNRoverGuy
Chris H.
'97 NAS D90 ST

Registry
Air Conditioning System help

Hello.

Just wondering if someone could either post pictures or a diagram of the air-conditioning system. I have water leaking into the passenger side floorboard, specifically when I'm making left hand turns. It also makes a spitting sound while turning.

I read in another thread about a "drain-tube" that can come loose, causing the leak, but upon basic inspection I could see no such tube. I need to know what I am looking for and if anyone else has similar problems.

Thanks for your time!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2008, 06:06 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
It really cant be anything other than the drain tube assuming the water is coming from the AC unit. the tube is found at the low point of the unit and drains through the tunnel. You can see the tube looking up from underneath (its just sticks through the tunnel and bends down), but you should be able to see it from the footwell too. If its missing then there is a definite clue. The drain tube attaches to a little plastic pipe glued from the inside of the AC housing, so if that comes loose, then it can leak also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 10th, 2008, 06:20 PM
TNRoverGuy
Chris H.
'97 NAS D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
It really cant be anything other than the drain tube assuming the water is coming from the AC unit. the tube is found at the low point of the unit and drains through the tunnel. You can see the tube looking up from underneath (its just sticks through the tunnel and bends down), but you should be able to see it from the footwell too. If its missing then there is a definite clue. The drain tube attaches to a little plastic pipe glued from the inside of the AC housing, so if that comes loose, then it can leak also.

When you say the drain tube "just sticks through the tunnel and bends down," are you referring to the transmission tunnel? The water appears to be coming from the far right side of the housing, and I do not see a tube that could be used to drain water away from the unit. What is this tube made out of and what color is it?

Thanks so much for the quick response!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The tube is black rubber they some times get clogged. The unit is supposed to drain from the left side not the right so it definately sounds like yours has water sloshing around in it.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old September 10th, 2008, 08:02 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
I had a 95 without A/C so never needed to deal with it but I recently got a 97 with AC and the same problem happened to me. As it turned out the previous owner must have cracked it and did a poor job of sealing. Then I had a passenger of mine kick it recently and really messed it up. I'm in florida so water was basically pouring out.

You can take the tube (left hand bottom if looking forward in the passenger footwell) and re-seal or even replace it. Could yours be jammed back into the unit which would cause the water to run out the other side?

You could always put dirt in the footwell and then get a nice piece of sod from a local nursery. Grass would be a nice touch and provide sound dampening and be oh-so "green" as you drive your gas guzzling D90!

Hutch
Old September 10th, 2008, 08:42 PM
TNRoverGuy
Chris H.
'97 NAS D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch
You could always put dirt in the footwell and then get a nice piece of sod from a local nursery. Grass would be a nice touch and provide sound dampening and be oh-so "green" as you drive your gas guzzling D90!

Hutch

Hahaha! I had such a great visual of this!

Thanks for the replies guys. I've taken some pictures to make sure we're on the same page.

Here is what I assume is the drain tube:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...1221085902.jpg

In this picture, you can see that water is dripping from the center of the unit where the two halves come together:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...1221086042.jpg

And here you can see that it is also shooting out of the side of the unit, which leads me to believe that there is indeed water standing inside the unit, indicating a clogged tube:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...1221086176.jpg

So, my question now is, how can I access this tube? I could not see where the tube goes into the unit, as it enters the plastic trim in front of the A/C unit. The couple of inches of tubing that can be seen in the first picture, is the only part of the tube that is exposed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions