Air conditioning switch??? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 29th, 2014, 10:31 AM
Spenc1tj
TJ Spencer
1997 NAS Defender

Air conditioning switch???

Here it goes! Ok, I have a 97 NAS D90. Back in 1999 she had a catastrophic fire in the fuse box that ended up burning/totaling the 90. We got her all restored sometime back in 2001. When we got it fixed we did not replace the A/C unit in the interior. The AC pump however is still on and all the lines are still hooked up. So the only thing I think I'm missing to activate the AC is the switch, right? Do you think I could activate it and have AC air blowing threw my defrost and floor vents? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
hmm. the AC doesn't blow through your defrost. That's the heater duct which is a separate unit. You only get AC through the AC facia vents. To answer your question - it depends on the condition of the fascia unit and the wiring harness. it's not clear to me if you're is damaged or not.

I had to replace my whole harness for mine due to a fault. I have some spare's I'd sell if you need them. switches, AC ECU, the old harness that you could cut sections out of to replace damaged ones.

You need to test your compressor to make sure the clutch still works (single wire on the compressor) and if the AC refrigerant lines where ever opened due to the fault, you would obviously need recharge after replacing the drier. but I would start with testing the harness to make sure everything is operational.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old March 29th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Spenc1tj
TJ Spencer
1997 NAS Defender

I do not have a facia. Do no AC for me it sounds like. Anyone know if I can get a belt to bypass the pump?

------ Follow up post added March 29th, 2014 09:57 AM ------

....So*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2014, 11:24 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Pics...
Old March 29th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
well it's easy enough to add. if you have the compressor, that's half the cost right there. time to time folks on here sell components. Ron probably has 3 complete AC units on his guest bathroom sink right now.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old March 29th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Spenc1tj
TJ Spencer
1997 NAS Defender

Ok, the AC facia add on is so big and bulky though. So I cannot have AC blowing through the feet or defrost vents? I figured if I switched he AC pump on and turned my system to "cold" it would be AC air blowing through. I will post a pic in a little bit. All it is is a normal NAS dash with no AC add on.
Old March 29th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Spenc1tj
TJ Spencer
1997 NAS Defender

Ohhh ok, that makes sense! So the evap coil is the coil that becomes cold to cool the flowing air correct?
Old March 29th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Videoguy
Ron
1997 Defender 90 SW

AC

All 97 D90 came with a compressor regardless of whether the interior unit was installed. You cannot run a 97 without the compressor installed unless you can find a special belt.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions