Air conditioning into a Non AC 85 110 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 20th, 2012, 11:01 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Air conditioning into a Non AC 85 110

Hello again,

I'm sure you have heard this before, although I did search, whats the best way to get AC into a non ac old D110?

I have considered going the rovers north route with the AC kit that has the vents and probably everything I need but at $2500 its a bit steep.

I also considered adding a compressor, condenser and and plugging a coil evaporator thingy into the stock heater box and hoping for the best with the stock venting and maybe a switch for the compressor.

Then I came across a rear AC part for a discovery that looked pretty compact and had what looked to be everything I would need to blow cold air if I added a condenser, compressor and lines. I'm sure there is more to it but it looked like a compact blower assembly that could possibly fit under the passenger seat I could run a few vent hoses somewhere but not likely up to the dash (still brain storming on location I think where the OEM air clean sits is also a potential spot).

Well thats it. I don't want to spend $2500 if I don't have to. Any ideas? I'm pretty much open to anything that makes the inside colder than the outside (no igloos with ice and 12 V fans although i thought about it).

Oscar

P.S. on a totally side note if you happen to know if the inner diameter of the rear springs is the same between a 1985 110 and a 1997 90 that could help me out on my search for helper springs or helper airbags.
Advertisement

Old March 20th, 2012, 11:06 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
There was a thread just last week on putting in a Chevy AC or something into a 110. Keep searching - it was a good thread.
Old March 20th, 2012, 11:11 AM
texrover
Jason
71 SIIA, 03 RR, 94 D90 (PO), 83 110

Registry
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=31409

Might want to subscribe to this thread.

I need to find it but there was also a thread on Rovers North where someone installed AC to a Series 88" using the seat box, so you might search RN as well.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 20th, 2012, 03:26 PM
One Ten
Sam
1994 NAS SW

Look at my build thread. I used everything from a 94 classic plus an under dash evaporator (part# ud140) from Nostalgic Air. I had custom high and low pressure lines made.
Old March 20th, 2012, 05:19 PM
piekas
Pierre Jourda
1987 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
Hello again,

I'm sure you have heard this before, although I did search, whats the best way to get AC into a non ac old D110?

I have considered going the rovers north route with the AC kit that has the vents and probably everything I need but at $2500 its a bit steep.

I also considered adding a compressor, condenser and and plugging a coil evaporator thingy into the stock heater box and hoping for the best with the stock venting and maybe a switch for the compressor.

Then I came across a rear AC part for a discovery that looked pretty compact and had what looked to be everything I would need to blow cold air if I added a condenser, compressor and lines. I'm sure there is more to it but it looked like a compact blower assembly that could possibly fit under the passenger seat I could run a few vent hoses somewhere but not likely up to the dash (still brain storming on location I think where the OEM air clean sits is also a potential spot).

Well thats it. I don't want to spend $2500 if I don't have to. Any ideas? I'm pretty much open to anything that makes the inside colder than the outside (no igloos with ice and 12 V fans although i thought about it).

Oscar

P.S. on a totally side note if you happen to know if the inner diameter of the rear springs is the same between a 1985 110 and a 1997 90 that could help me out on my search for helper springs or helper airbags.
Definitely check out the thread referenced earlier. There are many ways to approach this and it can be done for a lot less than $2,500 (and look great) if you're ok with with the parts not being "Genuine". Feel free to reach out with any questions.
Old March 20th, 2012, 06:38 PM
One Ten
Sam
1994 NAS SW

It hasn't gotten super hot here since I installed it but it's working good so far. It usually get to the 110 degree range here in the summer. I'll give updates as time goes on. By the way if you have fuel injection wire the a/c into the ecm so it kicks the rpm up a bit when you turn on the a/c like factory.
Old March 20th, 2012, 06:57 PM
texrover
Jason

Registry
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3844

It's a 109 but worth reading
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:49 AM
exmod110
Don Lang

I am surprised that no one has attempted to fit a bunk heater-ac system out of a hiway tractor into a 90-110.
it takes care of 2 concerns in one. extra heat when cold and should provide decent cooling when hot. (can supplement the factory heater and ac or stand alone)
From what i recall seeing, they were a self contained heater core, evaporator and blower motor in one unit. Some hoses for the heater and the rest of the ac components that you would need anyway and ur set.... the unit's fit under the bunk in the sleeper of the tractor, were not that large and should be mountable behind the bulkhead in the back somewhere if u dont mind giving up some space.
I might add that they should be fairly cheap through a truck wrecking yard....
just a thought..
Old March 21st, 2012, 10:51 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Subscribed. Piekas, agreed, genuine is cool but not at a $1000+ premium. Im seeing quite a few nice set ups out there.

Texrover great link. I think an under seat set up would kick butt. especially hearing from all the D90 guys about how underwhelming the stock in dash set ups are. I like the idea of running two systems and so will the pups. Exmod110 extra heat is a plus since most of my offloading camping plans involve going as far north and east as I can go.

One Ten great thread, awesome build. What company supplied your under dash components?
Old March 21st, 2012, 11:27 AM
texrover
Jason

Registry
Ha, you and are on the same track with the dogs...they need their AC--lol.

I've also seen (but can't remember where) the use of the wheel arch boxes in the back as well. Considering that also along with center console (custom cubby), or seatbox. But two units if possible.

Original Air does a 'trunk' unit; but it seems a little pricey. The unit on my '94 D90 was completely underwhelming, to say the least, but to be expected on a soft top. That said don't think there is much value with the stock units on 'sealed' 110 either considering the cost....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
Subscribed. Piekas, agreed, genuine is cool but not at a $1000+ premium. Im seeing quite a few nice set ups out there.

Texrover great link. I think an under seat set up would kick butt. especially hearing from all the D90 guys about how underwhelming the stock in dash set ups are. I like the idea of running two systems and so will the pups. Exmod110 extra heat is a plus since most of my offloading camping plans involve going as far north and east as I can go.

One Ten great thread, awesome build. What company supplied your under dash components?
Old March 21st, 2012, 11:40 AM
texrover
Jason

Registry
Oh and one more thing--under seat means no air in your face, so consider that. But I like the idea of it blowing up my skirt...
Old March 21st, 2012, 12:15 PM
ersatzknarf
Frank
'96 hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by texrover View Post
But I like the idea of it blowing up my kilt ...
Fixed it for ya'
Old March 21st, 2012, 12:35 PM
ersatzknarf
Frank
'96 hybrid

Do you mean one of those Red Dot units ?

http://www.tawayama.com/gear/crewcab/crewcabpage2.html (scroll about half way down)

Love the Ice Cream Truck ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmod110 View Post
I am surprised that no one has attempted to fit a bunk heater-ac system out of a hiway tractor into a 90-110.
it takes care of 2 concerns in one. extra heat when cold and should provide decent cooling when hot. (can supplement the factory heater and ac or stand alone)
From what i recall seeing, they were a self contained heater core, evaporator and blower motor in one unit. Some hoses for the heater and the rest of the ac components that you would need anyway and ur set.... the unit's fit under the bunk in the sleeper of the tractor, were not that large and should be mountable behind the bulkhead in the back somewhere if u dont mind giving up some space.
I might add that they should be fairly cheap through a truck wrecking yard....
just a thought..
Old March 21st, 2012, 04:10 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

that red dot looks ilke it gets the job done alright.

Here is what I came across exploring some options in Miami. The part on the left is a rear AC set up out of a D2 which I thought would be smaller in person. and then a core out of what I guess could be anything but likely a D1 or D2.

I like the rear AC set up because it appears so self contained all the temperature sensors and blowers and what not but then again I really have not investigated it further.

If I can cram that AC core (whats the technical term for that?) along side of my heater core (This is what I guess is the OEM set up for early D110 AC?) that should work as long as I get a:

- compressor: I plan on going OEM compressor on an OEM bracket for a D1
- condenser: do I need to get the OEM AC grill extender(?) or will a condenser and fan fit in front of the radiator without it? My truck has the grill flush with the headlights. any sources for this part? as far as the condenser I'm open to suggestions.
- Looks like I could go One Ten's route with the evaporator
- everything else: ???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2575.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	49362   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2576.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	49363  

Old March 21st, 2012, 06:09 PM
texrover
Jason

Registry
How are you going to control the unit?

Also

Quote:
do I need to get the OEM AC grill extender(?)
ASJ710060 FRONT RAD PANEL WITH AIR DEF
Old March 21st, 2012, 07:09 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

ASJ710060 AWESOME! Looks like it will be coming from the UK.

Again this is me being over simplistic but I figure this little guy will supply at least power and blower speed. There looks to be a few more wires that will have to be compared to a wiring schematic to see how critical they are to operation. Remember I know only enough to be dangerous to myself and those around me
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	$(KGrHqQOKpUE3t01dJi(BO!-9D1tzg~~_12.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	49372  
Old March 21st, 2012, 07:10 PM
texrover
Jason

Registry
I just saw 110 NAS controls somewhere; maybe Safari HP?
Old March 21st, 2012, 07:17 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Im stopping by there on my way back to Alabama in a few weeks. Thats going to be a pricey pit stop. Ill take a look at the NAS panel.

I figured that little switch panel somewhere on the center console with that rear air blower under the seat would be a quick fix. but it looks like the rear air thing is a bit big even if just by a hair.

I wondering how that rear ac set up controls temp? how does it know not to ice the core over? typically isn't that a function of bleeding in a bit of heat from the heater core?
Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:33 AM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
I used the UD-140 under the dash, and then put the UD-100 behind the rear bulkhead and built a speaker box to surround it. About the only place I could put an extra unit in a 90. To add the extra unit only cost me an extra 200 bucks with the unit, extra hoses and tee fittings, and a second dryer. In a 110, you could put a unit in the box in the wheelwell and duct the air anywhere you want. I believe LR made a rear air kit for a 110 (for the middle east market) that mounts a unit in the wheel well and ducts the air up the back and has distribution louvers above the rear door. Possibilities are endless in a 110.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rear air.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	49381  
Old March 22nd, 2012, 07:14 AM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
Quote:
condenser: do I need to get the OEM AC grill extender(?) or will a condenser and fan fit in front of the radiator without it? My truck has the grill flush with the headlights. any sources for this part? as far as the condenser I'm open to suggestions.
The NAS trucks were able to cram in a condenser with a flush grill. I was also able to do so on a 200 Tdi and a Td5, but had to remove the diagonal braces. When I went with a larger intercooler, I had to go with an extended grille. ( since you're a v8, that's not a concern.)

If you go with one of Nostalgic Air's Superflow condensers, it will work fine without an auxiliary fan if you don't have room, but if you got room, i'd put one on.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, ac