Air conditioning - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 1st, 2004, 12:29 AM
scottheise
scott heise

Air conditioning

It seems that my air conditioner needs an expansion valve. Apparently this is a part that no longer is made or carried. Would like to know if anyone knows where to obtain a new one,(Rovers North and dealer can not get one) or is there a substitute I can use for the current one. Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2004, 12:39 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

94 or 95/97 style AC

"expansion valve" I am not familiar with name for a part.
Old October 5th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

My mechanic adapted one from a BMW part, I believe. It seems these units were of the same brand that was fitted in many gray-market imports during the 80's. The place that fixed it could likely tell you what they used, or even order you the part. Jeff Cobb Autoworks in Baton Rouge, LA is the shop, if you care to do a phone listing search on-line. Ask for Jeff, tell him what you have. He is all too familiar with a Defender a/c.
Advertisement

Old October 7th, 2004, 11:14 PM
scottheise
scott heise

Thanks Robert. I will try him tommorrow. How does your ac work now?
Scott
Old October 8th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

The a/c is working pretty well now. It seems like it still has a tendency to freeze up, like it did when I bought the truck (with 25k on the odometer). I think below dash add-on units are more prone to do this, though.

Ask him to explain any modifications that were made to get the part to fit, as I seem to recall it may not have been a straight fit, exactly. The parts for this unit, though, are simply not available, or extremely cost prohibitive. Neither my mechanic, nor myself could find anyone carrying an expansion valve, or showing it listed to readily order.

Other part substitutes can be made, like the condensor. If the total cost on repair gets too high, RDS and Rovers North offer replacements. I'd rather put $2k in a new unit then spend the same over a two year period on various odds and ends, even if I had to save for it over a year. By the way, Jeff's number is 225-343-7525.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions