Defender Source Forum banner

Air Conditioner / OVERHEAT

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Flagg 
#1 ·
Guys,

Background:
My air conditioner has been making strange sounds.........and the air is not so cold anymore.

--------------

Today:
I am on the highway - flip the air conditioning on - not really cold at all - a few minutes later temperature gauge starts to visibly climb toward the red. I start to get ready to pull over - I have never seen the gauge move like this. Figure I am overheating. Do not yet make the connection that it is the air conditioner. The gauge passes into the red.

I start to pull over, and flip the air off at the same time. The temperature gauge starts to drop at the same rate. I keep driving - figuring the air blowing over the motor might be a good thing. Temperature gauge returns to normal in the middle. Needless to say, I did not flip the air conditioning back on. I did drive it quite a bit more today - no more overheating problems.

--------------

I assume that my air conditioner compressor is broken? I never knew it would effect the temperature like this, or this fast.

At this point I am going to look into it in the spring. Seems like a bad idea to look at any air conditioning system going into the fall.............

But I would like some of your expert opinions now :)

Flagg

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm battling a/c issues as well right now and have learned alot. is you compressor coming on? is it cycling on and off? is your electric fan in front of your radiator coming on with the compressor?

all important to resolving your issues.

#3 ·
Thanks Mark!

I need to figure out how to identify these issues. Thanks for all your help and advice!

Did any of your A/C issues cause the temperature gauge to shoot up like crazy? That was my surprise. I have had A/C die in other cars - but not had an effect like that!

Thanks, Flagg

#4 ·
Had a similar issue with overheating but needle would only move when I was idling with the AC on and I figured that was just the way it was with Defenders (what with the reputation they have with overheating anyway). The high pressure hose sprung a leak and while the D was at the shop to replace it the mechanic said the Compressor was probably on its last leg also. I asked him what a new compressor cost and he said that they are unavailable.

Does anyone know where a new one can be had and if not can they be rebuilt? Seems like there would be someone in the Houston area that does that.

#5 ·
I had my shop look into it. I was probably not going to make any repairs going into the winter - but I wanted it at least diagnosed.

It was discovered that several bolts holding the AC belts were extremely loose or off in once case. They tightened up all the bolts, and it now works like a charm and passed all their AC tests. I needed no new parts. Sometimes a problem turns out to be easier then I thought!!!!!!

Flagg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.