Aftermarket CD that does not skip?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 24th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Jeffrey Rosbrugh
95 D90 ST #2585
Aftermarket CD that does not skip??

I did search, and I know this has been covered but could nto find it anywhere. Potentialy, I have beecome a seach-idiot, and for that I must appologize. It may be to the lack of decent radio in the 90. I ahve replaced the one that was trashed by the PO with a crappy Jensen Marine that I used to love, but now skips like a flat rock across a pond. So I am now looking for a replacement. I prefer not to have a changer and prefer to ahve a marine grade cause I get caught in the random downpour every so often and that seems to be hard on most electronics. There is a Clarion 455 I believe, but it says 30 degrees max and that spooks me. Any sugestions?? Thanks as always.

Pain is weakness leaving the body
Old May 25th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel
Alpines are supposed to very tolerant of steep angles - common replacement for Range Rover Classics - I've also heard of Pioneer head units being used with great success. I've got a Sony in my RRC and it works pretty well - only skips over the big rocks at Tellico.

Don't know about the weatherproof units though.

Old May 25th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017
Pioneer is what I have in mine and it works perfect. Any radio that gets "soaked" is going to have a problem.
Mike Lynch
Mike's Rover Page
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90
If your current radio (head untit) works (or worded well before) I would stick with that brand but for me just as Mike stated "Pioneer" it's a great brand, I'm on my 3rd/4th unit due to usage not neglect & no skipping yet...

Just tossing in my nickel !
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:08 AM
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor
Originally Posted by JackW
Alpines are supposed to very tolerant of steep angles - common replacement for Range Rover Classics .
Alpine won't handle it. We have tried them, They fail in short order just like most others.
Run a head unit with a CD changer and it eliminates the issue, or if Pioneer is working on steep angles for folks go with that, but most manufactures (including Pioneer) state that the angle of a D90 is too steep for their CD suspension to last long term.
I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:14 AM
George Parthmer
1995/d-90 #2715 yellowST
i am using a clarion marine cd head unit. it seems pretty tolerant to abuse ... although i have only had it about a year. the waterproof part is what i was really looking for but it hasnt skipped so that is a bonus.
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:20 AM
J Phillips
1997 D90 SW
I put an Alpine in mine after my factory Clarion died. I do have mine located in the dash rather than the center console. It does however oprerate at a steep angle. I have not had any problems with skipping so far.
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC
I have found that it is hit and miss for most units. My alpine did not work, so I replaced it with a JVC in both my D90 and Rangie and it works great. Some models work better than others and some individual units work great and others of the same model don't. Mine has a input jack in the face that I plug my ipod directly into--it is a great feature I stongly recommend. I rarely use cd's anymore.
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Paul Schuetz
1991 Range Rover
I have Alpines in both my Classic and the D 90. The RRC finally died after 6 years, head unit wont play CDs anymore. Im going to replace it with another just like the D 90. I forgot which model but it runs the XM from the head unit and also the iPod. I dont really care about the changer with the iPod anymore so I think Im going to mount an inverter in the spot. The changer in integrated into the speakerbox for the 10 in the stock location on the classic.

If you dont want to deal witht he skip, get an iPod with the FM access point and use the existing unit.

Later, Paul
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:02 AM
1993 D110
JVC, no problems here.
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Tony Brooks
I put a panasonic in the 90 4 years ago and promptly didn't put the top on the truck for most of that time. It lasted for 4 years getting rained on, snowed on, soaked in mud, and I only eventually had to replace it when there was so much condensation that I couldn't see the readout. But it still worked.

The pioneer in the lwb is a ginormous POS, though, and at 3 months old will occasionally not eject the disc.

Mike's right, go with the changer and whatever brand you like and be assured it'll work.
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275
I recall that most Blaupunkt CD radio's can handle a vertical mounting. Something about being the stock radio for mid-80's BMWs that had their radio's mounted that way. I've got a Blaupunkt in dash CD /MP3 in my stock console. Rarely if ever skips.
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
I could run circles around Dave Souzas 90
Old May 25th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Adam Hairston
97 LE #127/300
Forget the CD player and go MP3 compatible. No skipping. The new head units usually have jacks to accommodate input. Either in the front for a temporary installation or in the back to have lines permanently ready.

Once you can bring hundreds of CD's loaded into a tiny, self contained unit, and listen to your hearts content, you will never go back to the "plastic disc". Seems old fashioned.

As for MP3 players there are several on the market at the $100 price point that have ton's of storage and work great. Of course you can always succumb to marketing hype and purchase an Ipod but it won't do any better job than other units for playing music.
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:49 AM
alex howell
94 d90
I use Prestige (Pioneer's upmarket brand) in my 90 and in my mustang, both for 4 yrs. In the 90 Ive had 1 skip. In the car it will only skip if I hit a speed bump way to fast (stupid bumps). I have had a lot of different head units, and this is by far the best brand....

just my 2 pence
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:13 AM
97 D90 ST, 04 D2

If you're searching for the last thread on this topic, it probably would have been mine. I've got a 97 D-90, and didn't want to drill into the dash, so I needed something that would play completely verticle. I originally wanted a aftermarket head unit that didn't look like it was just pulled from Tom Cruise's spaceship, so I went with the very retro-looking Nakamichi CD400. Unfortuantely, I couldn't drive my over a pebble without a CD skipping. I took my installer's advice and replaced it with an Alpine CDA-9847. Certainly doesn't look retro like the Nakamichi, but it's got a black faceplate, has a ton of funtions, and has never skipped once. I'll drive over potholes at 60 MPH and the thing just keeps on crankin'. And that's playing should handle your angled 95 stock stereo location with ease.

I would HIGHLY reccommend this head unit to you or any other Defender owners.
Old May 26th, 2006, 03:07 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
$28 at walmart walkman type with 60sec memory including DC adaptor, little remote and the tape adaptor to plug into the stock tape deck.

Has not skipped even once.
*not legal advice*
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Paul Dandini
None :-(
+1 on the MP3.
Takes a little time to load up music - but well worth it .
I went with the Alpine CDA-9857 and so far it's been working great. This unit came with a full speed IPOD cable.

Good luck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions