Advices on buying used D90 on eBay - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 27th, 2005, 03:49 AM
reaper99999
Eric Yip
95 Alpine White SW

Advices on buying used D90 on eBay

Hi, looking to buy my first 95/95 SW.

- Just wondering what I should to if I see a car, say on eBay, but it's too far away for me to go there and check it out myself. Should I ask the seller to bring it in to an authorized LR dealer and run a full inspection (if so, what kind of inpection is that called?)?

- Should I consider cars over 100K miles? If so, what kind of things should I expect to replace or pay special attention to?

- How does the mileage affect the price?

- What price difference should I expect between a 95 and a 97 in similar condition? (eg. same mileage, similar repair history etc)

Thx a lot.
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2005, 08:31 AM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Hmm.. those can be tough questions. I personally would like to see some sort of inspection done on a vehicle I had to buy site unseen, especially a Defender. Owner records are real important, especially in higher mileage trucks.

Pushing 100K means things like clutch master & slave go, catalytic converters, tensioner pulleys, water pump, etc. (at least on my truck). Now remember, a 95 is 10 years old. Even with low mileage, stuffs gonna let go. One note, I prefer a truck that's been used regularly, but well taken care of and not abused off road. Save the low mileage garage queens for the 'investors' out there, they can be more trouble then they're worth, and you'll pay through the nose. For a daily driver, buy someone's daily driver, even if it has higher miles. These trucks like to be driven.

A nice 95 SW with between 50-100K mileage... low to mid 20's maybe? similar 97, upper 20's to low 30's? Tough to really gauge as prices can be all over based on who's selling, the condition, and where. Low mileage trucks can be much higher. The limited SW 95's can add to the price too, it just depends. I personally paid a small premium because I wanted a local truck. I wanted to drive it and get a chance to look it over well before purchasing. A ~ 30K purchase might be worth a plane ticket.

my $.02
Old January 27th, 2005, 01:12 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Dave has good advice here. Mileage wise, really difficult as they are all over the place. For me is the key 62,000 mile inspection. If the D is close to it, ask for that inspection, if over ask for the results. The challenge with Ebay is the seller does not have to do anything, most cars are listed as is. In any light, ask about service records - are they all there, has EVER scheduled maintanence been done and done on time, what were the major repairs, etc.
I asked a seller all this on Ebay and did not get a reply, then got only partial answers. Ebay can net you good prices but... Defenders are 11,10,9, and 8 years old. Treat them as such.
I see you are from CA, go to the club area in here and look for local input as there are several. I do not know your neck of the woods, but there must be something. Also, this site is a good one. Look at what is here and go from there.
My .02 cents

Follow-up Post:

Just saw the arbik post on towing a D90 on a flatbed.
Send him a personal mail from this site, and ask him a question or two
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2005, 01:57 PM
UpnOver
David Williams
'97 Yellow ST

Eric,
If its a over 50k miles, I definitely would have it checked out. Any land rover can do a full inspection on the truck. I ask my local awhile back. My last two land rovers (discoII and 97D90) had all the stamps and all the service records in a book with the truck. I would personally never purchase another land rover without any service records. For the money you pay for a defender, its not worth the headache later down the road.

David
Old January 27th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

There are some quirks to be aware of also that should be addressed. Most cases they aren't done, but be prepared to do them.

Oil cooler hoses. Replace as soon as you pick up the truck, very important.
Expect a head gasket job around the 75-100k mark.
O2 sensors are pricey, and also need replacing around that milage.

Best bet is also have every fluid changed as soon as you get the truck. Oil, Coolant, Brake Flud, Tranny, X-Case, Axles... all of it

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 27th, 2005, 04:00 PM
reaper99999
Eric Yip
95 Alpine White SW

Hi Guys, thx for all your advices.

Dave and Hans, how much are we talking about to replace the things you mentioned? Which one can I replace on my own?

Thx,
Eric
Old January 27th, 2005, 07:59 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Hmm... Most of what I said can be done by a decent DIY guy, the clutch master is a PITA though. There's probably a $500 or so in the parts I've mentioned. Other things I've done is radiator, fan clutch (definitely), exhaust. If none of the things we've mentioned have been done on a higher mileage truck (which is unlikely really, some of would have to have been) I'd figure a good grand for parts, maybe? And a head gasket is a big labor job, and getting a little more advanced for most DIYs. You'd probably end up shaving the head a bit, and a valve job.

But I'm not so sure all trucks will need a head gasket around a 100K, I think it depends on if it was well taken care of. These trucks can begin to run hot when the cooling system gets old (those clutch fans let go fairly quickly), and if allowed to run that way will surely result in a head gasket failure in the not to distance future for the truck. I've been manic about not letting my truck get past 3/4, and installed a VDO gauge to watch it more accurately. Got off on a tangent there, but anyway...
Old January 27th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I agree that the head gaskets may not need to be done, just be prepared for it in case they do. I'm just in a head gasket mindset since I just did mine, as well as timing chain and camshaft. Probably only torturing myself on that one, the headgaskets had some slight leakage but nothing of massive concern. Ironically, I'm already planning an engine swap at 150k. Then again, I like building engines and the 3.9 is still a new experience for me :-)

The biggies are definitely the oil cooler hoses ($200 parts) which I think is the most important of it all. If they fail, it's engine time. The fan clutch ($150 parts) is #2 to get tested or replaced. Other than that, replace the fluids and get the cooling system flushed out properly. Basically, the oiling and cooling systems are the major concens to keep healthy and will contribute to better longevity.

-Hans

Old January 27th, 2005, 08:33 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Basically, the oiling and cooling systems are the major concens to keep healthy and will contribute to better longevity.
Here-here... well said Hans. Now I have to get those damn oil lines replaced
Old January 27th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yeah, I have to do my oil cooler lines too still. I'm just waiting to hear back from anybody that can confirm the fitting sizes coming out of the oil pump so that I can order the parts. I'm going to be installing an upgraded cooler and an oil thermostat with a couple other goodies :-)

-Hans

Old January 28th, 2005, 02:26 AM
reaper99999
Eric Yip
95 Alpine White SW

Thx again guys for all the useful information.
More questions :P

Would you name all the recalls on the 95? Wasn't there something like a xfer case problem or something like that?

Rust. Which part of the car is most likely going to have problems? Where should I pay attention to? What conditions should signal red flags?

If I understand you guys correctly, does it mean that I shouldn't shun a car just b/c it has high mileage, since I would have to face similar problems eventually as I rack up miles on a low mileage car?

Thx again,
Eric

Follow-up Post:

One more thing. I read numerous msgs about avoiding East Coast cars b/c of the rust problem. Are they all bad? Does Florida cars count?

Thx,
Eric
Old February 2nd, 2005, 08:37 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

On a related note...

I bought my D-90 on Ebay a while back. I'm on the West Coast, and it was in the East.

Definitely buy through their (Ebay's) designated "Household Bank" financing branch. At the time I did, they offered a lot more protection than just posting bad feedback. You'll have to check yourself, but at the time, if you used their financing, you could have it returned, no problem, in a dispute. Otherwise, you are screwed, and you only get to post a bad comment-big deal, right?!

Their APR% was fairly high, but I refinanced immediately through my credit union. There wasn't a penalty, and it didn't cost me a cent.

I'm glad I had that protection though...

Oh, also, I had the guy FAX me the service records for the vehicle. As it had been serviced, exclusively, at the local LR dealership, I called the Service Manager. He talked "off the record" and gave me his thoughts.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 07:28 AM
ripp2002
L C
94 Defender 90

HANS,

Not to get off topic here, but what oil cooler are you upgrading to? How much do they run. Are you going with a oil temp gauge or a oil pressure gauge?

Thanks,
Larry

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, buying, d90, ebay