advice on springs please.. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 14th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Rowdy90
Chad yates
97 D90

advice on springs please..

My d90 is doing the ol left rear sag, so I am going to replace springs and shocks. Anyone got any input on lifts (pros and cons and preferred brands) or should I go back stock? I think I would like a lift, but I drive it everyday. I'm wondering about ride and handling... Thanks in advance for any opinions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Rowdy90
Chad yates
97 D90

Thanks Jeff! I've got 265's on it. Was thinking of just 2 inches... From what I gather there isn't much mods required. Just don't want it to look silly while I finish put the life of my tires, I may go bigger when they wear out. I would like the extra ground clearance though...

------ Follow up post added August 14th, 2013 08:58 AM ------

Basically what I was considering was like the ome 2" kit that comes with springs and shocks...
Old August 14th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy90 View Post
Basically what I was considering was like the ome 2" kit that comes with springs and shocks...
I've got the 2" OME and have been happy with it so far. It sits nicely with 285/75's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I put a 2" Terra Firma lift. I have an ARB bumper, Hi Lift, spare tire and winch up front so I had to go with the Heavy Duty and it rides much better than when I had the Med Duty. I would stay 2" or less.
Old August 14th, 2013, 10:57 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Lifting a 97 will likley bring on vibes and other issues for you to deal with. I use my off road as often as possible and I drive it daily. In my experieince it is not as simple as springs and shocks. I have a medium duty Old Man Emu lift on my 97SW. My set up has lasted 9 years without problems but includes GBR front and rear DC drive shafts, brake line extensions, adjustable rear trailing arms and EE spring retainers. If you just like the look of the lift maybe save some money on labor and use a 1-2" spring spacers. If the lean to the left is not significant maybe a shim would help correct the look.

Clay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blackberry 485.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	77638  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 14th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Rowdy90
Chad yates
97 D90

Do you have to modify driveshafts and extend brake lines for 2" on a 97 NAS?
Old August 14th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Nope
Old August 14th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Just finished having my springs/shocks/bushings changed out. Went with the HD LR and Bilstein setup Rovers North offers and used genuine bushings. I also added a LR spring isolator in the rear, and LR rubberized front shock tower spring mounts to help smooth out highway joints and street bumps.

Pretty pleased so far. The ride seems a tad stiffer without load, but my springs and shocks were so bad, its hard to remember what it rode like new. A lot more control, though, and it doesn't seem to feel every road bump. Overall, I'd say it sits more than an inch higher than before. The stance is similar to the military rovers. With Michelin XZL 7.50's now on the truck, I've easily got room to go larger if I wanted.
Old August 14th, 2013, 01:58 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:

That's what I have on my truck and this is fine for 33" tires. 285 width brings some rubbing so turn stop should be readjusted. I think if I had a choice I would have tried/gone with 255 instead (still 33" tires though). No vibration or driveline issues for me.

Note that 285, 265 and 255 is the width of the tire. 75, 65, 55, etc is what defines the height based on the width. Quick google search will bring you a better explanation!
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old August 14th, 2013, 02:38 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Do you have to modify driveshafts and extend brake lines for 2" on a 97 NAS?
The 97D's experieince more driveline vibes due to the auto tranny IMO.

When I lifted my 97SW with just springs and shocks I got drivelines vibes. I had the same springs and shocks trasnfered from my POE D90 that had no vibes. Ignoring the vibes I felt would lead to other driveline issues or premature failures. I switched to a DC front shaft which helped a little but things didn't smooth out to an acceptable level until I installed adjustible rear trailing arms. The rear axel needed to move forward about an inch. I didnt extend my brake lines until I learned the hard way. I snaped a stock line while climbing down from a steep drop. Getting off the mountian and the 5 hour drive home was not fun that day.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 14th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
A spring lift does not affect axle travel. So tire clearance and brake line extension can't be affected. You need to change shock length or mounts for that.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old August 14th, 2013, 03:34 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
A spring lift does not affect axle travel. So tire clearance and brake line extension can't be affected. You need to change shock length or mounts for that.
Thanks John. For clarification, if you use extended travel shocks (as I did) or lowering you shock mounts, you may want to consider also extending your brake lines to avoid the mistake I made.

Clay

Old August 14th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Rowdy90
Chad yates
97 D90

Ok, so I should be safe going with the spring and shock 2" kit? If so, any reviews on manufactures? I've heard ome pretty much has all the kinks worked out on their kit....
Old August 15th, 2013, 07:17 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
OME 751/764 springs, whatever shocks you please. OME has a one size fits all these days I am not sure about that. I had to add adjustable rear links on my 95

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions