Advice on shocks/springs, exhaust - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 24th, 2004, 02:01 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Advice on shocks/springs, exhaust

I am sure this is a beaten horse, but after doing a search and getting a bazillion hits I read through the first 20 and didn't get what I was looking for, so I thought I'd just ask.

What are recommendations for shocks and springs? Is "OME" really the last word? What is better about the OME than the Rancho? The 9000s seem to have the advantage of being 9-way adjustable. The 5000s seem on par with the OME shocks roughly.

Springs are a shorter list to consider. I've read about the OMEs on RN and a few other sites - but what is the end-user opinion of them? Are HDs too stiff for mostly onroad driving? Are medium-duties a good compromise? Does anyone put HDs on the rear and mediums on the front if you plan to tow now and again? A little bit of a lift would be great - 2" or so is fine for me at this time.

Another question is in regarding exhaust systems. Who makes headers for the D90? Which do you recommend? Where is a good place to purchase them from?

Thanks --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2004, 02:50 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Jason, I installed HD OME shocks/springs in the front and back

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=1783

I think that if I did again, I'd go with med duty. Some riders have said the ride is too stiff, and although not objectionable to me, I think that I'd go with the meds. I don't load up the truck very often. Some are running mixed MD/HD and if you do some searches, or wait long enough for replies, you'll see comments here.

I called Bill Burke and got a lot of good advice from him in buying. Very good price and objective advice.
Old August 24th, 2004, 08:21 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

I've got the OME HDs on the front and the Meds on the rear. So far the ride is good on and off road. I've currently got Bilstiens in the stock size. I have a set of Rancho's for the rear that have yet to be put on. I ran Ranchos on my ranger and they didn't last too long. I bought the ones for the D as a temporary fix untill I can get the cash for the 7100 series Bilstiens. You might also want to look at Rovertym springs. He's changed his supplier and that seems to have solved the problems people were having with them. Don't know anything about headers.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2004, 09:07 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

I'm running the Bilstein 7100's on my 110, and really like them. One thing to know about them though is that the nickel plated finish rusts very easily. This is in SoCal so it'll be far worse in any rust-belt areas.
Old August 25th, 2004, 03:23 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Thanks for the replies and the link to the thread.

@Ken,
The specs on the medium duty springs seem to stress that if you ever plan to add a winch, get the HD OMEs. I was thinking medium duty until I read a bit about that. Are the HDs kindof "bone jarring"? Do you notice it more in the front, or in the rear? The rear is much less loaded normally, so maybe MD in the rear, HD in the front?

@Tyler,
Does your truck ride level with the HD front, MD rear springs? I found a cheap pair of HDs for the front & thought about MDs for the rear... then, I was thinking about installing the adjustable Ranchos - when I would tow, I could stiffen up the rear to help compensate for the added tongue weight. What model Ranchos did you have - the 5000 or the 9000 adjustables?
Old August 25th, 2004, 04:03 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Jason, Ya know, I didn't really notice it until Mike said that he saw me bouncing around in the seat a lot. The stereo isn't that loud and I don't have very good rhythm, so it wasn't me dancing to the tunes.

To me, it's not "bone jarring", just "truck-like". "What do you expect?" says me. Also, to level the truck front-to-rear, the guys have suggested putting MD in the back to level it out, just like you said. There are several other discussions like this on the board if you haven't looked already.
Old August 25th, 2004, 05:17 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

It rides level. I had to add a spacer under the left front to compinsate for the slight lean due to the springs not being matched. The OMEs are set up for right drive trucks with the weight of the driver and fuel tank. I have the adjustables 9005. I never noticed a difference when I would change the settings on them. If you tow alot you might want to look into airbags for the rears or getting a set of helper springs.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:05 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

@Ken - LOL

@Tyler,
I have 9000s on my offroad pickup truck and I definitely notice a different ride feel when I adjust them - from VERY stiff to reasonable (for a truck). It's got dual shocks all the way around, so it's alot of adjusting. I think I have blown a one of more of them, though, since I've begun to get uneven return from a bounce/bump.

Well maybe I'll try RS9000s on the rear with medium springs in back & HDs in front...

Is everyone running stock or stainless non-header exhaust?
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:39 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

The HD springs loosen up a lot after several months. Just from experience with OPTs. (I run boring old stock springs with bilstiens)
Old August 25th, 2004, 08:54 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Well I have the OME HD front and MD rear like some here have and had to add some 10mm spring packers in the rear to level it up when loaded down for a trip. When empty, with just the rear seat in place the truck sits nose down about 1" or less. That's cool with me, not hot rod style, but the rear is higher. And I have ARB and winch in the front too so that makes the front dip more than a stock front end.

WHEN my rear springs give out or start to sag I will replace with the OME HD rear and see what happens.

Call John Lee at EE and talk to him about it.

Wicks, you're really on stock springs with all that gear on your rig?
Old August 26th, 2004, 12:12 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

I also am running OME HD springs in front and MD in the rear with OME shocks. ARB bumper and winch up front. Smooth ride when compared to my FJ60 with the adjustable Rancho 9000's but not like a sedan. I had a slight difference in the lift b/w front and rear, fixed with EE spring spacers.
As for heders check out:
http://www.sdpc2000.com/search.asp?s...9800&doQuery=1
Let me know if you get them and what you find out.
Old August 26th, 2004, 03:27 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Oh and EE's spring isolators work well as something to consider when you get in there.
Old August 26th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I just noticed Ken mentioned me, here's my take on it; when I road in Kens 90 it was very stiff in comparison to mine, it feels closer to a 3/4 ton truck then to a car, when anyone rids in my 90 they say it is surprisingly very smooth and rids nice. When Ken was taking corners, his 90 would not lean/sway nearly as much as mine does, but then again I sit a bit higher then ken. I have Rovertym springs, normally I have nothing but 200lbs of tools and stuff in the back, and I never add more then 400lbs, and it only squats a little with all of that. No noticeable bad effects when towing small trailers (under 2000lbs). Then there’s the off road thing , Kens 90 was not that fun to rid in, it road like it had almost no springs compared to my 90. This was more noticeable on the trails that were rocky, I think if Ken had another 300 or 400 lbs on board then it might have helped things out a bit, but with only Ken, Zach and I riding with maybe 200 lbs of gear it was fairly stiff.
Old August 26th, 2004, 01:25 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

@Ron, how rough do you feel that your D rides with those HDs up front?

@Mike M, those headers are for a Range Rover - will they fit in the engine bay/frame of the D90?

@Wicks, you do seem to have ALOT of gear up front for stock springs - how does that work for you?

@Mike H, how do the Rovertym springs compare to the OMEs? Are they closer to MD I take it? Do you have some other form of mild lift installed?
Old August 26th, 2004, 01:57 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Jason, my 90 rides great with the HD up front and the MD in the back, not rough at all. The reason I would switch to HD in the back is to allow for greater load capacity. I live about 3 hours from the places I normally wheel and camp and that means I go for at least overnight, often a couple of nights, and carry cooking gear, camp gear, etc. in the 90. When fully loaded with all that crap the truck squats about 1/4 to 1/2 inch lower than the front. I hate that 4-Runner look.

Since I have the ARB and the winch up front the HD springs are always under load, so they flex and provide a smooth ride. The rear is the same.
Old August 26th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

3" lift from the springs, and spacers up front to level out for the weight of the ARB/winch. I road in Chris Von C's 90 and he has the HD/MD setup, his road much better on the trail then Kens, much softer, I did not get a chance to do any highway riding. Still Chris's 90 was a little stiffer then mine. I like the Rovertym springs better from the how I have see 90s Disco's and Rangy's perform on the trail compared to OME's, they seem to flex better.

As far as Rancho's go I have the 9000s in the rear of my 90, and I can feel a big difference in the shock setting, I can take corners much harder with the shock turned up all the way, and with them turned down all the way it is a much smoother ride on the trail. Can't say much about other shocks as I have not tried any others besides the Fox's up front and the only thing I can say about them is THEY RULE!
Old August 26th, 2004, 02:42 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

I had a set of RR4 (front HD) and RR1 (rear HD) Rovertym springs on a 1997 Discovery back in 2001. The rears sagged within 6 months. So much so that I had to install 1.5" aluminum spacers underneath them to get it back to level when loaded. I got about 2" to 2.5" inches of lift overall. With my 90 and the OME springs I got at least 2" in front and close to 3" in the back.

I believe I read or heard that RTE has a new wire source so maybe their springs last longer, I know they offer softer rated springs in a greater variety of spring lengths.
Old August 26th, 2004, 03:22 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Yes I see that the headers are for the RR. I don't even know if they are for the 4.0 L V8. When I found this site I was a little skepitical of the whole header thing so I ended my search. I never contacted them at the site. If you are interested, then you can take it from here. Let me know what you find if you follow up.
Old August 26th, 2004, 04:34 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Ok, I didn't read what everyone said so if I repeated some info please forgive me

Rancho shocks are ok compared to OME, and crap compared to Fox. To help you pick the best shocks for you application here how it goes. If you are going with OME springs then I would strongly suggest you go with OME shocks. As for springs it's your choice. HD front and MD rear seems to be a winner as for ride quality, companied with OME soft valve shocks. If you are looking to tow, AB sells a rear air bag leveling kit that should help you with keeping the truck level when towing. I’ve driven D90 with OME springs and rancho shocks and it can tell you it sucked. I drove a D90 with OME springs and OME stiff shocks, my god my back hurts. I drove a d90 with OME springs and soft valve shock and it rode REALLY nice. I also driven a D90 with OME HD springs all the way around with rancho shocks, and I can tell you that thing cornered like a sports car (no sway bars) but I had to go to the Chiropractor the next day . It’s your choice.

Your next choice is Rovertym. Steve's new springs are great; they are much much better than the old style. To avoid changing your trailing arms, radius arms, and drive shafts go with 2" lift. Now I wouldn't recommend running the OME shocks with this setup as they are short for that much lift and will limit your down travel. In this case go with Rancho. They are the same price as OME but you can get them with more travel, and if you don't mind spending some extra $$ then go with fox. Why Fox?? If you are here in CO come drive my D90 and I bet you you’ll spend the extra money for those bad boys.

Headers??? Can't help you much. However, there is a guy here in CO that used to be in NASCAR and he can build you a headers. How much??? No idea. But I will guarantee you that you WILL gain hp and trq. He built few systems that blew my mind away. This guy is your man. Maybe if we can get enough people I can take my D90 to him and ask him to build a headers that will bolt to the factory Y-pipe, but then the factory Y pipe sucks big time unless he build a new flange to increase the flow. What you guys think?
Old August 26th, 2004, 04:59 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

headers? I'd be interested...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
exhaust