advice on seals? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 26th, 2007, 03:40 PM
hlamar
Heston LaMar
97 NAS D90 ST #1789

advice on seals?

See related recent post on "Sea Foam burnt up seals?". Turns out my mechanic says most of my seals were already shot but likely "sealed-up" by sludge. Once I ran the Sea Foam through the oil, bye-bye sludge and hello leaks (arrgghh!). Apparently, my head gaskets are leaking both oil and coolant. The rear main seal is also leaking, as is the oil pan and crankcase.

It is the local LR dealer, but I am good friends with the owner. The estimate to replace everything, including the trans. oil cooler lines (leak up front, not by the exhaust mani. or cats) was $6,200. Even the owner of the dealership was like "holy $h*t". He said he could knock ~20% off, but it is still a bundle.

Any experience out there with similar problems? Are there certain seals that seem to be the best? I have 80K miles on the 4.0, while the engine is out, should I just do a whole rebuild?

Thanks much,

Heston
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Question

Could you buy a new 4.0 or 4.6 for that price?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 29th, 2007, 12:04 PM
hlamar
Heston LaMar
97 NAS D90 ST #1789

I was wondering the same thing. Anyone out there know the price on a new 4.0?
Advertisement

Old January 29th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Grover
Mike

Registry
Try Atlantic British. I think they want about 4~5K for a 4.0...

What about ERC dropping in a 4.6?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 29th, 2007, 02:01 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover

You'd have to call ECR, but I believe it would be in the same price range for a 4.6, but that doesn't include installation. http://www.eastcoastrover.com/RoverV8.html
Old January 29th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Grover
Mike

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover

check it out...http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9257F.cfm

Old January 29th, 2007, 06:19 PM
TND90
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST

I think there is a guy selling brand new 4.0's on ebay for around 3K. The item number is 150085616069. Just type this number in the search box.

If you choose to have all the seals replaced, I would think you could find a good shop to do it for much less considering you could get most the parts yourself for about $200-$300.

I'm replacing the oil sump gasket ($15) right now and I am about to replace the front and rear main seals ($30 or $40 bucks).

Good luck
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

If you're replacing EVERY seal in the engine, I would consider it very foolish not to spring for a full rebuild and get new bearings and rings in the deal as well. You're doing all the labor intensive work anyways.

I'd look into either getting a new or properly rebuilt long block, or possibly a low milage used engine. It's possible your block can be rebuilt as well, that all depends on the sleeve wear and such, as well as a few other factors that need to be checked by a machinist familiar with the type. D&D is stocking undersized bearings now, not sure if he offers full rebuilds on the 4.0/4.6 or not.

-Hans

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:33 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

If this is not your daily driver, I would get a kegerator and a keg of good beer and have a tech day or six at your house. For 6200 you could buy a lot of beer and also buy a beater to use for a few weeks, then sell it again.

I am sure that most of the people here would help out if they were close. I would if you were in GA.

Old February 6th, 2007, 12:44 AM
hlamar
Heston LaMar
97 NAS D90 ST #1789

Thanks so much for everyone's input. I have put an email into Mike at ECR and also started looking around at some of the 4.0's for sale. I wish that I had the tools and tech expertise to replace all the seals myself, but I am alas a newbie. Without some experienced help, I think that I would likely waste a lot of time figuring stuff out. As fun as that might be, my wife might kill me if I drop that much time in the garage...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
seals