Advice on how to get 2nd fuel tank filler location to look stock. - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 18th, 2012, 10:37 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I suggest looking into the single filler method first before worrying about the dent. I've been trying to get anyone on this forum to try this:
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_fuel.htm
for years as I discovered it after I had my body side cut. Matt Browne at OE did the work and did a fine job and I know he spent a ton of time ensuring it lined up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3475.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	46280  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2012, 12:00 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I found my Rover Accessories Auxiliary / AUX fuel tank instructions / owner's manual. For your enjoyment and future reference.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1737997910.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	46628   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-174106881.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	46629  

Name:	image-153492162.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	46630   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3600326828.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	46631  

Name:	image-1011112246.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	46632   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4063522751.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	46633  

Name:	image-297122161.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	46635  
Old January 26th, 2012, 11:56 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

gas tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
Just because you have a small dent doesn't mean a fuel filler will make it look better. I don't think the dent is that bad but it is personal preference. I am looking at adding 2 tanks under the seat boxes and wouldn't cut a whole in the side but would manually fill it up from inside the seat box. John is right, and I have seen a y pipe to fill the aux tank from the original filler, but I don't know how feasible it is with larger tires under full articulation. Seems to me, anyone running a bit larger tire might hit that pipe. Don't know for sure.

I'd like to see photos of options.
Daniel,
I will shoot you some pics of the aux fuel tank that I fill up by moving my passenger seat cushion. I cut out the tool box under the seat and used the Euro tank with a welded filler neck on it. I run a small fuel pump and trasfer the gas from the aux to the main tank. There is also a line running from the main fuel filler neck back to the tank which recirculates any overflow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2012, 05:25 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Does anyone have a Rover Accessories auxiliary fuel tank with the little fuel pump? I can't tell from my instructions (the photo above) which little fuel pump I should buy, and I won't have the truck for the next 2 weeks. All it says is a Carter replacement fuel pump. I can't tell if it has a 3/4 or 3/8 hose in and out, and what pressure I should get. I guess it doesn't matter on the pressure all that much since i just run the pump for a little bit to fill up the main tank, then just shut it back off.

I got the following numbers from Carter, or if anyone else is running a different fuel pump for their RA Aux fuel tank, please let me know.

P74017 carter 3/8 14 lb. pressure. $76

P74019 carter 3/4 (I think, maybe still 3/8)5.5-9 lb pressure. $56
Old April 28th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I found my Rover Accessories Auxiliary / AUX fuel tank instructions / owner's manual. For your enjoyment and future reference.
Josh- thanks for posting those...does anyone know whos d90 that is in the first photos? the brownish color one. dont know the name of the color and dont mean to screw it up. That is one of the NICEST d90s I have seen!! Well sorted.
Old April 28th, 2012, 07:37 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Looks like a UK one.
Old April 21st, 2016, 01:43 AM
lithium1330
Chris
'97 SW NAS 4.6

Registry
rijosho, I found out I have an aux fuel tank with the new-to-me D90. And after some searching and coming across the manual you posted here, i think the tank might be from Rover Accessories.
Did you ever install the aux tank on your truck? Do you have any pictures of it? Thanks!

Here is the tank on my truck:

Name:	extra gas tank.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	147760

And the Carter fuel pump:

Name:	tank pump.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	147761
Old April 21st, 2016, 09:09 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lithium1330 View Post
rijosho, I found out I have an aux fuel tank with the new-to-me D90. And after some searching and coming across the manual you posted here, i think the tank might be from Rover Accessories.
Did you ever install the aux tank on your truck? Do you have any pictures of it? Thanks!

Here is the tank on my truck:
Attachment 147760

And the Carter fuel pump:
Attachment 147761
Mine was already installed in my truck when I bought it. Your set-up looks fine. Review the instructions and see if anything is out of the ordinary. Check if it's gravity fed to your main tank or pumped in via an extra fuel pump which is switched on from your cabin - if switched, then don't run the pump unless you have fuel in your aux tank because you'll burn out your aux fuel pump. As a rule of thumb when your main tank is about 1/4 full (don't judge this based on where your needle goes when making a left turn) and your aux tank has fuel in it, turn the pump on for a bit until the tank reads full.

Did you buy your truck from a dealer or an individual? I'd bought mine from an individual, so when I had questions like these I'd just ask him for clarification on how he'd set it up and ran things.
Old May 13th, 2016, 12:55 AM
lithium1330
Chris
'97 SW NAS 4.6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Did you buy your truck from a dealer or an individual? I'd bought mine from an individual, so when I had questions like these I'd just ask him for clarification on how he'd set it up and ran things.
Bought the truck from dealer, who, afaik, was not aware of the aux tank. My tee fitting is rusted on the outside - I will assume it's likely rusted inside. The inside of filler neck for aux tank also shows sign of surface rust.
At this point, I'm thinking of replacing both of these parts to avoid getting rust into the aux tank and also main tank when filling at the tee.
Old May 16th, 2016, 08:39 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Why doesn't anyone make inner fender guards for the rear wheel wells?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel, fuel tank