Advice on buying my first D90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 19th, 2005, 03:47 PM
mtbrooks
Michael Brooks
Wanted! 95 ST

Advice on buying my first D90

Hello all-

I've been lurking and drooling through your site for some time now. Ever since I saw a mysterious "Jeep" like vehicle for sale in my neighborhood back in 97, I've been hooked. It was a yellow D90 and I was a bit shocked that it was A.) from that decade and B.) the asking price was 38k. In the meantime I owned a Wrangler Sahara that seemed virtually indestructable through all the off roading abuse I threw at it. I've noticed that a lot of Wrangler drivers come down with serious cases of D90 envy (though I will be sad that I can't take the doors off). My wife is also hooked, though she wants something more civilized like an '04 Disco or RRS; the LR3 is ugly.

Now, I'm very close to buying (outright) the vehicle that I've wished for for so long, and I need some help. I want a ST, 5 speed, preferrably in stock or near-stock condition. Can anyone give me some basic things to look for regarding years, models, mileage or things to watch out for?

Also, where, besides here, can I look for a decent deal on a D90? Autotrader and eBay seem overpriced. Copley has good selection, but pricing is a bit high. The obvious advice is to be patient, and I will try. I'm used to driving over to the dealership and taking home what I want the same day.

Any advice is greatly appreciated-

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2005, 04:00 PM
milli
Michael D. Milliken
9590SW

I found mine on ebay a few years ago. I contacted the seller and arranged the deal afterwards.
95sw 69K for $24.
Note: I wanted to take it to the dealer for an inspection, but the owner was not cool with it. He said the truck is 25, in good condition, and thats it take it or leave it. I took it and got lucky.
I would say this is about top dollar for these things although people are asking much more.
If you hang around here long enough, are willing to travel to buy/pick one up in the States, you will find it. Most of the people here probably take good care of their trucks - Good luck!
Old July 19th, 2005, 04:09 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrooks
Hello all I'm very close to buying (outright) the vehicle that I've wished for for so long, and I need some help. I want a ST, 5 speed, preferrably in stock or near-stock condition. Can anyone give me some basic things to look for regarding years, models, mileage or things to watch out for?
Well, the Soft Tops were manufactured in 1994, 95, and 97. All 94's, and 95's have 5-speed LT77 and R380 5-spd transmissions, respectively. The 97's are all automatics. I could go on and on about the differences, but a good site to visit is this one or the FAQ section of this website.

Quote:
Also, where, besides here, can I look for a decent deal on a D90?

Give the Land Rover Exchange a try.

Hope this helps

Regards

DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2005, 04:18 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

ECR has a bit of info covering the North American Spec (NAS) D90. They outline what was offered for the 3 years that the D90 was imported. If you want 5 speed, you are looking at a `94 or `95.

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/INFOD90.html

As far as where to find one.... As somebody who just bought their first D90.... The first place that I looked at was Copley, simply because they are located a couple of blocks from my place in Boston. Pricing is beyond a bit high though. I don`t mean to talk down about them, because Keith and Stuart are great people, but their pricing can be downright absurd. What I found with eBay and AutoTrader is that deals do come up on occassion, you just have to keep a close eye out for them. Keep in mind too that just because a seller is asking for a certain amount on AutoTrader, it doesn`t mean you can`t offer them a different amount. You never know, they might be willing to take it, especially if the car has been listed for a while. ECR offers some D90s every once in a while as well. Keep an eye out on this forum too.

I was looking around for one for about 8 months til I found one that I thought to be a reasonable price and a reasonable match. All I can say is check back daily.
Old July 19th, 2005, 04:19 PM
mtbrooks
Michael Brooks
Wanted! 95 ST

Quick replies, thanks to all of you. I've the LRX and ECR open right now.

So the 97 is out, I'm not going Auto. I take it the R380 trans is the improved version? How much emphasis should I place on finding a 95 or updated 94 then?

And DJ, great signature-
Old July 19th, 2005, 05:11 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Hippert must be tired http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=3562

As for taking the doors off, you can do it, but it has turned into a PITA for me. I bought some used hinges from a guy on this site (Thanks Kimos) and pounded the pins out of them (well, 2 of them) and am replacing with a longer pin with a cotter pin to hold it in place. That way I can just pop the pin out and go.

As for the wife being hooked, that's good, she'll understand why you keep posting to this board and keep telling her, "you just need one more thing now" for your truck.

Good luck, and keep us updated!
Old July 19th, 2005, 05:30 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
Mike:

The R380 is an improvement over the LT77, so that would be one thing to check. The differences between the 94s and 95s are not major to most of us, but it depends on your tastes. Does it matter to you whether the truck has serpentine belts or regular v-belts? Does it matter that the 95's tail lights are round and the 94s are a bit ungainly and square? Is air conditioning important? The 95s system was better than the 94s; some of put the 95 style in their 94s.

Mainly, just check for the usual problems such as type of mileage put on the truck, any signs of abuse, rust on the frame or in the door frames, jerry-rigged wiring, etc.

As far as finding good candidates to check, in addition to this site and the ones you mentioned, you might also check with some of the various parts suppliers such as Rovers North, Atlantic British, etc.

Good luck to you. We all look forward to you becoming one of the community.
Old July 19th, 2005, 07:48 PM
mtbrooks
Michael Brooks
Wanted! 95 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurt
Hippert must be tired http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=3562
As for the wife being hooked, that's good, she'll understand why you keep posting to this board and keep telling her, "you just need one more thing now" for your truck.
I'm lucky that she's understanding about this kind of thing. She knows how long I've been trying to get one.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewhitaker
Mike:

The R380 is an improvement over the LT77, so that would be one thing to check. The differences between the 94s and 95s are not major to most of us, but it depends on your tastes. Does it matter to you whether the truck has serpentine belts or regular v-belts? Does it matter that the 95's tail lights are round and the 94s are a bit ungainly and square? Is air conditioning important? The 95s system was better than the 94s; some of put the 95 style in their 94s.
Silly as it may sound, I just looked at some tail lights and realized that, given the choice, I'd prefer the round style. AC isn't necessary, but definitely nice. The truck will be in NJ for another year (almost 100 degrees today) and then off to Buffalo for a while. Belts...yeah, don't have a real preference there. I've owned a string of German cars which are pretty clear on their intent to keep you out of the engine bay. I'm not very experienced with doing repairs, but I'd like to learn to do the little stuff myself for the 90.

Given the AC, transmission and tail lights, I'll concentrate on finding a 95. This forum is paying dividends already.

Quote:
Mainly, just check for the usual problems such as type of mileage put on the truck, any signs of abuse, rust on the frame or in the door frames, jerry-rigged wiring, etc.

As far as finding good candidates to check, in addition to this site and the ones you mentioned, you might also check with some of the various parts suppliers such as Rovers North, Atlantic British, etc.
Rust, that's a good point. As mentioned, I'm taking this truck with me to Buffalo next year. We've been known to get some snow in the area, and I can't wait to pull Explorers and Pathfinders out of trouble. Unfortunately, Buffalo does use salt on the roads which isn't so much a problem for newer cars, but I'm worried about a 10 year old British truck. Are they overly susceptible to rust? It will be garaged (unheated) and frequently washed.

The second winter concern is the hard top. I would want one. Leaving a soft top on for a Buffalo winter would probably shorten its life by a considerable amount. If I buy one without, how much will I be paying for a hard top? While I'm asking about tops, how long does it take to take off or put on the soft top? The one thing the wrangler did have going for it was the super simple top; you can put it up or down, soup to nuts, in less than five minutes.

Quote:
Good luck to you. We all look forward to you becoming one of the community.
Thanks--I appreciate all the help and look forward to meeting with other owners.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, buying, d90