Advice on buying d-90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 27th, 2007, 05:09 PM
D.C. Benny
Ben Wartofsky
none

Advice on buying d-90

Hello d-90ists. I was wondering if anyone would care to share some advice. I have stumbled across a 97 d-90 for sale and am going to check it out after seeing pix. It is very competitively priced, semi-low miles, couple dings, one dent in front quarter panel (which "could be dent doctored out"), seems pretty clean from pix. Allegedly "one owner" who "never offroaded" and carfax to prove single ownership. (I dunno where dings came from, maybe driving on-road???). From the pix's i don't see any real rust on body except for a bit on door screws. Newish tires, newish badger top, upgraded speakers, New exhaust, waxoyled, and thats most of it. Now, before I check this baby out, what kinds of things do i look for that spell trouble? I am not a mechanically trained person and don't want to make a big mistake here, pursuing my dream car only to find it's a complete money pit. There will be a lift at place that has the truck and the place does have a good reputation. At any rate, a basic list of no-nos, things that are gonna cost a lot to repair would be great. If this purchase goes through, I will have bit left over for the inevitable feed-the-Rover maintainence.
thanks
B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2007, 05:52 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
It is a money pit no if ands or buts about it, it just is. Rust to me would be the biggest issue. Id start out to see if it had any service records. Some leaks can be expensive to fix if that kind of thing bothers you. So many varibles depending on the previous owners of the vehicle. If you can get it up on a lift check to see if there is any mud caked up and hidden away to answer your offroad question, look for rust. Use the dents and what not to help with your buying price. Normal wear items like brakes pulleys bearings belts seals etc seem to be the biggest issues, petty shit that just wears out.. Take it for a drive and go with your gut instinct. There are a plenty of Defenders in the US. This site is an excellent resource for Defenders, check it out. I was reading this site waaaay before I got my truck. good luck.
Old June 27th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

I am am original owner. I have loved every day........this is the coolest vehicle you will ever own - regardless of what you do to it. I have put a bunch in maintenance over the years......but the car has been paid off for so long, that I think it ballances out vs. car payments.

I too am not incredibally mechanically inclined. This truck will teach you a thing or too - but find a Land Rover shop with a great rep. Forget the dealer.

Look for rust when it is on the lift. Mine is not so bad now.......BUT starting in places - This will be my biggest problem as I go forward, if I own the vehicle forever - which I plan to........

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2007, 05:53 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
O yeah the badger is good, what color is the truck? what do you intend to do with it? What else do you drive?
Old June 27th, 2007, 06:43 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

rusted gas tank support(they don't have drain holes) Pull the door panels off and there is a good chance that there is rust in the lower corners of the doors.

look for crazy trailer wiring or anything else that could screw up the already factory screwed up wiring.

If it has over 80K, all the front end stuff needs replaced, tie rods bushings etc.
look for blemishes in the steering balls

Once you figure out that stuff, you realize that the factory shocks are shot and you should probably go ahead and install a lift. Now a new can of worms opened. After two weeks of good driving, you get a bad vibration in the front after you fixed the one in the rear.

The guys on here will be a great help to you as they have been to me,......but get your walet out
Old June 27th, 2007, 11:58 PM
TND90
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST

Look in all the places it is hard to clean, i.e. inside the seat boxes below the driver and passenger seats and underneath/behind the door sills. Lock the diffs while you are test driving. Find out what dealer originally serviced the vehicle and call the service department with the VIN to find out the service history while under warranty. Like the guys said, go with your gut and resist the temptation to get overly excited.

I would recommend locating a independent Rover shop close by ( the guys on this site can help) and letting them check it over. You will spend a $100 bucks to find out how much more you need to spend. Don't be suprised if it needs some seals, shocks, brakes, hoses and well the list goes on and on! Oh, and then there are the upgrades.

On the flip side, get excited as this is the coolest, most fun car you will ever own. I find myself fixing something on a monthly bases. However, when you find yourself driving down the road to go wheeling with a couple of friends over the weekend, you will absolutly understand the obsesssion!

Lastly, if and when you buy the 90, check to see if the oil cooler lines have been updated. If they haven't, make it your first priority.

Good luck
KA

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, buying, d-90