Advice on Buying - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 13th, 2011, 11:59 PM
aaronlam
aaron lam
1997 Alpine White D90 SW #2212

Registry
Advice on Buying

Hi all,

This is a great community. I've been lurking around for a couple years now and finally ready to pull the trigger on a D90. I'm looking at this one one eBay... but getting a bit of cold feet as it's last minute and I haven't had anyone check it out. Am I crazy for buying this without a mechanic or someone local looking at it? The communication with the buyer has been great (maybe a member on this forum), the Carfax is clean and he's sent me some large images of the undercarriage etc and it looks super clean. The price also seems good... even if I need to put some immediately into getting it up and running.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1182

I believe it's #2212

Any way... let me know what you guys think, if there is a mechanic in Greensboro, NC that is good with D90's I can hire tomorrow or Tuesday morning (auction ends Tuesday afternoon) or if someone on this forum wants to go take a look.

And I believe in not being a freeloader... I've compiled the list of mechanics that's on the sticky: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...2&postcount=97

Again... thanks for everyone's help.

aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Looks like the truck was up north for a while so I would look at it hard for rust issues. The rear cross member and the bulkhead at the wheel wells and below the vents., just to mention a few areas to look at. The motor also has a bunch of miles so I think I might pay for a compression test. If you have somebody close that can look at it that would be a good idea in my opinion. The person listing the truck only has one rating as a seller and joined a little over a year ago. I would err on the side of caution.
Old November 14th, 2011, 08:13 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Frankly, anything that old with that many miles is a project. A Rover V8 with over 150K in it is a ticking bomb, only a matter of time before it will self destruct. As long as you buy it knowing that you might have to do some major major work to it, and you're OK with that then by all means pull the trigger...and be sure not to have it pointed at your balls.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2011, 10:24 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Aaron, all vehichles without seller warranty should have an independent professional inspections. Then use that as leverage to bring the price down.

Depending on what you plan to do with it depicts what you should expect. If you plan to use it as a daily driver and not wheel it then you might get away with it being somewhat mechanically sound and use a good mechnaic to help work out the kinks over time.

BTW, if there is no evidence of recent oil cooler lines and ATF lines being replaced that's a first priority. You can search the threads here to learn more and form your own opinion.

Clay
Old November 14th, 2011, 10:42 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Or if you're looking for a 1997 with fewer miles for around the same price, there's one on the board...

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=32224
Old November 14th, 2011, 10:48 AM
aaronlam
aaron lam

Registry
Thanks all for the advice. Yeah.. I am aware of the gas line. Last thing I need is for it to burn down on me. I saw the rust on crossmember... he sent me larger images of the undercarriage which looked good from the photos. A bit of surface rust but nothing major.

The plan was to drive it until it dies and then do a 4.6L conversion over at West Coast Rover.

Better yet... I got a hold of Larry at http://www.british4x4.us/ who graciously is going to go take a look at it for me at a very reasonable price.

And I don't know how I missed the one of this board... I am going to look into it.
Old November 14th, 2011, 12:02 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Aaron,
I am with Clay on the pre-purchase inspection and since you are in SoCal would a ST be better? ST give you a much broader configuration such as a Badger truck set up, running without the top on etc. I would also see if the head gaskets have been replaced as the tend to leak oil/coolant every so often and need to be replaced which is typically about a $1,200 job which included heads being rebuilt? Was it ever overheated? I would opt for a South West truck due to the rust factory and I would see any of the trucks that you are interested in have been overheated.
Clay
Old November 14th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Frankly, anything that old with that many miles is a project. A Rover V8 with over 15k in it is a ticking bomb, only a matter of time before it will self destruct. .
Fixed that for ya

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old November 14th, 2011, 01:10 PM
aaronlam
aaron lam

Registry
I know... I swear... every time I get close to buying one... someone who owns a D90 tries to talk me out of it!
Old November 14th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronlam View Post
I know... I swear... every time I get close to buying one... someone who owns a D90 tries to talk me out of it!
Not really, we're not trying to talk you out of anything. We're more just trying to make sure you know what you're getting into, that way you can plan accordingly and enjoy the truck for what it really is.

They are fantastically cool, rugged, unique, fun as hell and extremely capable. At the same time they are expensive to purchase and maintain, demand constant attention, are a bit archaic for creature comforts, and 15+ years old at best.

They're not luxury vehicles, they're off-road work trucks. And that's why we love the things.

-Hans

Old November 14th, 2011, 03:45 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post

They are fantastically cool, rugged, unique, fun as hell and extremely capable. At the same time they are expensive to purchase and maintain, demand constant attention, are a bit archaic for creature comforts, and 15+ years old at best.

They're not luxury vehicles, they're off-road work trucks. And that's why we love the things.

-Hans

And you are selling yours? Keep it, Keep it, Keep it.

Old November 14th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
And you are selling yours? Keep it, Keep it, Keep it.
I wish I could, but I've just got too many projects pulling me in different directions. I had to make a choice between the Defender or Grandpa's Airstream camper that's been in the family for 40 years. Between the two, the choice was pretty quick and easy.

-Hans

Old November 14th, 2011, 04:00 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Aaron, have you looked on landroverexchange.com yet? there's a couple at lower miles and lower pricing.
Old November 14th, 2011, 05:14 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Not really, we're not trying to talk you out of anything. We're more just trying to make sure you know what you're getting into, that way you can plan accordingly and enjoy the truck for what it really is.

-Hans

Exactly. Also agree with Clay about going with a ST in SoCal. Even in NJ, I love having a ST. There is nothing better than having the top off on a nice day and with the weather you guys have it would be a crime not to enjoy it the 300+ days of the year you get.

PS - dope front indy in your avatar! Is that you? Off a pipe wall? Or hip?
Old November 14th, 2011, 11:06 PM
aaronlam
aaron lam

Registry
I have always been told ownership is an adventure, no?!? I am completely prepared with a D90 piggy bank for fixes and realize it's not a "regular car."

I'm checking out a 4.6L converted ST tomorrow... that might be in the mix now too. It's local which is a bonus also. Just don't like the color (British Racing Green). It's owned by Eddie at West Coast Rovers.

Off a hip... a long long time ago. *sigh*
Old November 15th, 2011, 10:00 AM
jhhorse
joe heins
1995 defender 90

Aaron,
a 4.0L with A/C, automatic, with that many miles may be a bit of a dog (not that our trucks have much power to start with)
I would look real hard at the 4.6L, when my 3.9L goes, that is my plan.
Joe

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
buying