ADVICE NEEDED Possible Blown Head Gasket - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 3rd, 2013, 06:42 PM
BRAB
Brandon
200TDI in a RHD 1986 D90

Exclamation ADVICE NEEDED Possible Blown Head Gasket

I have a 1986 D90 With a Disco 200TDI dropped it to it. I have had the truck for almost about a month now, and had a problem yesterday. I was driving around with a friend for about 4 hours with no problems. After one segment of driving we stopped pulled over and let the car idle for about a minute before turning it off. When I went to start the truck again it turned over and started and a huge (engulfed two lanes about 10 feet hight) cloud of white smoke came out the exhaust. I then shut the truck off and started it again, this time there was white smoke but it cleared out quickly. At this point I thought it was ok to drive so we drove 15 miles at about 50mph and stopped again there was minimal amount of smoke coming out of the exhaust and the temp gauge stayed where it had been and did not creep up the whole ride. We stopped at the next location for about half an hour and when we tried to start the truck again it had a rough time starting, but it started. This time there was more white smoke blowing out of the exhaust in a cylinder about three feet long. We drove down the road about half a mile and it did not stop so we pulled over in a parking lot. I let the car cool down and opened the radiator reservoir and it was empty. I checked the oil and it was clean no foam or milky look, so I got some coolant and filled the reservoir and started the truck again, the truck had a hard time starting but it did and when it did no smoke came out of the exhaust, but the new coolant was gushing out of the breather hose on the top of the radiator reservoir tank. I also heard a screeching noise coming from the water pump, thinking that it may be seised and that is what is making the fluid shoot out of the reservoir.

Because I had no coolant flow and what coolant was flowing was coming out the exhaust I did what I should have probably done earlier and had it towed home.

At this point I suspect the water pump needs to be changed (none of the previous owners knew when it was changed last), and that I probably need to do the head gasket because of the white smoke coming out of the exhaust. While I am at it I will probably change the timing belt because its las change is unknown.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience with an issue like this.
Also for those in long island, I am on the north shore and am looking for a shop that you trust and knows these engines.

I was prepared for this type of event to happen but it is a pity it came so soon. But hopefully the landy will be back on the road soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coolant.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	83428  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2013, 07:27 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Do not try to start it again. You are @ risk of bending a rod if you haven't already, water doesn't compress. You need a head gasket. Order one based on the number of holes on the exposed edge

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 07:58 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
And I'll add that changing a head gasket is a nice simple job on these engines. It is a good idea to do the timing belt, but it could be done separately as the two job have no overlapping work.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2013, 12:53 PM
DBrands
David Brandson
D90 Truckcab

Registry
I just recently had a very similar situation. No signs of head gasket failure until idling one evening at a club get together and white smoke billowing as the truck cooled. Compression pressure in the cooling system. Head gasket failed between cylinder one and a coolant passageway just below the thermostat flange on IP side. Not sure if it happened then or during a previous highway run in hot weather the week before.

I ended up doing the timing belt as well. Made it a lot simpler to remove fan and shroud while removing head, so lots of access to timing cover.

Worthwhile skimming the head as well. In my case there was some pitting from cylinder 1 towards coolant passage.
Old November 5th, 2013, 06:35 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
And I'll add that changing a head gasket is a nice simple job on these engines. It is a good idea to do the timing belt, but it could be done separately as the two job have no overlapping work.
How hard is it to do at home, would you reccomend it to him to remove himself as a normal rover DIY'er?
Old November 5th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
How hard is it to do at home, would you reccomend it to him to remove himself as a normal rover DIY'er?
Very.
remove air cleaner
drain coolant
remove boost hose from turbo to intercooler
and hose/pipe from intercooler to intake manifold
Remove valve cover
Remove bolts retaining valve train and remove valvetrain
remove pushrods (suggest you use a piece of cardboard to poke them through so you can re-install in same holes).
remove cyclonic separator
unhook injector pipes from injectors
unhook glow plug wiring from the 4 glow plugs
remove intake manifold bolts and manifold
unhook down pipe from turbo
unhook turbo oil lines
remove exhaust manifold bolts and manifold
loosen the head bolts in sequence per instructions
remove head bolts and pull head

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
advice, gas