advice needed on framing bulkhead for galvanizing - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 4th, 2014, 07:46 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS

advice needed on framing bulkhead for galvanizing

First of all, I've been told that the bulkhead would twist if hot dipped without framing. Given that does anyone have advice on how to best frame the bulkhead so it survives a hot dip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2014, 08:31 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
That has not been my experience

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 4th, 2014, 08:33 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
I've heard it as well but I think it has more to do with the galvanizer then the bulkhead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2014, 08:41 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

When i had my bulkhead dipped, some of the flat panels came out with an ever so slight wave to them. I too worried about warpage, but having seen what actually happens, focus your energy on solving real issues.
Old September 4th, 2014, 08:43 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Just dip it. They are easily bent to fit in place. Even before galvanizing they are rarely straight.
Old September 4th, 2014, 10:03 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

Of you can buy my extra one that has already been dipped and not have to worry about it warping. :-)
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Old September 4th, 2014, 10:07 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Paul Robinson just did it, his did twist but he was able to get it back into place relatively easily (I just saw it this week all painted up and in place).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old September 4th, 2014, 11:21 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS

guys, thanks. I'll give it a shot with the understanding that even if it does warp all is not lost and it can be bent back.
Old September 4th, 2014, 11:38 PM
budzny
Real4X4
NAS 97 ST/NAS 93 110/62
Birthday Committee Team

I have a frame made by Mike of North American Overland in CT and works well. No warping noted and frame is heavy but galv place in NJ only charged me $300 for 2 bulkheads, 2 door frames, and suspension parts. Sorry I don't have photos before dipping and frame stored in PA house.
Old September 5th, 2014, 04:00 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Zinc plate it. That's what did, no issues with warpage and better paint adhesion.

Semper Fi!
Old September 5th, 2014, 08:12 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

I've had two bulkheads dipped. Yeah, there wil be minor waving in the flat panels but it doesn't affect fit or function. When ready to paint just give it a good metal cleaning and acid treatment before priming. I use PPG DX579 and DX520. PPG recommends priming with their product, DPLF epoxy primer, within 24 hours. It's always good to use the same manufacturer system for compatibility and did so when I painted the first bulkhead. The second one still sits waiting for it's turn in the project list. That said, I've used Rustoleum self-etching primer and camo paints for my trailer with great success.
Old September 5th, 2014, 09:19 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
i phosphoric acid etched my galvanized bulkhead as pretreat, rinsed with deionized water to neutralize the acid. I applied southern polyurethanes two part epoxy primer at mfg recommended proportions. sprayed at 65 degrees, let cure per mfg and painted over with base and spu clear with fast activator.

adhesion to passivated zinc substrate was low for the first month after painting. primer would not split but would slide over zinc so it had to be handled delicately. after three to four months, full cure was achieved and now adhesion to zinc is strong.

would recommend passivating and epoxy priming plus being very delicate with the resulting work until four months have elapsed for full cure. if you have the resources chromate conversion (alodine) would be superior to any other form of acid etching.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
advice, galvanizing