Advice need!!! Please help!!! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 8th, 2006, 09:25 PM
reaper99999
Eric Yip
95 Alpine White SW

Advice need!!! Please help!!!

I am a newbie trying to buy his first d90 and is running into some issues. Wondering if all you seasoned landies would give me some advices.

The car that I want to buy (2 owner 95 SW 150K mi) just went through a PPI with Leakdown and Compression test done.

Here are the major problems found:

* One of the cyclinders is lower. Here's the actual data (1:150 2:150 3:160 4:160 5:150 6:75 7:160 8:150)
How serious is this? The shop that did the PPI said it would cost $1600 to pull the head out and retool the valves.

* Fuel pump return valve is leaking.
How serious is this? The shop said $600 to replace the fuel pump.

* Vacuum advance unit not functioning.
How serious is this? The shop said $250 to fix this.

* Radiator is clogged and needs rodding out.
How serious is this? The shop said $400 to fix this.

Other problems:
* Oil Pan leaking
* Power steering lines leak
* Transfer case leaking
* Transfer case noisy and has slight clunk
* Rear pinion seal leaks
* Valve cover gaskets leaks
* Fronk crank seal leaks
* Rear 'A' arm bushings need replacing
* Front radius arm bushings need replacing
* Engine mount sagging
* Headliner sagging
* Inner left door handle sticks

The car is otherwise very clean.

I know some of these problems are to be expected for a car this age, but some seems to be pretty serious. Which of these problems need immediate attention? Which of these things could I service myself? Ultimately, how much is a fair price to pay? The owner is asking for about 22K.

For reference, last month I almost bought a 130K 95 SW w/ rebuilt engine and transmission for 21750.

Any comments and advices would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

No problems. Land Rovers are not actually broken untill they stop moving. The price is way too high though.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 8th, 2006, 09:40 PM
reaper99999
Eric Yip
95 Alpine White SW

Hi David, what would be a fair price for this vehicle?

Thx,
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2006, 09:57 PM
read
Read Kerlin
'94 w/ POE HT

Way to high of a price. I payed 21K in Oct of 2002 for a '94 with 103K on the clock and no service needs, and that was from an actual LR dealer (LR American Fork). With all of thoes repairs I would not buy for more than 18K. Take your time and find the right truck. It took my a year of daily searching to find mine.

Also as a tip, look outside of CA. They are too over valued here. Even with a one way flight to SLC, I saved thousands compared to what a similar truck went for at that time in LA.
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper99999
Hi David, what would be a fair price for this vehicle?

Thx,
Eric
Well,

Thats tough. Looking at the list you gave, and trying to give a less sarcastic answer. All of these items are totally normal for pretty much all Defenders at this point:

* Oil Pan leaking
* Power steering lines leak
* Transfer case leaking
* Transfer case noisy and has slight clunk
* Rear pinion seal leaks
* Valve cover gaskets leaks
* Fronk crank seal leaks
* Rear 'A' arm bushings need replacing
* Front radius arm bushings need replacing
* Engine mount sagging
* Headliner sagging
* Inner left door handle sticks

Whats left that is a genuine issue is the Loss of compression on 7. The other problems are really not a big deal. You can get around them. If you have a mechanic tear down the engine it will cost you. I would say that if the paint, body and interior is in good shape, with that many miles, $15-18,000. Keep in mind that with that many miles, and if you are a man of God, you can maybe go another 50,000 miles before you need a complete rebuild. I hope that helps.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:32 PM
jstrong98
Jon Strong

Here's a solution, buy mine !

JS
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:43 PM
steved90
steven melnyk

wait

wait and find the right truck!!
that is WAY over priced!
got mine a year ago after looking for almost two years!
97 SW full rack and ladder some damage but under 3gs to fix.
42000 miles
good luck and be patient, its kind of like finding a really kick ass women that you want to spend the rest of your life with, it will appear when you least expect it. wait!!
watch the boards and look around, and don't make any beer goggled decisions.
Old February 8th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

22k? Absolutely, positively, no doubt about it.... RIP OFF!!!!!

As mentioned, a lot of that list isn't much to worry about for people who like to tinker, but some of them can be serious high-dollar repairs. The biggest concern for me is that low pressure cylinder and the transfer case clunk.

It may ONLY need a valve job and the heads skimmed, it may also need a new cylinder head or possibly have a burnt piston. You could easily end up needing a whole new engine.

The transfer case clunk/noise/leak can also be a possible big problem needing a new transfer case. They all have a little slack, but deeper investigation will be needed by a Defender informed mechanic.

With that list, I'd be afraid to buy it at anything over $15k

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 9th, 2006, 12:07 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Way overpriced. I know this is California, but that is a full 5-7k over a reasonable price. I'm right here in Alviso and have a couple trucks I can show you to help you get a more experienced eye. Let me know if you want or need some help.
Old February 9th, 2006, 02:41 AM
reaper99999
Eric Yip
95 Alpine White SW

Hey Jim,

I go to Alviso twice a week and I think I've seen your car before driving pass Gold Street. If you could give me some in person advice that would be so great. Do you work in the area? I just work off of Great America Pkwy.

Eric
Old February 9th, 2006, 08:49 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I work in Monterey (!) and get home a couple times a week. You want to link-up sometime on the weekend? I assume you come to Alviso to eat at Maria Elena's? I'll PM you my cel number.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions