Advice: Exmoor Forward Foldup (non-lock) or Exmoor Inward Facing Foldup? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 25th, 2013, 12:36 PM
bradfordish
Bradford
95 D90 SW #141

Registry
Advice: Exmoor Forward Foldup (non-lock) or Exmoor Inward Facing Foldup?

Guys,

Need some advice... I recently installed the Exmoor Diamond XS Modular front seats and cubby box and am now ready to update the load area. I've been debating between the Exmoor Forward Facing Fold-ups and the Exmoor Inward Facing Fold-ups. I've read that some people have complained that the forward facing fold-ups (non lock and fold) don't seem sturdy. What are yalls thoughts and suggestions?

Also, for anyone who has installed either, do they using existing mounting holes or would I be drilling new holes (something I really don't want to do)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diamond_XS___For_4d81fb36b067e.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	82925   Click image for larger version

Name:	getimg.php.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	82926  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 25th, 2013, 10:41 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

I had the inward facing fold-up seats on my 110 and got rid of them for two reasons. The primary was that it's a tight fit sitting there for most adults - your head will hit the roof if you sit up straight. Secondary was my pregnant wife - can't have a child's carseat on an inward facing seat.

I installed the forward facing fold-up seats like you have in your photo. The do seem less sturdy, but I've never had one collapse. They do not use the same holes as the inward facing. I can't speak for using the "factory" holes, as mine's an ex-MOD FFR, and there were no rear seats. Note that you can also install these rearward facing.

I prefer the forward facing seats, as you can sit upright without bumping your head, and there's a bit more thigh support. They're also much easier to remove - just slide them out of the mounting bracket; the inward facing ones need to be unbolted.

The inward facing ones have a few advantages. First, it's easier to get in and out of the back; if both forward facing seats are down, you've got to climb around or fold them up. Second, the seatbelts are mounted on the side out of the way; the forward facing seatbelt mount is in the middle of the floor. Third, the view is a bit better for the passengers - they can see forward, backward, and to the side (if there's a window).

If you mount the forward facing seats in the rearward direction, it's easy to get in and out but you will block any sort of AC or heat from the front.

I can send some photos if you're interested.
Old October 26th, 2013, 12:19 PM
bradfordish
Bradford
95 D90 SW #141

Registry
Thanks Michael! That was extremely helpful. I was leaning toward the forward facing.

If you could send my pics I'd really I appreciate it. I'll PM you my email.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2013, 01:51 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

.I Would not trust any children in the seats you are showing. I got rid of mine and went with a form of lock and folds that were crash test approved IMHO
Old October 28th, 2013, 02:18 PM
bradfordish
Bradford
95 D90 SW #141

Registry
I'm a single man with a dog, so this is more about appearance with the occasional adult passenger(s).
Old October 29th, 2013, 02:47 AM
rwavers
Robert Wavers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
.I Would not trust any children in the seats you are showing. I got rid of mine and went with a form of lock and folds that were crash test approved IMHO
Which seats did you use? Thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, advice, exmoor