adjusting windshield wipers - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 2nd, 2013, 07:29 PM
kellykortman
kelly kortman
1994 land rover defender

Registry
adjusting windshield wipers

Wondering if this is something that a layman could do on their own? My windshield wipers have too much play in them, especially on high speeds, they either will sail past the window alltogether or clack on the bottom rain gutter below the windshield. Otherwise they work fine and actually work just fine on medium speed.

Is there a step by step guide to fixing this issue? Would it require a mechanic?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 2nd, 2013, 07:44 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykortman View Post
Wondering if this is something that a layman could do on their own? My windshield wipers have too much play in them, especially on high speeds, they either will sail past the window alltogether or clack on the bottom rain gutter below the windshield. Otherwise they work fine and actually work just fine on medium speed.

Is there a step by step guide to fixing this issue? Would it require a mechanic?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Kelly
Easy enough to do yourself - pull off and reposition. If there is slop and inconsistency it is probably the spindle that connects the squared off output shafts to the splined wiped connection.

I'll be up your way next week if you wanted to meet up.

Brian
Old October 2nd, 2013, 08:02 PM
kellykortman
kelly kortman
1994 land rover defender

Registry
Sure that's be great. Your instructions might as well have been in French. I should tinker around with them though. Maybe dig down and see where the play is coming from. I'm 206 992 1822. Call anytime.

Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 2nd, 2013, 08:15 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykortman View Post
Sure that's be great. Your instructions might as well have been in French. I should tinker around with them though. Maybe dig down and see where the play is coming from. I'm 206 992 1822. Call anytime.

Kelly
C'est plus facile a faire du avec pas des autre personÚs - tirez et ajoute les essuie-glace de pare-brise...

May actually be up there friday morning or you can give me a call if you need help - 6027903502

Brian

(my French is not too bad still)
Old October 2nd, 2013, 08:31 PM
Axel
jack
1987 Defender 110 5-door

Ive wondered that, too. Mine never go all the way up, they stop just before they reach where I need to see & only wipe about 1/2 of what the "arc" should be. I wonder if they're on too tight. Maybe the spring can be relaxed or something - tightened in your case.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:21 PM
Axel
jack
1987 Defender 110 5-door

Great idea! Or maybe a fluffer.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:38 PM
kellykortman
kelly kortman
1994 land rover defender

Registry
my wipers are firm, of better than average length and black and if anything go a little bit further than I need them to. I have a very strong flow emitting from my sprayer, so euphemistically speaking they're working great.

I took 2 years of French in high school and know enough that you said it's easy and can be done with one person. I'll have to google translate the rest. It'd be nice if there was a google translate from mechanic speak to layman speak.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 11:49 PM
Axel
jack
1987 Defender 110 5-door

Thanks for sharing that. There's nothing worse than flaccid wipers I guess.

I've also noticed my washer continues to drip after I'm through squirting it, sometimes even in the middle of the night.

Funny, my mechanic was actually teaching me something today about mechanic-speak. A lady called him while he was working on my Defender. She's been a real pain to him. She complained & nagged. He just wanted her to take her car out of his shop. He told her he still had to fix her muffler bearings & that she was low on horn fluid. He said this means, translated "Please quit calling & go away."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions