Adjustable panhard install? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 20th, 2014, 09:57 AM
83 110
Adjustable panhard install?

Whats the best way to install and adjust a RTE panhard arm?

Old June 20th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Ash Heller
6.0 LS 110
D-90 Source Vendor
Install is a breeze, although it's usually easier with two people.

Mount the axle side first, and have someone slightly turn and hold the steering wheel to get the panhard bracket on the chassis to line up with the end of the rod, and slide your bolt through.

As for adjustment, it's going to require a couple of measurements. The panhard effectively shortens the linear distance between the frame and axle mounts as the axle is pushed away from the chassis (as seen with lift kits), and the axle becomes off-centered and is pulled towards the driver's side of the truck. Depending on the amount of lift you're running, this distance will change.

Pull measurements at ride height with the stock panhard installed, find the difference, if any, between the driver's and passenger's sides, and lengthen the RTE rod accordingly.

Geared Restoration Co.
Old June 20th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Brett Fritzler
1998 Discovery
Install is easy. I had a harder time keeping the heim from developing slop, over and over again. I really think RTE should have kept the stock bushing at each end like the TF one does. In the end I went with a threaded poly bushing end at the frame side, which required me reaming the mount hole to 5/8" but that poly end has outlasted the three previous Heims.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions