Adjustable panhard - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 9th, 2006, 03:01 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Adjustable panhard

Seeking user experience... I know this has been discussed but not quite like this.
I'm getting sick of running through panhard bushings. Not the price but the PITA of changing them
I find that after a coupld hunderd miles of rough roads at moderate speeds I start to get the vibes that quickly turn in to death wobbles.

Would adding an adjustable rod help this by reducing the binding. The truck has a 2-3in lift so nothing major. I find my front articulation to be fine with no sways. I just what longevity of the bushings.

Whats up with the rods with two hemi joints? I would think that having one bushing would be good but am I wrong?

So if it will stop this... rovertym or rovertracks??

Thanks
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey,

I run all hiems, no rubber under my whole rig actually. The hiem will not reduce any binding as long as your currect bushings are working properly. What it will do is last infinitely longer, so it's a good idea. Two will work fine, you don't need one bushing as the heim will accept multi directional forces. They are a little harsher than rubber but will improve your handling. Hope that helps.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 9th, 2006, 12:10 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Thanks for the input Dave. I don't think my current bushings like me. they just self destruct every couple months. So you noticed a handling difference with the hemi's... how much harsher?... interesting. Our rigs are set up completely differently, but you know your stuff so, Do you think the lack of play from two hemi's will eventually cause a problem for long rough roads? I want a long term solution.

I totally agree that hemis are bomber and I think they would last longer... I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything in the geometry. Why do some adjustables keep one bushing?

Thanks
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user
Thanks for the input Dave. I don't think my current bushings like me. they just self destruct every couple months. So you noticed a handling difference with the hemi's... how much harsher?... interesting. Our rigs are set up completely differently, but you know your stuff so, Do you think the lack of play from two hemi's will eventually cause a problem for long rough roads? I want a long term solution.

I totally agree that hemis are bomber and I think they would last longer... I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything in the geometry. Why do some adjustables keep one bushing?

Thanks
Steve
With them falling apart that fast there could be an issue somewhere other than the panhard rod. There is a slight improvement in handling with the hiems. It also does get a tiny bit harsher. The hiems will only allow for vertical movement except for the natural arc of the rod in the suspension cycle. The stock bushings absorb some impact but do it by allowing your front axle to move side to side. The result is a slightly more compliant ride but you get it by allowing the axle to move side to side which hurts in every other way. I hope this makes sence.

The lack of play will never cause a problem for you. Play in this case is not good at all because your steering and radius arms will have to absorb that play. I have no idea why some adjustables keep one bushing. There is no need. Keep in mind that everything that I am saying here is on a very small scale. It's not like with a good rubber bushing you can feel your axle move side to side. Were talking 1/8 of movement.

I guess bottom line is that you will be happy with the hiems and it is a better system in just about every way. The extra "harshness" is extremely minimal. And with 2in of lift you won't even feel it at all. Go with the hiems, you'll be happy.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions