Adding rear headliner to D90 Hardtop/SW? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 10th, 2015, 02:21 AM
1985 LR90 2.5NA
Adding rear headliner to D90 Hardtop/SW?

Hi there,

I want to add some acoustic mat and headliner to the rear of my 90 (pics attached), partly to reduce noise, and partly to give the interior a less agricultural feel - without spending big bucks for new Laselle or LR OEM pieces.

The configuration of this 90 is somewhat unusual. Based on my research it appears to be closer to a 'Hard Top' than a 'Station Wagon'. There is no trim, no seats and no alpine windows in the back, but a tailgate and hatch. There are, however, side windows giving the car an appearance more like a station wagon from the outside than a true hard top.

Since I already intend to reupholster the front headliner, my current plan is to somehow procure a used piece for the rear during the same process. My first concern is that most D90 SWs tend to have rear alpine windows and so a used headliner panel that I might find will likely have big sausage shaped holes where I don't need them. Perhaps I could patch the holes in with some fiberglass work?

Another problem is that I'm not sure how the rear piece can be affixed to the roof. I see that the front edge of the rear headliner piece would share the same row of plastic rivets currently used to attach front headline. According to the parts catalog there is a thin vertical piece that goes up against the back wall. Is the headliner held up by this piece, or by friction against the seams that join the roof and the side wall panels? Note that mine is an older external ribbed roof.

I could always just upholster the roof directly (after laying down acoustic mat) with spray adhesive. However that seems like such a hack job.

PS: I moved the hinges a fraction and got the doors to close more reliably. Going to fiddle with the catch this weekend to see if I could squeeze out more improvement. I read bad things about the Britpart hinges I was looking at - so I'm keeping the current ones.

PPS: If anybody from Bay Area/NorCal wouldn't mind giving my D90 a look over and sharing some of your thoughts, experience and perhaps some newbie advice, please send me a PM!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150109_113752.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	110527  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

90, d90, hardtop, top