Adding Interior Lighting - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 8th, 2011, 10:11 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Adding Interior Lighting

I am not sure about the SW's but the ST's have nothing for interior lighting. I cannot see anything at night time and that is in the front. I need to get the flashlight out so the kids can get in the rear seats.

I was looking those LED strips and tucking them on either side of the rear tub up near the rail. And adding something on the footwells pointing down.

So, has anyone added lighting to their STs? If so, did you piece it together or use a kit. From my search it seems that the kits are "ricer" ready with different light scenes and sounds - I just want something bright white and straight forward. Or are there marine/boat kits that could work?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2011, 10:16 AM
2yellowlabs
Rob
92 RRC, 99 DII, 06 LR3, 09 LR2

http://www.amazon.com/Hella-Compact-.../dp/B0000AYAEV

This is what I did. Plug and play.

Rob
Old February 8th, 2011, 10:16 AM
voltundra
Justin
1994 D90 ST #1039

Not sure about a kit but this is where we buy LED strips for boats from...

www.imtra.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2011, 10:31 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
There have been some things fabricated in the past that people have done in their ST that I remember seeing. I thought it was in the Custom Mods section of the site, but couldn't find it. I'll look for it and let you know if I find it though.
Old February 8th, 2011, 11:07 AM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

We use something like this in the trunks of our older work cars etc. They are not sophisticated but they do the trick and with a 60 hour burn time on AAA's you can get a year out of a set before having to change a battery.

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/Ri...ts__28005.html
Old February 8th, 2011, 11:16 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Crash303 has a sweet setup using an LED light assembly they sell at Off-Road Warehouse for like 30 bucks. He put it on the roll bar just behind the seats, and it has a bracket that allows you to swivel back and forth.

Bright as hell and can swivel from front to back... all for like 40 bucks in parts.
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Doesn't sound like you care if it looks stock but I retrofitted the original front and rear lights with LEDs from Superbrightleds.com. Painfully bright and looks factory.

Also, I think MUD UK has some led strips that you are talking about. Check their site: http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/Defender%2...Lighting.shtml
Old February 8th, 2011, 02:56 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The lights on the MUD UK page appear to be what I am thinking. My next step is to stop by some Pep-Boys, audio shops (and West Marine as they came up as a dealer for imtra stuff) and see if I can touch and feel some LED stuff.

Eagle Eyes/aka Josh - if you do find any links/articles please let me know - I've been STFA but have found nill. I know your search powers are Jedi like so you might have more of a chance but don't kill yourself.

I want to have it wired to the doors so when I open they come on. Not concerned about a factory look but I'd like have them hidden when installed so it won't matter. Just some much needed light.
Old February 8th, 2011, 02:59 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

If you replace the stock bulb with an LED you should be able to use the same circuit for a rear light too.
Old February 8th, 2011, 04:03 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The lights on the MUD UK page appear to be what I am thinking. My next step is to stop by some Pep-Boys, audio shops (and West Marine as they came up as a dealer for imtra stuff) and see if I can touch and feel some LED stuff.

Eagle Eyes/aka Josh - if you do find any links/articles please let me know - I've been STFA but have found nill. I know your search powers are Jedi like so you might have more of a chance but don't kill yourself.

I want to have it wired to the doors so when I open they come on. Not concerned about a factory look but I'd like have them hidden when installed so it won't matter. Just some much needed light.
I was thinking of doing something similar in my ST...do you know if the door switch works off a positive or negative lead? I haven't checked yet but was hoping someone could help my laziness!
Old February 9th, 2011, 12:48 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

The door switches just connect the ground wire to the chassis when you open the door. It is a painfully simple design when you see it. I recommend buying the BMW version as it is the same switch, but comes with a really nice rubber boot around it and costs considerably less. I believe this is the BMW Part #61311368430

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, interior