Adding "insulating layer" to soft top - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 17th, 2014, 10:30 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Adding "insulating layer" to soft top

I have a real nice Tickford top but it's a little thin. Would love to add a reinforcing layer to it, on the inside. Basically a second layer of fabric/canvas etc everywhere there isn't a window to help with noise and wind-flapping reinforcement. Has anyone on the forum ever successfully done this? Any advice on methods, adhesives , fabrics? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2014, 10:49 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

If its flapping are you missing the rollbar pads that wrap around certain sections? Are all the snaps buttoned up and canvas attached to the beltrail?
Old July 17th, 2014, 11:40 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
If its flapping are you missing the rollbar pads that wrap around certain sections? Are all the snaps buttoned up and canvas attached to the beltrail?
yes. More concerned about road noise here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2014, 06:32 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
As Will said you should have pads over at least your diagonals and the vertical portions of the C section of your roll cage to give you additional tension along that section of your top. That should cut down quite a bit on any flapping. Is flapping causing most of the noise or do you think you can hear too much ambient noise?
Old July 18th, 2014, 07:20 AM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Ambient noise from outside is the key concern. Has anyone added a second layer of fabric / insulation to their soft top?
Old July 18th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Honestly amazed that a tickford top is still alive and well after 20 years of service.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 18th, 2014, 08:08 AM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Ambient road noise is what you get owning a rag top, especially with the more aggressive your tires are. Part of the experience. Pops has had his since 1994. If you want less ambient road noise then get a hard top or earplugs, or get more road bias tires.
Old July 18th, 2014, 08:10 AM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

I've lost total control of this thread.
Old July 18th, 2014, 10:07 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssi19 View Post
Ambient noise from outside is the key concern. Has anyone added a second layer of fabric / insulation to their soft top?
No but I have considered it.
Old July 18th, 2014, 10:13 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Scott we're all telling you basically it would be a real shame to mess up that nice virgin Tickford with some random cell foam-based extra layer of fabric just because the Defender doesn't seal up as well as a Mercedes. I'm sure it could be done, as long as you already have extra space when fitting the top currently - just go for it! Make sure you use non-pourous foam in-between your layers of fabric, and you should be good.

Aside from that, have you put sound-deadening materials around the metal surfaces of the floors in the Defender already, and sealed up any/all gaps between the top and the vehicle? Those should alone give you quite a bit of improvement.
Old July 18th, 2014, 11:21 AM
tim
Timothy Homewood
Defender 50th going topless

Hi, about six weeks ago I took the roof off the defender 50th SW, and for the time being installed a fastback with beltrails purchased from a member on this site years ago, so have a real life comparison going to work and back each day. Honestly I find less road noise than the SW..perhaps as a big aluminium box seems to boom a bit. Up to about 50mph I would say its quieter, but beyond that it starts to flap..a lot. This could probably be worse with a full length top.
I also have a SVX top, which was salvaged from a crash in the UK, this has a series of plastic bars sewn into pockets along its length (these are not light plumbing tube but 20mm solid heavy plastic)

------ Follow up post added July 18th, 2014 05:28 PM ------

continued from previous post:
Given the extent of the rips in the SVX top, and the fact I am using a NAS(ish) roll B pillar, I have reskinned mist of the interior of the main canvas. I tried various fabrics and glues. Basic rubber contact adhesive is best and avoid any fabrics with a plastic backing...also I found a quick rub with sand paper helps on new fabrics because there is often an unseen coating. Time will tell if this helps with the flapping..
Tim
Old July 18th, 2014, 11:51 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Yep. My drop curtain cut down a CONSIDERABLE amount on the level of ambient noise when driving on the highway...probably similar effect with the fastback top.
Old July 18th, 2014, 12:03 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Yep. My drop curtain cut down a CONSIDERABLE amount on the level of ambient noise when driving on the highway...probably similar effect with the fastback top.

Drop Curtain? Did somebody say Drop Curtain?
Old July 18th, 2014, 03:17 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

You live in NYC and you have road noise in your soft top? Honestly I think your top might be defective. You should bring the truck to the dealership and see what they can do for you.

If it was my truck I would dynamat the inside of the soft top. This will considerably quiet the truck down.
Old July 18th, 2014, 04:15 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
You live in NYC and you have road noise in your soft top? Honestly I think your top might be defective. You should bring the truck to the dealership and see what they can do for you. If it was my truck I would dynamat the inside of the soft top. This will considerably quiet the truck down.
I am talking about highway noise.
Old July 18th, 2014, 04:19 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Thanks for the new sig Barry
Old July 18th, 2014, 04:53 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

What about a helmet?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ricky-bobby-screaming.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	98958  
Old July 18th, 2014, 05:01 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
What about a helmet?
looks like barry took his funny pills today.
Old July 18th, 2014, 05:07 PM
UTRPh
Danny V
94 D90 #1260

Registry
is this the re-imagined top from the hundredth? I was gonna suggest sending out to whomever did his but you may already have it. Maybe they can re-enforce it. I've got a really good shape tickford on my 94 & that wind flap, mostly from the sides I think, all but drowns out the semi's. I was thinking of taking it to a sailmaker here in the area see what they thought.
Old July 18th, 2014, 05:16 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTRPh View Post
is this the re-imagined top from the hundredth? I was gonna suggest sending out to whomever did his but you may already have it. Maybe they can re-enforce it. I've got a really good shape tickford on my 94 & that wind flap, mostly from the sides I think, all but drowns out the semi's. I was thinking of taking it to a sailmaker here in the area see what they thought.
Exactly. Love the top and it's in beautiful shape. Would just love a little more reinforcement for highway travel. I think the belt rails also added some slack to it. But it really is a very thin material regardless of the rails (as compared to my old bestop, which once I spent an hour getting it stretched on, was pretty quiet on highway).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions