Acetone and fuel MPG - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 28th, 2005, 09:16 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Adding acetone to fuel

I have been following a few threads on the adding acetone to fuel for better gas milage. One thread is on www.pirate4x4.com and another on a jeep forum. The results by those who have tried it are supprising. Most are claiming 2-3mpg better and some are getting up to 5 mpg better. It is said the acetone breaks down the surface tension in the gas to help vaporize the fuel and cause cleaner better combustion. I have not tried it but may give it a shot on my 130 and 1994 Disco. Many people on the thread have tried it with no ill effects. The ratio is 1oz. per 5 gallons. Some are even using Kutex Nail Polish remover with good results. I am sceptical but may give it a shot. Seems to work best in larger engines though one Prius owner used it and he saw a increase of nearly 5mpg.

Has anyone heard of this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2005, 08:26 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I've heard of adding ethanol, which probably does the same thing (surface tension etc.) but I'd be afraid of higher combustion temperatures tearing up the engine (Aluminum and all...). Either way, I'd be willing to try it if you said it ran fine.
Old April 28th, 2005, 08:37 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
The people who seem to be in the "know" about this stuff claim lower combustion temps. Still doing research on it but will probably throw some in the 130 in the morning, it's engine is tired in need of a rebuild in the future anyway. I am only getting 12mpg now with it so I'll see what happens. One thing I have noticed from research is that it does not seem to be working too well for Ford owners. Who knows why? Will fill you in when I get a run a tank of the stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2005, 09:26 AM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Acetone can eat plastic I would NOT put in into the fuel system.

Let us know how it turns out for you.

Ethanol would be better, but I think I read a warning in my owners manual about it! Most petrol sold in the Rocky Mtn states have some ethanol in it for emisions purposes.
Old April 29th, 2005, 09:45 AM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

My undergrad degree is in chemical engineering, and I can say that any plastic or resin capable of withstanding gasoline products is almost certainly capable of withstanding acetone. It should be completely combusted. It's not this magical elixir that eats through anything. It's a simple ketone that combusts rapidly and very efficiently. After doing some basic research on the web, it appears that the claims that it boosts mpg may be chemically feasible, but it's easy to discount because it sounds like the Slick 50 ads or something. Of course the fact that no one stands to make money from it might make it more believable. Just my 2 and I haven't tried it in any vehicles yet. I'm getting 16 or more mpg on the highway anyway in both my rovers BTW.
Old April 29th, 2005, 09:48 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Mike,

Eating plastic and rubber was a major topic on alot of the forums. There are a few people who have been doing this for several years to the same vehicle with no ill effect on fuel lines or plastic. One guy claims to have used it in his 1964 Dodge Van since new. This is the internet so take everything with a grain of salt. Most say the parts per million when you add 1oz per 5gal of fuel is so negligible that it is nothing to worry about. Others say the additives that put in to the fuels like MTBE are much more harmful to fule system plastics and rubber. I am no expert and am trying to gather as much info as possible prior to giving it a go. I think I will use my wifes 94 Disco first as it gets more miles on it per week than my 130. I may waite for a trip to do the 130 test. I am heading out this morning to buy the acetone and measuring stuff. Hope they dont think I'm making meth when I buy it.
Old April 29th, 2005, 10:19 AM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

I should have said any plastics in the fuel path. Obviously acetone is a better solvent for some things than toluene or xylene. I just wonder why this isn't an existing practice already if it makes such a noticable difference in fuel economy. The theory sounds good, though, if it does actually reduce the surface tension enough to vaporize the fuel - it would combust more like propane (already a gas, so more complete burning) You know the really safe thing to do is get a propane adapter kit from the UK and use that.
Old April 29th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot more about using x or y to get another 2 or 3 mpg. Not to mention siphons and better gas cap locks.
Old April 29th, 2005, 12:04 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland
I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot more about using x or y to get another 2 or 3 mpg. Not to mention siphons and better gas cap locks.
Or how about taking the windshield off, or only driving 55 mph!
Old April 29th, 2005, 01:49 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Well I did it to the 1994 Disco. It has 126k miles on it. The last 100 miles I have averaged 12.1 mpg. This has been around town and some freeway. I bought 32oz of 100% pure acetone from Lowes for $5. I also found a 6oz bottle of nail polish sp? remover at Target for $1.49 It says 100% acetone on the front and the only ingredient listed is acetone. If the sanke oil works I will use the bottle to keep in my truck and refill it from the 32oz can. The little bottle also pours into the fuel tank with no mess as it has a long neck. I will let you know if the car blows up.
Old April 29th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymoe
Well I did it to the 1994 Disco. It has 126k miles on it. The last 100 miles I have averaged 12.1 mpg. This has been around town and some freeway. I bought 32oz of 100% pure acetone from Lowes for $5. I also found a 6oz bottle of nail polish sp? remover at Target for $1.49 It says 100% acetone on the front and the only ingredient listed is acetone. If the sanke oil works I will use the bottle to keep in my truck and refill it from the 32oz can. The little bottle also pours into the fuel tank with no mess as it has a long neck. I will let you know if the car blows up.
Ok, using your prices that makes acetone 16 an ounce. So you're basically adding 16 to the price per gallon of gas. In my area gas is running $2.07/gallon so with acetone we're at $2.23/gallon. I get around 13 miles/gallon so that's 15.9/mile at normal prices. If I were to get an amazing 2MPG, or over a 15%, increase in mileage then it'd be 14.8/mile. A 1MPG increase, probably more realisitic if at all possible, makes it a total wash.

If it really did what people claim I'm sure we'd have heard about it long ago.
Old April 29th, 2005, 02:51 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Whoa, let's not get carried away by math here! 32 oz. for $5 is 15.625/oz. Using 2 oz. per 10 gal. of gas adds 46.875 per tank (~15 gal.). Assuming it takes $36 to fill up a tank (or $36.4875 with the acetone). At 13 mpg, you should get 195 miles at 18.46 per mile. IF Acetone gives you a 1 mpg increase (14mpg), you would go 210 miles at 17.37 per mile (this includes the additional 48.75 of the acetone in the gas). So increasing only 1 mpg saves you money.
Old April 29th, 2005, 02:53 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Tony,

Maybe I am not understanding your math. I only put 4oz in my tank. The ratio is approx. 1oz. per 5 gallons, maybe less for some. So that comes out to $0.64 a tank full. The 32oz should last me quite awhile assuming I see any gains at all from this. If I dont see any gains I am only out the $7-8 I spent today. If I do get a few more mpg then I recoup that cost almost immedietly. BTW I have been looking into all the forums I can on this and they all seem to have started around the same time, about a month or two ago. It may be total BS but alot of people are claiming increases in mpg.

Oh I just paid $2.45 for 87 octane for my 130 and $2.76 for 91 octane for the Disco. Two weeks ago I paid over $3.00 a gallon for 87 octane out in the middle of the Mojave. If I can get a few more mpg's for $0.64 a tank full then I am willing to give it a shot.

I just figured my average mpg during my last trip for the 130, fully loaded with a head wind it averaged just over 7.5 mpg. I'll try anything to improve those numbers.
Old April 29th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Tony,

Maybe I am not understanding your math.
It's okay. I don't understand my math either.
I was adding 1 oz/gallon....forget what I said...

Follow-up Post:

Quote:

Oh I just paid $1.45 for 87 octane for my 130 and $1.76 for 91 octane for the Disco. Two weeks ago I paid over $3.00 a gallon for 87 octane out in the middle of the Mojave.
Whoa! Where are you getting gas that cheap? I'm assuming you meant $2.45 and $2.76. I'm not the only math wizard here it seems.
Old April 29th, 2005, 03:04 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Hey, can we do a group buy for that $1.45 a gallon gas????
Old April 29th, 2005, 03:08 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHuny
Hey, can we do a group buy for that $1.45 a gallon gas????

Sorry, $2.45 and $2.76

I think the acetone fumes are getting to me
Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:12 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Well, after a few days of driving the Disco with 4oz. added to a full tank the car has not blown up and the check engine light has not come on. I have only traveled about 50 miles so it is too early to tell if mpg is affected. I am sure it is just wishful thinking but I swear it runs smoother. I put about 5 oz. in my 130 and filled the tank. My 130 tank always leaks if you fill it all the way and you get a gas smell in the cab. The gas smell seems to be hanging around alot longer than normal for some reason. I am sure it is totaly unrelated to the acetone however. There is no change in engine smoothness like I noticed in the Disco but I have only driven the 130 a few miles around town.

I will report back in a few days when I get some more miles on the Disco.

Guinea Pig
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:40 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Kevin, did you build your 130, or buy it that way?
Old May 2nd, 2005, 02:05 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHuny
Kevin, did you build your 130, or buy it that way?
He bought it that way from a guy in California. I was seriously looking at it and passed on it after my wife badgered me about it being 'impractical'. *sigh* He came along about a week later and grabbed it. I've still got pics of it around here somewhere.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 03:09 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

I'm going to give it a try in da pimp mobile. I'm only getting 12mpg and it's costing me $60 to fill it up with 85 octane @ 2.20 It has a 300 hp engine so will see if it makes any diff. Keeps us posted Kevin.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, fuel