Acetone and fuel MPG - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 2nd, 2005, 03:15 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Just to make it clear, the "Pimp mobile" is not a Rover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:36 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHuny
Kevin, did you build your 130, or buy it that way?
It is actualy a 1973 Land Rover Long Wheelbase Utility Vehicle.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:07 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Still going throught eh tank of gas in the Disco. My wife has been driving it all week and I didn't tell her I added the acetone to it. Should be a good test since she wont unconciously change her driving. Should have info in a day or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2005, 07:46 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
OK, so here are my initial results. Without acetone I was averaging 12 mpg. My last tank without acetone was almost exactly 12mpg. Today after lots of stop and go traffic and and lots of around town driving I averaged 13.6 mpg. Not incredible but OK. I will try the next tank without the acetone. Car runs great. I have been asking my scientific friends about any problems with acetone in the gas and initialy they cringe. But when I tell them I am only using 1oz per 5gal. of gas they say it is so diluted that it should cause no problems. There is lots of other stuff added to gas especialy here in California that is just as bad or worse. ie. MTBE. I have not been driving the 130 much but will update when I get some miles on it.

Kevin
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwisteD90
I'm going to give it a try in da pimp mobile. I'm only getting 12mpg and it's costing me $60 to fill it up with 85 octane @ 2.20 It has a 300 hp engine so will see if it makes any diff. Keeps us posted Kevin.

Holy crap, $2.20 a gallon is almost worth driving from SoCal out there just to fill up the tank!!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:16 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm paying 2.15 a gallon for biodiesel.

Not for much longer though, I'm moving west so I can enjoy CA gas prices this Fall.
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I wonder if it will alter the emissions output and get my damned truck to pass without having to spring for a new exhaust.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I can get your truck to pass no problem. PM me if you want a free fix.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 6th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I can get your truck to pass no problem. PM me if you want a free fix.
You can't just say something like that and not give us any details!
Old May 6th, 2005, 08:02 AM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymoe
Today after lots of stop and go traffic and and lots of around town driving I averaged 13.6 mpg. Not incredible but OK.
At over a 13% increase from the 12 mpg, I think that's actually pretty impressive, especially for around town. As Dave has figured the math, it may not be a huge money savings, but it'd sure be nice to get an extra 20-30 miles out of each tank, especially on road trips. I can't wait to see more of your results.
Old May 6th, 2005, 08:06 AM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Mike, I've heard that some people have gotten Series trucks in CA to pass emissions by running 100% isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) during the test. But you can run anything through those lumps without ill effects; I'd fix the cats on a 3.9 myself.

Of course, David said "free", so I'm thinking if you chop a piece of exhaust pipe out, since the emissions test can only do the tailpipe and gas cap test, that might work if they don't inspect it. When I went to test the Disco recently, they failed to notice the 4" hole in the bottom of the resonator/silencer(?) and it passed.
Old May 6th, 2005, 09:32 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I'm paying 2.15 a gallon for biodiesel.

Not for much longer though, I'm moving west so I can enjoy CA gas prices this Fall.
Make it in your backyard for free! Well, you gotta get waste oil and some chemical pumps (if you don't have a tank warmer) but it's easy to do.
Old May 6th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Holy crap, $2.20 a gallon is almost worth driving from SoCal out there just to fill up the tank!!
Man, I loves Texas. We're down under $2/gallon again. I paid $1.96 last night. I was able to revise the gas budget lower for my trip to SCARR next week.

And the gas companies get exactly what they wanted; people celebrating over <$2/gallon gas.
Old May 6th, 2005, 09:52 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

OK... Just so we're all on the same page...

This $2 a gallon price... Are we talking about 93 OCTANE 'Super' Gas ? Or regular 87 ?

I put only 93 octane in the 3.9 like you're supposed to and it's about $2.49 right now here in Tallahassee.

Nicholas

Old May 6th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by norros
OK... Just so we're all on the same page...

This $2 a gallon price... Are we talking about 93 OCTANE 'Super' Gas ? Or regular 87 ?

I put only 93 octane in the 3.9 like you're supposed to and it's about $2.49 right now here in Tallahassee.
I put midgrade in mine to prevent knocking and it's at $2.04. I filled the Mustang with 87 octane at $1.96. Super is around $2.10 here.

Where does it say we need to use Super in our trucks? Not in my manual that I've seen. It'd make no sense to require high octane in a Rover that may be way off the beaten path and need to drink whatever it can find.
Old May 6th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Welll,,, I don't think they ever thought that NAS defenders would be driven outside the US, my manual says I think at least 92 octane, but I know of quiet a few people who run less without much problem.
Old May 6th, 2005, 02:25 PM
easy
Dan Duncan
White '94 Disco 1

Registry
doesnt it have something to do with the compression ratio? If you have 9:1 you use 90+ octane or something like that? also I ve heard that adding acetone works better in carbed vehicles, I might try it in my motorcycle and see how it works.
Old May 6th, 2005, 02:55 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Land Rover V8's are in the 8-9 (ish):1 comp. ratios. Porsche's 997 flat 6 engine is at about 12:1, so, do we need to run 93 octane gas? I don't think so. Lower octane rating means less compression before spontaneous ignition (knocking).

Opinions about octane and Land Rover V8's are like wine or politics, though
Old May 9th, 2005, 08:02 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Here's the opinion of a guy who actually worked at Land Rover on a few of their engines, with respect to fuel saving devices:

http://www.fuelsaving.info/

Still kind of strange that no one besides the fingernail polish remover industry stands to gain from this, though, i.e., there's no bolt-in device to buy.
Old May 13th, 2005, 12:40 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Well tank #2 with acetone produced 13.7, still not earth shattering but better than what I had been getting. Another plus is that the acetone smells realy good It smells better than burned out panhard rod bushings Dave knows what I am talking about.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, fuel