accident repair cost? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 26th, 2008, 01:05 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

accident repair cost?

alright so the old lady who lives with her son next door decided to put her car in reverse, have a seizure causing her to slam on the gas. This started a lovely chain reaction of her backing into her sons parked dirtbike trailer, then into their portable basketball net, which she proceded to push for 35 feet into a community mailbox and of course she finished her rampage about six inches too late and hit the front fender of the defender.

the damage is she dented the side part of the fender, and of course the top part of the fender...
I took it to the only body shop in the area that was recommended(by treasured motorcars) and of course the bill is rather expensive, lots of labor, which i agree will most likely happen...

so it looks like the side piece and the top piece need to be replaced and painted, the company cannot give me a full estimate bc they cannot find a replacement top wing at all, new or used, and doubt they can straighten the current one...

I need to give my neighbor an estimate on the cost of these parts, what would it cost to find a fender top and side?

to be honest i'm going to disasemble the entire truck next summer, replace all the hardware and engine and paint it an entirely different color, so i'm not worried about getting the colors matched right now, i want the money for the parts...

any help? I've looked around and it looks like the side fender would cost at least 400...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

have you tried rovers down south?
Old February 26th, 2008, 01:12 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Ranger
have you tried rovers down south?
the company i'm trying to use for the body repair work called them, they had none, new or used, and could not get any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

If your looking for the insurance money, get an estimate from Rovers North or LRNA - top dollar . I would then call George at RDS, thought I saw stuff on there when I was looking a couple days ago. Body shop can't pound it back in place - has to be replaced.
Old February 26th, 2008, 01:39 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
1) Your shop probably asked for NAS parts, but why don't you just get misc parts and drill the correct holes. RDS has generic side skins for 135 and a damaged front fender assembly for 100 right now on the website (just the headlight panel appears dented).

2) Why do you have to present anything at all to your neighbor? Shouldnt they be presenting you with a number for their insurance so that you can get a full-rate estimate and be reimbursed that amount? Even if they were paying out of pocket, I'd be giving them a full-price estimate from the body shop unless the little old lady had made me one hell of a lot of cookies over the years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 26th, 2008, 01:39 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier
If your looking for the insurance money, get an estimate from Rovers North or LRNA - top dollar . I would then call George at RDS, thought I saw stuff on there when I was looking a couple days ago. Body shop can't pound it back in place - has to be replaced.
yea unfortunately i'm not going to actually be able to get it repaired anytime soon with my big move coming up, the neighbor wants me to get an estimate to see if he can pay it cash before going to insurance...

I'd rather just get cash to buy the parts and paint and then i can sit the parts in the garage until i'm ready to use them after the cross country move.
Old February 26th, 2008, 01:42 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Even if the neighbor wants to pay cash w/o insurance, he still gets the big $$ estimate from the body shop.

Old February 26th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

In this case, go to your Land Rover dealer. I had an accident, and they had all the correct part numbers and were able to order them. Both outers were expensive. Don't recall how much.

I waited over 6 months for 2 NAS outer wings.

Just make sure the parts are the true NAS or order some from George. No body shop will touch drilling out parts as part of an insurance claim, but will do so outside of a claim.
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:14 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

outer wing should be $500, top should be $250 add paint and labor and you are looking at close to 2k.
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
I had the passenger door and front fender replaced for $4,000 at a very good bodyshop. The parts are expensive but so is the labor charges. As I recall the fender was around $400 to $500 for the part.
Old February 26th, 2008, 03:07 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

I'm looking at a bill for 3k, so i know it'll probably go to his insurance, which will require me to do the work before paying out, unfortunately i don't have the time to wait around for that, I'd rather them cut me a check but that won't happen either...

crap this sucks... park your car in your driveway to be safe and no such luck, i feel like the guy who had his ferrari run over while it was parked in his garage, although not that unlucky, or rich...
Old February 26th, 2008, 03:18 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"which will require me to do the work before paying out"

Untrue. They cut you a check on the spot, at least that is how it works around here.
Old February 26th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I also got a check.
Old February 26th, 2008, 04:48 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
"which will require me to do the work before paying out"

Untrue. They cut you a check on the spot, at least that is how it works around here.
this would be optimal, i'll talk to my neighbor tonight... I can't wait to hear from his insurance adjuster, i'm sure they are used to it though...
Old February 26th, 2008, 05:02 PM
hamiamham
mike
97 D-90

check please. you arent required to get the work done. im pretty sure that is universal. you can always call your state insurance comissioner hotline and they will tell you.
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:17 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Regardless, your truck was damaged... They owe you the money. Whether you get the work done or not, they still owe you the money. Don't get pressured into getting the work done.

Old February 27th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

RN has the outer at close to $260 and the inner/top close to $600. Latest from the RN news flyer they send out quarterly. Didn't inquire as to if they were in stock or not. I bet not.

EwS
Old February 27th, 2008, 01:25 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

You should get a check... How's the old lady?

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old February 27th, 2008, 03:26 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by revor
You should get a check... How's the old lady?
I have not seen her since to be honest, I think she is mad at me bc her son probably took away her keys(not a bad thing) I just wish more families would do the same, the roads around here would be significantly safer!
Old February 27th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
By making her payout the true cost of the damage it might get her family to take her keys away. It would suck if she ran over some little kid.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac