Accident :( - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 6th, 2016, 11:08 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

All Great information.

My truck is a 1995 soft top. I have Land Rovers gray removable hard top on it.

-----------------------------------

The USAA guy told me that to figure out the value, they would ask 3 local Land Rover Dealerships what they would be selling the truck for if it was sitting on their lot. I think I am OK there.

Dean told me that he needs to spend a day with the truck, but that the damage did not look that bad, and I did not have to worry about any situation of it being considered totaled. He told me that right now Insurance Companies are throwing values for Defenders at around 32k.

The USAA Estimator said it was about 4k of Damage - but that my Land Rover Speciality shop would 'certainly find more' once they got into the truck. He said that happens 9 out of 10 times, and he almost always approves all that the shop finds.

So The Defender goes to Dean (Independent) on Friday. Dean and I are planning to meet at his shop and go over the truck next Tuesday.

I figure I will know a lot more then.

Thank for everyones help and advice!

FLAGG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2016, 05:56 AM
User Name
User
NAS D90 '95

I'm glad you're dealing with USAA. They're fair but, need guiding. $32k is a steal for them. Unless of course, the truck is rusted out, scratched up, etc... It looked well maintained in the picture. I think the three dealership concept is a bit of an easy out for them; try to push the collectors angle. Maybe get them to the mid $60k range.
Old July 7th, 2016, 06:08 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
You can usually hire a third party to perform a valuation if necessary. Everything is negotiable. I personally have learned to be actively involved with the entire process is helpful. The more pressure and oversight they feel the sharper they have to keep the pencils. That goes for shops doing work as well. Dean is a great guy but he has a business to run and shit happens. Help yourself by staying involved and learn stuff along the way that might payoff in the end.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2016, 06:22 AM
User Name
User
NAS D90 '95

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
You can usually hire a third party to perform a valuation if necessary. Everything is negotiable. I personally have learned to be actively involved with the entire process is helpful. The more pressure and oversight they feel the sharper they have to keep the pencils. That goes for shops doing work as well. Dean is a great guy but he has a business to run and shit happens. Help yourself by staying involved and learn stuff along the way that might payoff in the end.
Good points. It's within your right to get a third party involved but, it is at your cost. Bring it up if the value they come up with isn't to your liking.
Old July 7th, 2016, 08:30 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

As long as they are not totaling it, you should be good. Dean can work with the adjuster on hidden damage. Make sure they price parts at Land Rover genuine prices (even if the parts are not available). Also, how cars are valued for insurance varies state to state, but unless you are in or near a totaled situation that does not matter much.
Old July 7th, 2016, 08:59 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Yes and no. Your truck isn't even close to totaled so it won't much matter what the total valuation is. But I wouldn't want the outcome of any financial transaction with an insurance company residing in the hands of what somebody at a dealership says the vehicle is worth. Especially if they aren't going to evne see the vehicle in person before attempting to place a value on it. There are established methods for ascertaining the true market value of a vehicle and as far as I know, that isn't one of them. What's wrong with the KBB or NADA valuations or just looking at historical sale prices for recently sold vehicles in this area. Not that geography plays much role in the valuation of collectible vehicles. Where this could matter is in the event your vehicle gets totaled in future incident. Then you might be in trouble if they have previously decided on a low-ball valuation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
-----------------------------------

The USAA guy told me that to figure out the value, they would ask 3 local Land Rover Dealerships what they would be selling the truck for if it was sitting on their lot. I think I am OK there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old July 7th, 2016, 12:07 PM
Brentflyfish
Brent McDonald
1988 LHD 110 SW

Registry
I am reading this with interest. I too have USAA and do not have an agreed upon value policy. I have put a lot into my 88 110 SW and am concerned about value in an accident. I read through the posts and didn't see what type of policy you have. I may have missed it. Was it standard or agreed value?
Old July 7th, 2016, 04:16 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Brent,

I have standard USAA insurance. They 'advised' me to do 'agreed value' insurance a few years ago when I inquired. They are affiliated with a company that does it. The problem is that my Defender has always been parked outside. I hit a stone wall with all the collector insurance companies that I called, on this issue of not being in a garage.

I am thinking for the first time in 21 years it will have a new paint job - and probably look better than ever after leaving Dean's shop.

I think it is time to protect my investment. I am looking into a storage place a couple miles from my house, where I can rent a 10x15' bay. I can switch cars all the time. My goal would still be to drive the truck on a lot of errands. But finally get it out of the sun, rain, tree sap, bird droppings, leaves, sticks, snow, etc. And stop having to wipe the floorboards out every time it rains

If I go this route - I am going to pursue 'agreed value' insurance once again.

FLAGG
Old July 8th, 2016, 06:57 AM
User Name
User
NAS D90 '95

Here's a quote I got a year ago. Notice I didn't want collision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3312515267.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	153350  
Old July 8th, 2016, 09:29 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Yeah - that American Collectors Insurance is the affiliate company that USAA send me too. But they would not be willing to do anything if it was not kept in a garage……….

As I said - I may be trying to get my Defender in a garage this fall. If so, I am pursuing this for sure!

FLAGG
Old July 12th, 2016, 02:15 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

I towed my Defender to Independent Land Rover on Friday. Dean looked over my truck yesterday. I drove down to see his shop, and meet him for the first time today.

I can not imagine a better first impression than I got today.

Dean spent 2+ hours with me. We went over my truck bumper to bumper. He also showed me some other Defender projects he is working on.

I am confident that my Defender is in Fantastic hands.

Thank you for referring me to him! I think this is going to be the start of a long relationship.

FLAGG
Old April 25th, 2017, 10:29 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Flagg, did you get the vehicle back? I haven't seen it at the shop. If so, how did it turn out?

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old April 25th, 2017, 11:09 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Been a long wait...

Ren,

Actual work has finally just started on my Defender middle of last week. It has been a ridiculous wait. Insurance company negotiations. Parts on backorder from the United Kingdom. And waiting my turn in line for the collision shop walking distance from Dean's shop to start work (it is located there). They have a full time restoration guy working on it, that is worked with Dean before. Dean is overseeing the work the collision shop does.

At this point, I am kind of numb with the process. But I am putting my believe in the fact that everyone on this site seems to love Dean and respect his work. Also - I really like him as well. I think everything will turn out GREAT in the end - and I will probably get my truck back in the summer?

The collectibility and value of these trucks, makes it worth the wait. Hopefully I have made a good decision in waiting all this time.

The rust from sitting outside for 22 years is being removed. It was surprisingly not that bad and the painting process made it easier to get to. Dean says that oiling the chassis all these years - saved my chassis. We are lucky in that the minor accident gave the perfect chance to have the insurance company pay for the new panels and over half of the paint job.

It will probably be sometime in the summer (hopefully) before we get it back.

Attached are pictures of what it looks like now, probably it's most stripped down state. The Rack and top had to come off for proper painting. It has the hood removed, front fenders off, floor boards out, etc. The windshield will also come out. Insurance amazingly paid for the labor to take it apart (and to put the truck back together), because Dean and the collision shop was able to convince them of the collectibility of the truck, and how the rack and top must come off for a proper paint job.

You can see it has a long way to go

I will definitely start posting more pictures here - when progress starts happening!

FLAGG
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8502.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	235297   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8503.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	235305  

Old April 25th, 2017, 11:18 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
Brent,

I have standard USAA insurance. They 'advised' me to do 'agreed value' insurance a few years ago when I inquired. They are affiliated with a company that does it. The problem is that my Defender has always been parked outside. I hit a stone wall with all the collector insurance companies that I called, on this issue of not being in a garage.

I am thinking for the first time in 21 years it will have a new paint job - and probably look better than ever after leaving Dean's shop.

I think it is time to protect my investment. I am looking into a storage place a couple miles from my house, where I can rent a 10x15' bay. I can switch cars all the time. My goal would still be to drive the truck on a lot of errands. But finally get it out of the sun, rain, tree sap, bird droppings, leaves, sticks, snow, etc. And stop having to wipe the floorboards out every time it rains

If I go this route - I am going to pursue 'agreed value' insurance once again.

FLAGG

You can probably buy a 10x15 Amish shed for a few thousand. If you have room on your property just lay it on pressure treated skids/gravel.

Instant garage
Old April 25th, 2017, 11:24 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
Here's a quote I got a year ago. Notice I didn't want collision.
How does the lack of collision work in no-fault states? Or how the the lack of collision when there is a wreck and it is 100% the other driver's fault yet this can't be proved or supported by the police report?
Old April 25th, 2017, 11:29 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
How does the lack of collision work in no-fault states? Or how the the lack of collision when there is a wreck and it is 100% the other driver's fault yet this can't be proved or supported by the police report?
probably mediation

Old April 25th, 2017, 02:16 PM
The_Vermonster
Gordon
1984 110 CSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
"no-fault" just means your insurance pays for your problems, period. So regardless of whether you hit pole, or another car, you will only be responsible for the damage to your car, the property, and the people in your vehicle. If someone else hits you, you'll have to pay 100% of the repair costs.

The only way to make them pay is to take it to court. The idea of no-fault is to remove the insurance companies from costly litigation. A police report would help, but you better have more than that even if it says the other person could have been at fault.
Old April 25th, 2017, 03:11 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
n/m, it got explained.
Old June 7th, 2017, 09:52 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

A long road - Update

Hi,

I went to see FENDER yesterday. You will see from the Photos that there is a long way to go, but I think the truck is in the right spot. I believe that I will not be getting the truck back until the fall at this point.

The owner of the Collision Center, Gary, now has two shops. One for daily quick accident repairs - and a new one purely for restoration and special projects. One of the many delays, is that Gary did not want to fully take the necessary parts of my car for painting until he opened his new facility. He spends all his time now at that facility.

Work is definitely happening on my truck now. Painting should happen in August. Then all the parts and pieces have to be put back together. Then it will return to Independent (Land Rover Expert - DEAN’s shop), for some mechanical work and a few other items to be put back on the truck there.

I saw samples of work Gary has done, and some of the other projects he has in the shop. He can do projects that are very nice, to projects that become show quality cars where ever screw and bolt is replaced and the car becomes better than new. I told them that my goal is to have a very nice quality job done, that will make the truck solid to have long term - but that it was a family truck that would be used - and I did not need a total ‘show’ quality restoration.

All the areas of gray that you see on the truck, are actually glass smooth, for painting. They are repairing any dents and dings that the car has gotten over the years. Several of the panels are new from the accident.

Everything is actually very clean in this shop, and the parts seem well organized. I included a picture of all the parts that came off Fender! The parts fill several shelves!

I will probably go back to the shop every 2-3 weeks to check the progress and make decisions. It is a long process, but I think it is going to turn out great at the end.

FLAGG
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	d1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	253314   Click image for larger version

Name:	d2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	253322  

Name:	d3.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	253330   Click image for larger version

Name:	d4.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	253338  

Name:	d5.jpg
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	253346   Click image for larger version

Name:	d6.jpg
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	253354  

Old June 7th, 2017, 12:19 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

If I saw my truck like this it would enrage me. Do you know how fragile that cage is. The way they are storing it is bullshit. Remove the cantrails. Don't just leave them like that. Not to mention your cubby box isn't even covered.

Hope their painting is a cleaner environment then what I'm seeing here.

------ Follow up post added June 7th, 2017 10:21 AM ------

Also just noticed they didn't even full disassemble your hard top. Again not much care to fragile stuff.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac