AC to Air compressor - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 20th, 2003, 04:25 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

AC to Air compressor

I like being able to air down my tires on the trail but hate having to find a gas station with a compressor, than have to wait for the slow compressor to air up my tires ( lets not forget it take at least $1 to air up 4 35s"). I have seen on line that people have modified their AC compressor so that it will pump air (they call it a york compressor). It does not look all that hard but I was wondering if anyone has done this to their 90. I think it is a cool alternative to having a air tank or electric compressor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2003, 11:05 AM
KeithD
Keith Duckett
90 V8 Import

Registry
I am about to have it done but using a rotary Sankyo/Sanden compressor picked up from a scrap yard. There's plenty of room (in my 90 at least). I think rotary jobs are more compact than the York. A mate has done on his Jeep. the problem with non-York type compressors is lubrication (I don't think the York needs it) the rotary type compressors like the Sanden does and getting the right kind of lube and then remembering to periodically oil it is crucial. Normally the regrigerant does this. After a few mistakes he has got it all sussed though. we have all the bits, just a question of us both having time to install it. Those rotary compressors are fascinating things inside - amazing the way they work. When we do it I should photgraph the process and email to Chris for the mods section.
Old October 22nd, 2003, 11:42 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Keith, The compressor that came in the 90s Ac system is a Sanden Rotory. Mine is self lubricated I think. I have the manual I got off line and it says that you put oil in the top plug that mine has. I plan on filling it with compressor oil and giving it a try. Ispun it with my drill last night and it pupmed air at 200 rpm. Mine is a Sanden 7851 (now 7819) it has 155cc of displacement and at about 1000 RPM I am guessing about 6 cfm. Are you going to put in a tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2003, 11:34 AM
KeithD
Keith Duckett
90 V8 Import

Registry
No plans for a tank - some Jeep guys do it - very convenient but it's more space taken up in the back and complications. I'll find out what oil my mate uses.

what pressure do you run out by the way off road - I am comfortable at 15 but have been down to 12. a mate I was with lost a tire at 15 last week though on his LR - I was at 18 at the time. Some fellow wheelers go down to 8 without bead lockers.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 01:01 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I have run 20 to15 psi, On the street I run 30-35psi. I was thinking of using compressor oil.
Old October 25th, 2003, 10:18 AM
Doug_Paoletti
Douglas P. Paoletti
'94 D90

Check out www.roverworx.com for what looks to be a great engine driven rotary compressor. My problem is that I don't want to give up the AC. Has anyone added an engine driven air compressor in addition to the AC compressor instead of in place of it?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, compressor