AC re-charge - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 8th, 2015, 01:14 AM
brooks1thompson
brooks thompson
none

AC re-charge

I just recently bought a 1988 Defender 110 with AC. My old pump was seized so I bought another older one that works but there is a leak in the line. My question is if I fix the line how do I fill the system? The adaptor does not seem to work with any over the counter re-charge systems. Do I need a special adaptor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 8th, 2015, 01:24 AM
javelinadave
-
-

You will need the system evacuated and then recharged with whatever proper refrigerant.
Old July 8th, 2015, 03:33 AM
tdi-rick
Rick
'98 130CC

Old R12 systems used 1/4" SAE threaded flare fittings, the newer R134a fittings are a barb and are often retrofitted onto the old R12 fittings.

I'd be doing an oil change on the compressor, keep everything closed as much as you can, get a new dryer, keep it capped and only change it when you get the system evacuated.
Even the old 5GS mineral oil is hygroscopic so everything needs to remain closed and clean.
I've seen mineral refrigeration oils looking almost fluro yellow from the amount of moisture they've absorbed, let alone how bad POE's and PAG's become when exposed to the atmosphere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 8th, 2015, 08:47 PM
brooks1thompson
brooks thompson
none

Thank you!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac