AC problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 10th, 2007, 12:07 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

AC problem

I'm having a problem with my air conditioning in my 94 Defender. I first thought it was low on R134A so I checked the pressure, and it was at 150 (should have been under 20 if it needed to be recharged). So I noticed that when the AC is kicked on, the fans go on, but the clutch on the condenser doesn't do anything. I traced the wire back to a relay and fuse, and they both checked out fine... when I ran direct power to the condenser, the clutch worked. I'm wondering if there is some sort of message being sent from the ECU to not kick over the relay if the pressure is too high? And if the pressure is too high how do I release it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2007, 08:05 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

Did you determine what was wrong here, ... as I have a 97 air in my 94 Defender and am having the exact same problem. I believe it is the high pressure switch as if I bypass the high pressure switch, the compressor runs and cools fine.

Thanks,
DJ
Old July 15th, 2007, 09:32 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Had a similar problem a few months ago. The compressor clutch was going
in and out too often. It result to be thermostat sender (not sure about the
name, will check manual).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2007, 12:57 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

I haven't fix the problem but a friend of mine has a Rangie and said he had the same problem. I don't know how i built up the 140psi but he said to put the hose and switch to the R134a on there without the can attached and press the trigger. all the pressure will escape and should be back to normal.

I haven't done this yet so i don't know if it works or not! SO DON'T TRY IT YOURSELF... or try it and let me know what happens
Old July 16th, 2007, 09:16 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

The 25psi is with the compressor running on the suction (low) side. With the compressor off the pressure in the system between the low side and the high side will become eual and read higher.
Old July 16th, 2007, 09:32 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Daniel, iirc there is a temperature cutoff - ie, it wont run the A/C if the engine temps are too high. Once way to test this is to disconnect the temp sensor (it's to the bottom left of the thermostat housing) and connect the two wires. If you clutch now engages properly you either have a bad temp switch or a overheating problem.

I'm going off my crappy memory which means I could be way off, but when I installed electric fans in my truck I used the A/C temp sender location for the fans, and had to close the A/C sender circuit to allow at least the A/C fans to come on.

hth
charles
Old July 22nd, 2007, 11:35 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

so I was testing out the A/C again today. the car sat all week, so i started it up with the A/C on full blast and it was coming out cold! and the clutch was out too. so i let it run for a around 10 minutes. then i jumped in to drive and put it into 1st gear and all the sudden the A/C shut off and the air went warm!!! wtf.

so did putting the truck in 1st kick it off?

or was my timing so on that the engine heat was too high and kick it off? the temp was right in the middle. like usual.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 11:42 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

If it cooled properly for ten minutes sitting still then I would guess your freon charge is ok. Sounds more like a loose wire or a control problem.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 09:31 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Sure sounds electrical to me. The only electrical changes I can think of that occur with going to first gear is:

1). Parking brake circuit opens (cutting power to brake lights and dash indicator) and
2) Brake lights come off after you release.

If your parking brake was on in park, you may have some kind of oops in your wiring where something was spliced and your ac relay switch feed is getting it's power from the parking brake or some other non oem source. I would trace the feed wire.
Old July 30th, 2007, 06:36 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

I took it out again this weekend and got in and fired up the AC. it was blowing cold, so i took off driving and it was still cold! drove about 5 miles in NYC traffic and was still cold. this whole time i was monitoring the temp. about 20 minutes into the drive the temp gauge hit just over the half way mark the AC turned off and blew normal outside air in.

Charles, does this mean your theory was right? do I have a bad temp sensor? I don't think i have an overheating problem. I mean, it gets hot and sometime the needle is like 3/4 in the temp gauge but that is only if i've been wheeling it hard or like driving for 3 hours then hit an hour of traffic.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac