ac not turning on all of a sudden - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 16th, 2006, 04:47 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

ac not turning on all of a sudden

It is in the upper 90s here so I threw the top on. I turned the air on and nothing, no fan, no compressor trying to kick in. It is like it is dead. Worked a month ago, only thing new is two new dual optimas, everything the same, thing was Ice cold a month ago. Checked both fuses in fuse panel they are fine, what's next. In a 95 ST factory air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Sounds electrical, I would check to see that it is getting power to the relays. Do you have avolt meter?
Old July 16th, 2006, 10:25 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Sounds electrical, I would check to see that it is getting power to the relays. Do you have avolt meter?
yup, the relays are under the fuses correct? what should I see, if they work or something else? could a relay go out all of a sudden?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2006, 11:52 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Check under the dash and make sure things are plugged in tight. I use to have the same thing happen on the old rig. There was a big rectangular plug by the passengers left knee that would wiggle loose.
I miss my D-90!
Old July 17th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by draaronr
yup, the relays are under the fuses correct? what should I see, if they work or something else? could a relay go out all of a sudden?
easiest thing to check first, have someone turn the switch for the AC on and off, you should feel the relay click if you have your finger on it. If it is like most of the AC systems the relays and fuses are mounted on the heater box.
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:18 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
easiest thing to check first, have someone turn the switch for the AC on and off, you should feel the relay click if you have your finger on it. If it is like most of the AC systems the relays and fuses are mounted on the heater box.
if they aren't clicking they are bad, or not getting power?
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by draaronr
if they aren't clicking they are bad, or not getting power?
Could be either, could also be that the switch is broke and not sending power to activate the relay. If you have a test light or a volt meter it is much easier to test out. But it is just a standard relay, you can swap it with another one.
Old July 19th, 2006, 02:02 AM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Dunno if it helps with the D90, but on my '94 LWB RR the AC dryer has a sensor on it that will activate the compressor clutch. If there's not enough freon in the system or if there's too much, it won't let the AC system engage.

I'm going through similar troubleshooting and learned that tid-bit just the other day.

Now I'm also learning that my clutch does indeed work, but the compressor is siezed.

Anyone parting out a Disco?
Old July 19th, 2006, 08:58 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

;;;;;;;;;;;deleted, wrong thread.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac