AC issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 11th, 2016, 01:47 AM
Ai91
Anthony
97 defender 90

AC issue

Hi guys. Ran my ac for the first time the other day coming home from work. Blew cold air and car and seemed all was good. Drove the truck about 5 miles with it on. Parked with the truck off for 20 minutes and when I came back to start it up it had a really rough time idling and wanted to shut down. Had to keep the rpm's up for a little bit till it finally would idle normally. Any ideas what the issue could be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2016, 01:53 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Was the ac on when you went to start it up? I'm thinking IACV. Despite the extra load of the compressor, it's possibly an unrelated issue and would have happened anyways.

Just pull the stepper motor and open up your intake to the throttle body, clean them with crc throttle body cleaner, and then see if the engine is happier.
Old April 11th, 2016, 01:56 AM
Ai91
Anthony
97 defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
Was the ac on when you went to start it up? Im thinking IACV. Possibly an unrelated issue and would have happened anyways.
no it was off when I started it up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2016, 02:02 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Yeah, ac could be an unrelated false positive in this case and the rough idle/engine wanting to stall could have happened anyways. Have you driven it since? Does it want to die while stopping at a traffic light?

If you haven't had a look yet, or know that it's been done recently, cleaning the maf, throttle body and IACV are really easy and cheap things to do. It can't hurt either, and it'll certainly rule that issue out as a possible culprit.
Old April 11th, 2016, 02:11 AM
Ai91
Anthony
97 defender 90

Quote:
Yeah, ac could be an unrelated false positive in this case and the rough idle/engine wanting to stall could have happened anyways. Have you driven it since? Does it want to die while stopping my at a traffic light? If you haven't had a look yet, or know that it's been done recently, cleaning the maf, throttle body and IACV are really easy and cheap things to do. It can't hurt either, and it'll certainly rule that issue out as a possible culprit.
yes I drive it everyday. I haven't had the issue since but I haven't been using the ac
Old April 11th, 2016, 02:13 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Ok. Hmmm. Well, if you are able to recreate the same result by running the ac again, then it's probably not anything I've mentioned so far.
Old April 11th, 2016, 07:05 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Check your belts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 11th, 2016, 08:15 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

Pulling the stepper motor (located of the back passenger side of the upper plenum) is easy and a common problem. Give it a good cleaning and the area inside the manifold where it seats too. That could fix it. If not, Disconnect the MAF connector and see if the same issue results. If all is good then the MAF is bad. If neither of these then you'll have to dig deeper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2_1_3.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	146960  
Attached Images

'71 IIA 88" LS1 hybrid
'84 110 5 door 'Nigerian Princess'
'90 RRC
'97 D1 LSE (parting out)
'02 D2 Kalahari
'02 D2 SE
'02 D2 SE
Old April 11th, 2016, 10:44 AM
Ai91
Anthony
97 defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Check your belts
my belts are squeaking as well. Should've mentioned that earlier
Old April 11th, 2016, 11:03 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
If your belts are squealing, you might have had the problem with the engine wanting to stall when the extra load of the ac condenser kicked in. After you check the belt for wear, glazing, or cracks, also check the IACV (stepper motor as described above) and the maf. Use specific cleaners for each (throttle body or electronics cleaner for the stepper/IACV and maf cleaner respectively). Your engine will thank you.
Old April 11th, 2016, 12:45 PM
Ai91
Anthony
97 defender 90

Quote:
If your belts are squealing, you might have had the problem with the engine wanting to stall when the extra load of the ac condenser kicked in. After you check the belt for wear, glazing, or cracks, also check the IACV (stepper motor as described above) and the maf. Use specific cleaners for each (throttle body or electronics cleaner for the stepper/IACV and maf cleaner respectively). Your engine will thank you.
what exactly would glazing or wear look like? Also just looked under there and looks the there's some oil leaking from the drivers side head.
Old April 11th, 2016, 12:52 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Glazing looks a lot like this. Any shiny surface where the pulley meets the belt can be a sign of slippage and age. Replace if u have no idea. No belt no go.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 11th, 2016, 12:59 PM
Ai91
Anthony
97 defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Glazing looks a lot like this. Any shiny surface where the pulley meets the belt can be a sign of slippage and age. Replace if u have no idea. No belt no go.
lol.. Ok thanks. I replaced them maybe 5-6k miles ago. Is it normal for them Togo that quickly?
Old April 11th, 2016, 01:14 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai91 View Post
lol.. Ok thanks. I replaced them maybe 5-6k miles ago. Is it normal for them Togo that quickly?
not in my experience but if they're running loose they will wear quickly/improperly. take a looks with a flash light to see if you have excessive shine and check how tight they feel. Have someone start the engine withou the compressor on and watch the pulley when it is turned on, looking for slippage and listening for odd sounds.

Old April 11th, 2016, 04:08 PM
Ai91
Anthony
97 defender 90

Just took a look and my radiator cowl cracked and was rubbing against the belt. Which also cracked half the fins off of my cooling fan and damaged some of my radiator as well. Also noticed it looks like I'm leaking oil out of both cylinder heads and inlet manifold. Just had the heads rebuilt with a new camshaft and all new gaskets 8k miles ago. Not what I was expecting to see...
Old April 12th, 2016, 02:01 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Geez, that's an unfortunate chain of events. I hope you had all this work done at a reputable shop that will stand by (what could turn out to be) their shoddy workmanship.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions