AC Install - Should i Do it?? - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 13th, 2016, 04:44 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by st0k3d View Post
Contact number for the DOT: 1 (202) 366-4000
You volunteered that a/c is a "red flag" and not to import a truck with after market a/c....Im asking YOU what else did he say he looks out for? Not something you are comfortable sharing with the community either?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2016, 04:59 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
You volunteered that a/c is a "red flag" and not to import a truck with after market a/c....Im asking YOU what else did he say he looks out for? Not something you are comfortable sharing with the community either?
All I said was I wouldn't import a truck with aftermarket A/C and that if I was OP I would call DOT before bringing it in with it.

I am not comfortable sharing anything more because I am not a representative of the government. They are a public agency funded by our tax dollars. Call them with your questions.
Old June 13th, 2016, 05:13 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I would assume the original poster is having someone import the truck for him that can tell him what is okay and what isn't. Personally if I was customs and it came in with that rear AC unit, I would turn it around for that reason alone.

Nothing says luxury and comfort like front and rear AC in a 200 TDI. I hope you also plan Kahn wheels and heated cup holders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2016, 05:17 PM
K2atlanta
Kevin
1983/Defender110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
i think he means it is $1000 more for the AC/Heat combo. That thing is heinous. No way I would bother with that.
Sorry, I took it as it was an additional $1000 to add the rear unit. There's only a $100 difference btw the 2 units at RN. I 100% agree it's not the most beautiful set up, but it's function over form this time. Anything to keep the little man cool in the summer and warm in winter.
Old June 13th, 2016, 05:34 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Doesn't have to be ugly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	151872  
Old June 13th, 2016, 05:46 PM
kurtisblo
Kurt
1991 Defender 110, LHD 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
I would assume the original poster is having someone import the truck for him that can tell him what is okay and what isn't. Personally if I was customs and it came in with that rear AC unit, I would turn it around for that reason alone. Nothing says luxury and comfort like front and rear AC in a 200 TDI. I hope you also plan Kahn wheels and heated cup holders.
Yes I am and have enquired with them on the question.

Wolf wheels but I do like the Kahns

------ Follow up post added June 13th, 2016 02:47 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2atlanta View Post
Sorry, I took it as it was an additional $1000 to add the rear unit. There's only a $100 difference btw the 2 units at RN. I 100% agree it's not the most beautiful set up, but it's function over form this time. Anything to keep the little man cool in the summer and warm in winter.
It is an additional $1000 to buy and install the rear unit. The factory has significant savings by already having the truck there

------ Follow up post added June 13th, 2016 02:47 PM ------

Quote:
Doesn't have to be ugly
do tell. What is that unit?
Old June 13th, 2016, 06:30 PM
K2atlanta
Kevin
1983/Defender110

Registry
Quote:
Doesn't have to be ugly
Wow! I really like that one. I've seen one similar to that before, but never found a source for it. Do you know who the manufacture is or who the vendor is?
Old June 13th, 2016, 06:46 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Wow! I really like that one. I've seen one similar to that before, but never found a source for it. Do you know who the manufacture is or who the vendor is?
Trying to get the info on it. Will keep you posted.
Old June 13th, 2016, 07:23 PM
K2atlanta
Kevin
1983/Defender110

Registry
Quote:
Thanks Barry! I'd love to know, it was in the mid 90's again today in Atlanta, so it gets me searching for a solution.
Old June 13th, 2016, 08:07 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Thanks Barry! I'd love to know, it was in the mid 90's again today in Atlanta, so it gets me searching for a solution.
Yeah! No kidding! That is the best looking and ideally placed aux a/c system for the rear I've ever seen! Very cool! Pun intended. ;-)
Old June 13th, 2016, 08:13 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Kurt, I wish you all the luck. Once my kids hit about 5' they started to veto taking the 110 on family trips.
Quote:
My daughter vetoed the 90 yesterday to go ten miles.
Parenting is not a democracy. You guys need to bust out the "tough love" on theses youngsters !
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 13th, 2016, 09:03 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Doesn't have to be ugly
Any pics of one that isn't ugly?
Old June 13th, 2016, 09:27 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

What's this A/C thing?

The girls just ask me to put the soft top on ...and roll up the sides, as long as we're moving its fine.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old June 13th, 2016, 09:50 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Any pics of one that isn't ugly?
See above or is that a joke about what I posted?
Old June 14th, 2016, 01:24 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
A relative of this one? Not as modern looking, but still....

ECR also had a newer looking one come through, but I couldn't get a brand again either.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...cts-28335.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3408628735.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	151913  
Old June 15th, 2016, 04:37 PM
kurtisblo
Kurt
1991 Defender 110, LHD 200TDI

Registry
Here is some information from CoolAir Logan in the UK regarding the rear AC. I'm not going to install it but I thought this would be helpful for the community since there isn't much information out there.

----------

You are seeking more information regarding our rear unit so I will clarify as much as I can for you.

The rear unit which provides only air conditioning has been on the market for the last 18 months with a retail price of 995 plus installation. It requires a front air conditioning system to already be installed to a vehicle in order for it to operate, but although it interfaces with the front system, it generates its own cooling capacity via its own evaporator. The front system does however need to be in operation in order for the rear to function. As to temperature control, it is not regulated by a thermostat, but has as you have already noted a 3 speed blower switch. What I can say however is that our client in Hong Kong who kindly sent us pictures of the unit in operation during the heat of their summer, demonstrated that the vent temperature in the rear got to under 10 degrees Celsius when on the fastest blower setting. I have attached this picture for you.

The rear heater and air conditioning combined unit only finished the design stages earlier on this year, and the first unit off the production line was sent to Rovers North who are now actively selling this unit. We have actually only just started selling this to the open market ourselves at a retail price of 1295, and production levels are currently low until the demand rises, which we feel will happen at the end of the British summertime. This unit offers exactly the same in terms of cooling performance as the previously described system, but also offers heating to the rear of the vehicle. It has its own ceramic heater element which is turned on via the red button on the unit itself and powered by the vehicle battery. The system is equipped with a voltage sensing device that cuts out the heater if the battery voltage falls too low and a timer that allows the heater to operate for 20 minutes. It can be immediately reset by pressing the button again for a further 20 minutes. We have set it up to draw approximately 74 amps giving around 900 watts heating. Our test reports reveal that it is effective at that level and if combined with the front heater it will be very effective. I have attached a photograph of the test results for you, which show the vent temperature and the temperature readings at the front, centre and rear of a 110 LR at 5 minute intervals. On the day of testing the outside temperature was extremely cold and the start temperature within the vehicle was 5 degrees C. I confirm that for the purposes of the testing, the front system was not turned on. I have also attached a photo of the rear of this combined unit, visually this is the only difference between the two systems. I know you have seen this on the Rovers North website, but I felt it was a better close up picture for you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rear AC Vent Temp - Hong Kong summer.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	152013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Combined Unit Picture.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	152014  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rear heater test results.pdf (95.0 KB, 3 views)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions