AC Install Assistance - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 14th, 2015, 02:31 PM
RoverNC
James Wortman
1994 D90 #1693

AC Install Assistance

I am looking for an AC upgrade (no AC to some AC) in an 88 3.5 V8 110. One option I am looking into is a 94 NAS takeoff version. What will be my fitment issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2015, 06:42 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverNC View Post
I am looking for an AC upgrade (no AC to some AC) in an 88 3.5 V8 110. One option I am looking into is a 94 NAS takeoff version. What will be my fitment issues?
20 year old worn parts with limited spares availability ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 14th, 2015, 07:16 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

Why not just get a VA under dash system, condenser, pump & make your own hoses up.... prob get the lot new for under a grand and it'll work, be serviceable & reliable.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...uy-a/overview/
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2015, 07:29 PM
RoverNC
James Wortman
1994 D90 #1693

Thanks for the feedback thus far, but will a 1994 NAS AC system fit my 1988 110 with a v8? What kind of modifications should I anticipate if any?
Old August 15th, 2015, 10:22 AM
RoverNC
James Wortman
1994 D90 #1693

Bump.
Old August 16th, 2015, 05:20 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverNC View Post
Thanks for the feedback thus far, but will a 1994 NAS AC system fit my 1988 110 with a v8? What kind of modifications should I anticipate if any?
As long as the 88 is LHD then you should be OK - physically. You'll probably need to use the AC compressor mount and tensioner from the 94 at a guess. The belt drive should be OK.

You'll need an over temp sensor in the water hose ... either use a x-eng temp switch in a hose or use the genuine article from the 94.

The wiring is fairly straight forward and any competent auto electrician should be able to figure it out.

If you have the Davia system then prepare to swap in a replacement compressor ... they are NLA and so you should source an alternative and have the appropriate hoses made up. You'll have to do it soon as the original is 20 years old like I mentioned earlier.

The condenser 'radiator' is probably a bit fragile by now ... consider sourcing a replacement.

You'll need a new drier - the canister that goes down on the frame.

The 94 AC connects to the ECU to signal the additional load and let the ECU compensate ... assuming yours in a non-efi you won't have to do this. If yours is EFI then depending on the model you may need to hook it up.

I went through all this crap to retro fit AC to by 95 from a 94. Frankly I would buy a new kit and save myself the hassle. You can get it to work ... but it will break and when it does work it's barely adequate in a 90 and certainly inadequate to cool more than the area around the front seats.

Can it be made to work ... yes ... is it a reasonable approach ... nope!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac