AC info - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 4th, 2006, 10:13 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Sounds like you're on it - its a simple logic system that isnt terribly complex once you work through it (and note that the switching occurs on the ground side of circuit). Fortunately the 97 NAS installation manual details the operating condiditons and failure modes quite nicely. Hope everything works out for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 5th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
Jim
I think you missed the point here; I'm not entitled to free technical advice at all, but if XXX cannot answer a PM I'd appreciate XXX's silence or real help on the same topic thread. Period.
I think YOU missed the point! This is a forum, if you feel that you can help or add to a topic and are willing to then by all means post away. If you feel like badgering someone because you think they are holding out on you then you should reconsider posting. Even if ECR is holding out on you, BIG DEAL, he offered advice he went out of his way to help you yet you attack him publicly. This kind of thing won't be tolerated.
Old June 5th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Pat
Patrick M.
D90 '96 300Tdi 5 speed

Jim
The switching that occurs on the ground side of the circuit is just for the switch that turns the fan on when the coolant temperature reaches 221F.
The one that forces the AC off when the coolant temperature reaches 237F is a NC located between the clutch relay and the AC clutch control at the evaporator panel (no ground here).

Quote:
Fortunately the 97 NAS installation manual details the operating conditions and failure modes quite nicely.

Well, you installed the NAS kit in a 300Tdi, it seems to me that what the manual says is not completely applicable now.
How many thermal switches did you finally get installed at the 300Tdi thermostat elbow(see the picture)? 1 or 2? if your answer is one, you might be in trouble. You know the 300Tdi is very sensitive to high temperatures.

Mike
You are right; probably I just got too mad at ECR ignoring my PMs while posting confusion on the same topic thread the very same day. But what you said is definitely right; this is a forum and I should've coped with ECR's behavior just by myself. My apologies to the group on this.

On the other hand and finishing this discussion please let me disagree with you on one point though: ECR from my humble point of view, on this thread, did not help nor offered any valuable advice either.

Thanks
Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Switches.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	5819  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 5th, 2006, 11:02 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I remember figuring out the wiring for the trinary switch, but we were out of wires at that point. Thinking about it again makes me wonder if the computer signals would vary from the ECU depending on the temperature values you mention. I'll have to re-look the work (its been a while now) to see if I have any temperature safety cut-off at all. It doesnt exactly worry me since I'm pretty good at reading a temp guage and have about 30k miles under my belt with the Tdi.
Old June 5th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Pat
Patrick M.
D90 '96 300Tdi 5 speed

Jim,
I consider you have a VDO temperature gauge+sender if not is even worse
but trust me, no human being is good enough watching a 300Tdi temperature.
Those engines are awesome but temperature in diesels is a big issue that can
be triggered in a flash.

If I were you I would definitely check the protections.
Many people even add a temperature alarm with the sensor directly attached to the cylinder head because if you lose coolant (hose failure) the temperature gauge will go DOWN and you are burning the engine. That's because the temperature sensors on a TDI sense the coolant temperature....

Pat

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac