AC Compressor and Blower Just Stopped - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 2nd, 2010, 10:03 AM
Raleigh D90
Ben
Somewhere Across Town

AC Compressor and Blower Just Stopped

Hello everyone, thanks in advance for your help.

Now that it is not 97 degrees here it is time to dig into my issue. Driving down the highway, AC on and then the whole show just stopped. No compressor, no blower, nothing. Pulled every fuse (couldn't find the fuse cover) and have not yet checked the relays... Which relay is it? Any other ideas? Seems it's a relay or fuse just because the entire thing quit.

Thanks again....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2010, 11:12 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Definitely electrical, no doubt.

For blower AND compressor to stop, I would suspect the main harness connection. Those two have seperate relays and fuses. Not sure on 94 as I have the later model installed, but it is big and brown, and likely near and passing through one of the two firewall ports on either side of the main fuse panel over the tranny hump.

the only common points that the blower and compressor share are the big brown connector, the main harness feed, the main harness ground, the AC ECU (which is likely in the facia by the A/C switches) and the common ignition feed. It's gotta be one of those. I seriously doubt it's a relay. They don't share relays that I can think of.
Old July 5th, 2010, 02:24 AM
671rover
671rover
94 d90

The AC blower fuse for my 94 is located below the main fuse box inside the cab. It a separate fuse holder, mine was 25 amps. The relay for the compressor is in the engine bay by the heater blower motor, the fuse is next to the relay. Mine had a black plastic cover covering the relays and fuses. There should be 2 relays, one is for the compressor and the other if I remember correctly, is for the electric fan. There's a fuse next to each relay.

Both my AC blower and compressor went out about a month ago, turns out the tie wrap holding the wire for the coolant temperature and compressor broke which caused the wires to touch the exhaust manifold by the oil cooler lines. The wire insulation melted and perhaps caused a short that blew the AC blower fuse. I had to resplice the wires and replace my blower fuse, works fine now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2013, 01:43 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Same thing just happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh D90 View Post
Hello everyone, thanks in advance for your help.

Now that it is not 97 degrees here it is time to dig into my issue. Driving down the highway, AC on and then the whole show just stopped. No compressor, no blower, nothing. Pulled every fuse (couldn't find the fuse cover) and have not yet checked the relays... Which relay is it? Any other ideas? Seems it's a relay or fuse just because the entire thing quit.

Thanks again....
Exact same thing just happened when it was hotter than a fat man's ass crack in Mumbia where parka pants!

Anyway - checked all fuses good to go. I will try to find what the thread says but anyone else have any input or just had this happen and found a solution?
Thank you,
Old August 31st, 2013, 01:50 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
Exact same thing just happened when it was hotter than a fat man's ass crack in Mumbia where parka pants!

Anyway - checked all fuses good to go. I will try to find what the thread says but anyone else have any input or just had this happen and found a solution?
Thank you,
Happened to me a few weeks ago - swapped in a new passenger footwell relay and it worked again. Always keep a couple in the truck. Forgot which one it was.
Old August 31st, 2013, 03:45 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Steve,
I can't recall but these are the two that sit above the ac unit and could you get to them without removing the vent housing?
Old September 1st, 2013, 05:09 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Steve,
I can't recall but these are the two that sit above the ac unit and could you get to them without removing the vent housing?
Yep - sorry, just got back to this - on the right side of the passenger footwell.
Old September 1st, 2013, 06:14 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

The fan switch that turns it on will also fail. I've replaced mine twice in fourteen years. Napa has a replacement that works with the '94 system.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 03:58 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Relays

Quote:
Steve,

Steve,
I will see if I can get after those relays. Since mine is a 94, I do have 2 relays out in the engine bay whose housing is affixed to the heater box and they each have their own fuse which was showing power. I am guessing that there are 2 others that work the AC next to the ECU?
Clay

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, compressor