AC clutch not engaging (94 D-90) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 29th, 2012, 01:50 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
AC clutch not engaging (94 D-90)

The PO ran for +10 years with the AC belt off saying who needs AC when riding with the top off during Wyoming summers? Good point. Lucky him. He said the system work before and it still looks to be in good shape now.

Installed an AC belt yesterday and the compressor clutch did not engage when turning the AC fan switch and turning the AC temperature switch. The AC fan works and blows hard. Is this how you turn on the AC or is there something I am missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2012, 01:51 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Yeah ... it needs gassing up. The AC gas would have leaked out ... and the clutch only engages when you have sufficient pressure.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 29th, 2012, 01:56 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Yeah ... it needs gassing up. The AC gas would have leaked out ... and the clutch only engages when you have sufficient pressure.
Good as any place to start. Thanks for the tip. Any luck with those ~ $40 32-oz freon recharging kits at Autozone or are they junk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2012, 02:15 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
When did they switch to R134? My RRC was changed to R134 and the Walmart DIY recharge kit was easy enough to recharge the system. It now blows cold, for a Land Rover. You better make sure which type of "freon" yours uses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old May 29th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Lesandjes
AndrewT
'93 NAS D110

if you had R12 and are switching to R134 you can get the conversion kit for the valves where you get the R134. I would also swap the drier as you are supposed to do that when you switch refrigerant and its a good idea to do that given its age anyway.

AndrewT
'93 NAS D110 #437
Old May 29th, 2012, 03:06 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Good as any place to start. Thanks for the tip. Any luck with those ~ $40 32-oz freon recharging kits at Autozone or are they junk?
you need it done properly at least to start ... they need to evacuate the current system and then set it up correctly. Should cost abou $70-80 I think.
Old May 29th, 2012, 05:52 PM
tgraham
Travis Graham
1994 Defender 90

Registry
The '93/110 system was R-12, but I believe the '94 (Diavia) system was R134a. R134a service ports will be two different sizes, utilizing pop-on connectors. R-12 will use threaded ports of the same size.

Regardless, if your system has been depressurized for any amount of time, you should replace the dryer, immediately vacuum the system thoroughly, test for leaks, then recharge the system with new refrigerant.

Travis

Old May 29th, 2012, 05:58 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Just like others have said, the proper "fix" is to replace the drier, pull a good vacuum on the system, and recharge with appropriate refrigerant and oil.

That said, it might be prudent to just check the pressure in the system with a manifold gauge. You might just be low on refrigerant. In which case you might get by with topping off with a can of refrigerant (just be careful not introduce contaminants like air/water).
Old August 20th, 2012, 09:50 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Finally got around to troubleshooting/charging the AC system. As mentioned in the first post, the AC clutch was not engaging. Reading it is not a good idea to charge the system with the pump not spinning, first step was jumper out the relay (and temp and pressure switches) by putting 12 volts to the pump. Yea, the clutch engaged. Removed power, cleaned off the fittings and hooked up a can of R134a. No pressure, no assuming a leak someplace. Plumped Freon in briefly, turned the pump back on, and the pressure stabilized at 10psi after a few minutes. Checked the vents and they were blowing cold. Shut everything down and sure enough, could hear and see the leak. One of the ECR oil lines was in contact with and wore through the AC high pressure tubing coming off the condenser. The oil line adapter plate must of loosened up and rotated during an oil change or was in contact after the install of these lines. Good news is the SS braiding on the oil lines show no signs of wear. Looks like the radiator will need to be pulled to replace the tubing.

Thoughts on the best place to procure a new dryer and this section of tubing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1775.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	56076   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1778.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	56077  

Name:	IMG_1780.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	56079   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1783.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	56080  

Name:	IMG_1784.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	56081   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1789.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	56082  

Old August 20th, 2012, 02:35 PM
tgraham
Travis Graham
1994 Defender 90

Registry
This same hose let me down a few years ago. I took it to a hydraulic hose shop and they put a new hose on the original fittings. You'll probably have to do the same, since I'm sure it's hard to find (and old/used anyway, if you can find it).

For the dryer, I generally avoid parts from any local auto parts store like the plague, but Auto Zone part #4120 was a perfect fit, cost ~$30, and has been working for years (as long as the hose mentioned above).

Good luck!

Travis

Old August 20th, 2012, 03:47 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgraham View Post
This same hose let me down a few years ago. I took it to a hydraulic hose shop and they put a new hose on the original fittings. You'll probably have to do the same, since I'm sure it's hard to find (and old/used anyway, if you can find it).

For the dryer, I generally avoid parts from any local auto parts store like the plague, but Auto Zone part #4120 was a perfect fit, cost ~$30, and has been working for years (as long as the hose mentioned above).

Good luck!

Travis
Great tip re: the dryer. I will check it out. For the high pressure line, it is tubing. I will need to get one bent to shape with fittings. Is this what you meant?
Old August 20th, 2012, 03:57 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/ac/ac-fittings-39.php
Old August 20th, 2012, 04:05 PM
tgraham
Travis Graham
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Great tip re: the dryer. I will check it out. For the high pressure line, it is tubing. I will need to get one bent to shape with fittings. Is this what you meant?
Oops - sorry, I wasn't too clear. My hose burst and they replaced it, but I also had a suspected leak on the metal fitting itself, which was welded (by the same hydraulic shop). That might be a possibility.

Travis

Old August 20th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Are the drier fittings #8? If so, I have some extra fittings and hose you can have. We can even crimp 'em for you.

Semper Fi!
Old August 20th, 2012, 08:24 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Are the drier fittings #8? If so, I have some extra fittings and hose you can have. We can even crimp 'em for you.
No idea and thanks for the offer. Don't think hose will work for this application, need ridged tubing bent to shape. Will make this a winter project.
Old August 25th, 2012, 12:00 AM
chasrover
Brian
1968 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgraham View Post

Good luck!

Travis
Does that dryer fit with the trianary switch or does it have a compatible after market new one? I am having trouble sourcing a trianary switch for a 94 d-90 and don't know if fitting a whole new dryer is the answer.

thanks,
Brian
Old August 25th, 2012, 04:27 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Russell,
Also, on a side note I have an early 94 (R134) and the P.O. said to always turn the blower fan on first than the temp as if you didn't follow this process, it had a tendency to blow a fuse. Not sure what the issue is or my truck specific but...just a thought.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, ac, clutch, d-90