AC choices for a Defender - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 26th, 2016, 04:00 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

AC choices for a Defender

So I saw an ad on ebay for a defender air condition kit, I am not going to post the pic but take a look for yourself as I am not sure if this is a vendor on the site so you can search at your own leisure if this post interest you. Anyway I spoke with a few aftermarket air condition companies and here is one response below. They can supply a unit under the passengers side footwell for $1520 plus shipping. Hope this helps. If anyone has found a supplier for a more like stock Davia and Wynns system please post (besides the RN $4K system). I did not check if they can do a RHD version but there were very helpful and maybe they can.

Rock Browning
RetroAir- Mr Jaguar
800-840-6162- 972-416-1219
rockb@retroair.comwww.retroair.com

Hi Clay,
Thank you for your interest and inquiry!
The Ebay, system is just a Universal type and we can duplicate that Evaporator as well as supplying you with a High Efficiency Condenser, Compressor, Drier and barrier Hoses. Your cost for all new parts, without the Compressor Brackets, will be $1520.00 pl;us actual shipping.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2016, 04:03 PM
jruti
Jon Ruti
'94 D-90, #20

Registry
Was thinking about taking mine out and selling it (don't know what model but out of a 94 NAS). If you really need one I could be convinced.
Old May 26th, 2016, 04:05 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Have you looked at Nostalgic Air Parts (now Nostalgic AC Nostalgic AC - Aftermarket Air Conditioning For Automobiles ) instead of Retro Air?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2016, 04:06 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
So I saw an ad on ebay for a defender air condition kit, I am not going to post the pic but take a look for yourself as I am not sure if this is a vendor on the site so you can search at your own leisure if this post interest you.
just post the pic or info
Old May 26th, 2016, 04:21 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Have you looked at Nostalgic Air Parts (now Nostalgic AC Nostalgic AC - Aftermarket Air Conditioning For Automobiles ) instead of Retro Air?

Josh, I reached out to 2 places. since I really don't have a dog in the fight people can do a more expanded research as I don't have the time. I reached out to classic air and nostalgic air.

ok here is the link:

Land Rover Defender 90 110 130 300 TDI AC Retrofit Kit | eBay

I did just ask Rocky if he had a RHD version as well and will post his response. Goal is hopefully this will help someone.
Old May 26th, 2016, 05:01 PM
ATX_D110
Victor
1985 RHD D110 (SOLD)

Subscribed!

Clay - I'm about to pull the trigger on the RHD 300Tdi version.
Old May 26th, 2016, 05:23 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Rhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX_D110 View Post
Subscribed!

Clay - I'm about to pull the trigger on the RHD 300Tdi version.

Victor from Retro Air or form RN? I just asked Rocky if he can get me a price on a RHD version that he says that they carry for RHD jags and merc. I will post when I get a response from him.
Old May 26th, 2016, 08:03 PM
ATX_D110
Victor
1985 RHD D110 (SOLD)

Quote:
Victor from Retro Air or form RN? I just asked Rocky if he can get me a price on a RHD version that he says that they carry for RHD jags and merc. I will post when I get a response from him.
I'll wait to hear back from you however I'm not afraid of buying the kit from ULC.
Old May 27th, 2016, 02:31 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

RHD potential units

Rock at Retro air responded with the following regarding RHD units:

With our experience, we undoubtedly could design a better one that is more efficient and better looking. However, since we just moved, it would take some time that we just donít have right now.
I am attaching some pictures of our E-Type unit which would be comparable in appearance to existing Kits, but would be much more efficient.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E2RHDInteriorWilson.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	150350   Click image for larger version

Name:	E-typeEvapAssChromeLouv RetroWM.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	150351  

Click image for larger version

Name:	RHD E-type evap case.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	150352   Click image for larger version

Name:	S3RHDRAEvap.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	438.6 KB
ID:	150353  

Old May 27th, 2016, 02:52 PM
kurtisblo
Kurt
1991 Defender 110, LHD 200TDI

Registry
Has anyone installed a LHD version of RetroAir's unit? I have a 1991 200tdi LHD D110 that I'm trying to figure out what the best lowish cost options are
Old May 27th, 2016, 03:19 PM
ATX_D110
Victor
1985 RHD D110 (SOLD)

Quote:
Rock at Retro air responded with the following regarding RHD units: With our experience, we undoubtedly could design a better one that is more efficient and better looking. However, since we just moved, it would take some time that we just don’t have right now. I am attaching some pictures of our E-Type unit which would be comparable in appearance to existing Kits, but would be much more efficient. Thanks.
Very slick and thanks for sharing.
Old May 27th, 2016, 05:00 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

tech section

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtisblo View Post
Has anyone installed a LHD version of RetroAir's unit? I have a 1991 200tdi LHD D110 that I'm trying to figure out what the best lowish cost options are

Kurt since the tech section archives go back a number of years and with people coming on and dropping off the forum, I would do a search to see what folks have done in the past or possibly on the web if no one responds to you.

Good luck and if you do go that route, make sure you take some pics to help others out. The hardest and first thing I would do is track down the engine mounts for the compressor, extra pulley on the crank(if you need one) and the belt tensioner set up to run an ac compressor for a LHD 200tdi. Once you got these pieces the kit is less of a worry as now you know what you need to run it. I would also think that a 200tdi (or 300tdi) discovery would have the set up you wanted as far as engine brackets.

I am in no means an expert or care to be on what tdi options a discovery 1 came with throughout the various world markets. I am sure other members can lend their technical expertise in that area.
Old June 1st, 2016, 06:05 PM
kurtisblo
Kurt

Registry
Thank you. I'm such a novice that i don't even know where to find the engine mounts, what the pulley on the crank does or belt tensioner. Trying to research and figure it out.

I did reach out to CoolAir Logan (provider of OEM AC units) and they stated that due to demand, they are working on a 200TDI AC package and hope to have it ready to ship in the next few weeks. Have people here been happy installing CoolAir Logan units on 300TDIs?

Land Rover Air Conditioning Systems | Coolair Logan : Coolair Logan

----------------------- email from Coolair Logan-------------

"Dear Kurt

My colleague has forwarded me your email regarding your enquiry into our Landrover Defender 200Tdi air conditioning kits. I can confirm that we supply a kit that is suitable for a 200 Tdi, but we do not currently supply the brackets, pulleys or tensioners. However, due to a recent increase in demand for a kit for these engines we are now in the process of developing these mounting systems to offer as a supplementary purchase option with the air conditioning kit itself. We are still a few weeks away from being able to retail the mounting system and unable to offer a price just at the moment for this. However, I can confirm that the kit without the mounting retails at £1882 plus transportation.

I hope the above information was useful to you, please do not hesitate to come back to me if you have any more queries.

Best regards

Wendy

Wendy Shaw
Sales and Marketing Manager

Deacon Road
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
LN2 4JB
Tel: +44 (0) 1522 523622
Fax: +44 (0) 1522 527408
Old June 2nd, 2016, 12:38 AM
wolfpak110
James
1987 Defender 110

Registry
I am also looking for an AC unit for my 87 110 4.0L. The only one that looks legit is the RN one for $4289. The unit itself looks great and look straight from the factory but I'll probably never consider it because of the cost. I would be ecstatic to find a cheaper one for the 4.0, I just haven't seen one yet, still looking though...
Old June 2nd, 2016, 12:46 AM
Brentflyfish
Brent McDonald
1988 LHD 110 SW

Registry
I am starting the search for a system for my 1988 lhd 110. Any Recs would be appreciated.
Old June 2nd, 2016, 10:19 AM
kurtisblo
Kurt

Registry
I'm getting a quote from CoolAir Logan for my 200tdi and may pull the trigger while she is still in the UK. I'll let you know how it goes
Old June 2nd, 2016, 12:09 PM
spikemd
Ted
2001 P38, 2006 LR3, 1991 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpak110 View Post
I am also looking for an AC unit for my 87 110 4.0L. The only one that looks legit is the RN one for $4289. The unit itself looks great and look straight from the factory but I'll probably never consider it because of the cost. I would be ecstatic to find a cheaper one for the 4.0, I just haven't seen one yet, still looking though...
If you have a 4.0l petrol engine, mounts and compressors will be much easier to find compared to the older diesels which never offered ac as an option.

I will be following this thread as AC will be essential for my 1990 LHD 2.5 diesel if I ever get it to the states and registered in CA.
Old June 2nd, 2016, 11:28 PM
kurtisblo
Kurt

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikemd View Post
If you have a 4.0l petrol engine, mounts and compressors will be much easier to find compared to the older diesels which never offered ac as an option. I will be following this thread as AC will be essential for my 1990 LHD 2.5 diesel if I ever get it to the states and registered in CA.
Was AC never a factory option on the 200 TDI engine?
Old June 3rd, 2016, 12:21 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
You only need the disco bracket (or make one they are really stupid simple) the adjuster pulley mount that bolts to the timing cover along with a tensioner pulley from a v belt 3.9, and a looonnng belt. A Sanden 508 compressor is about $150 new, and the rest is roughly $500 ish from places like vintage air. The hard part is making holes in your perfectly good bulkhead.
It isn't that hard as a diy project. Your local gas station wrench can charge it with refrigerant for about $50.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old June 3rd, 2016, 08:02 AM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtisblo View Post
Was AC never a factory option on the 200 TDI engine?

Yes, it was, but most of the parts are hard to get, NLA, or just ridiculously expensive. I think I priced just the brackets to mount the compressor to the engine, and assuming they were still available they were like £400 for everything, new.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, defender