ABS CVs fit in non ABS car? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 21st, 2014, 01:15 AM
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW
ABS CVs fit in non ABS car?

Ordered HD axles from GBR and noticed the CVs are slotted for ABS. Mine is a 95 so no ABS but I figured it wouldnt make a difference. I installed them and now when I manually turn the axle it sorta feels like the CV is making contact with something ever so slightly. I'm also hearing a bit of a noise coming from the CVs. Normal? I've never really listened to my CVs before so I have no frame of reference if they are supposed to be quiet. Do they all do that or is there a clearnece issue with ABS CVs in the swivel house of a non ABS truck? The hubs arent on so i'm just grabbing the tip of the axle through the stub to turn the CV. No binding or restrictions otherwise.

Land Rovers are by far the best looking 4x4 on the back of a flatbed...
Old July 21st, 2014, 02:00 AM
1984 110
I think all cv's went over to abs ones regardless of abs fitment ,have you filled the swivel with one shot yet ...? Or did you prelube the cv before fitting also if you have the hub removed the cv is loose in the stub axle and would move a little maybe a combination of no lube inside the cv and being loose is giveing you your noise I'd build it all up lube it all give it a quick short run then recheck for any noise / problems ... If you still got noise you may need to strip and recheck everything, was the bronze bush still in good condition in the stub axle ?

Old July 21st, 2014, 05:55 AM
Jeff B
ABS cv's have material removed from them to provide the ridges.
I would think they fit fine.

Real Rovers have round headlights!

Rent my beach house!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions