abrupt engine cutout - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 11th, 2009, 04:29 PM
zimm
bart
anyone moves..... #238 sold

abrupt engine cutout

kinda odd. here are the symptoms...

110 nas v8

engine dies. no rumblin' bumblin' or stumblin'.
sometimes, the rpm at idle drops to 250-400 and its powerless, but running. like a bank of cylinders is out. i was on the highway when that happened, and i cut the ignition and it restarted while drifting. but mostly i have to wait 2-3 minutes and it will restart.

check engine light comes on, but there are not any error codes... mostly. twice i got a code 03... there isnt an 03.

it did this about 4 months ago then stopped. i just changed the cap and wires and it did it 5 times.

bit of a bitch changing gears going around a bend in traffic and you lose the power steering and you almost get reared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
without the rumblin, bumblin, stumblin, I would rule out fuel as the culprit. abruptness generally is electrical from my experience; you have spark then you don't. air and fuel fade out.

wires would have been my first check, but you did that, so if you are having intermittent weak spark, it could be that your coil is giving up the ghost, or you have a crappy connection (power or ground) to your coil preventing it from fully charging for a spark unload.

you must double check your grounding strap from your engine to your frame. often overlooked. I was having all kinds of unexplained ignition trouble in my CJ a while back, and then one day underneath while doing something else, I noticed the grounding strap had rotted and broke. after that was replaced...whaaaabaaam!
Old October 11th, 2009, 05:34 PM
zimm
bart

yyyup. lotsa connection chasing ahead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer
1995 AA Yellow NAS D90 #2986

Registry
Just after I bought my D110, I had the same symptoms on the drive home. It died in KY midway home, and it restarted after a few minutes. I ordered new cats the next day, installed them, and the problem went away.
I thought you were going to sell your D110??? Just give up on it... What do you want for it?
1995 NAS Defender 90 AA Yellow #2986: Current
2009 Range Rover Supercharged Black/Black: Current

1993 NAS Defender 110 #375/500: Sold
1995 NAS Defender 90 Soft Top Beluga Black #2556: Sold
1991 Range Rover Hunter Green: Sold
1997 NAS Defender 90 Station Wagon Portofino Red #128: Sold
1993 NAS Defender 110 Beluga Black #215/500: sold
Old October 12th, 2009, 02:32 PM
zimm
bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Winningham
Just after I bought my D110, I had the same symptoms on the drive home. It died in KY midway home, and it restarted after a few minutes. I ordered new cats the next day, installed them, and the problem went away.
I thought you were going to sell your D110??? Just give up on it... What do you want for it?
wife, daughters, business, dog.... you name it its for sale 24/7 for the right price. as a matter of fact, i toss the women with the truck. the kids are really pretty, you'd think you were getting a smokin' deal at the time....

seriously, yea. the truck is for sale. they sorta grow on ya, but i may have a line on one thats missing from the registry, and prolly needs an ECR rebuild just to pass pa inspection... but im starting to get a taste of what i like in these... so yea, its for sale.

Follow-up Post:

i have a new y pipe and o2's in the garage. we'll see it that does it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine