about to put in the 4.6, engine questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 27th, 2006, 09:10 AM
brian bertolini
about to put in the 4.6, engine questions

So, I'm finally getting around to putting this 4.6 into the defender. How many of you out there did your own porting? I'm trying to decide if it would make enough of a difference? I don't want to sacrifice torque for horsepower. Also, I need new push rods- should i go with adjustable rods or keep them stock? I'm running a hotter cam, but the 3.9 heads. I take it the pushrods are the same between the 4.6 and 3.9? Also, I'm going to replace the clutch discs and throwout bearing. Is oem the way to go?
Brian Bertolini

Follow-up Post:

just realized I'd already asked about the clutch. So it looks like Oem is the way to go.
Brian Bertolini

Old February 27th, 2006, 11:32 AM
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC
I just did a 4.6 with 3.9 heads and a mild cam for my 110 and I used standard push rods as I did not shave my heads any (yes they are all the same). I de-burred and polished the ports some but I did not port match them per say. I used oem clutch, diaphram and thowout bearimg...don't forget your pilot bushing as that should be new too. Did your crank have a dowel pin that you had to deal with before mounting the flywheel? The torque difference between my old tired engine and the 4.6 is amazing.

Old February 27th, 2006, 11:10 PM
If you're going to flow your ports without doing any other headwork you're better off just removing the obstructions and not going crazy grinding material, especially deep within the throats. Just de-burring and polishing will give you all the flow you need if you're running stock injectors/trumpets/headers ect. As far as push rods go you'll be fine with stock as long as you didn't go crazy with the cam and check your lifter preload ahead of time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions