A question on lights- The proper way? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 12th, 2013, 11:22 PM
Gish
David
1987 Defender 110 Ex Batus

A question on lights- The proper way?

Hi All,
I've recently acquired a 1986 LHD Defender 110 - Ex Batus here in Canada and have run into some wiring/light issues.
This was a restore project by someone else and i'm not 100% sure if some of the wiring is right, perhaps someone could shed some light. It's the bug eye style lights.

With the light switch all the way on the main headlights are on along with the front fogs(Small lights right?) I can turn off the main headlights with the left hand switch. Is this normal operation?
- With the lights on I have no rear red's - Again is this normal?
- The fog switch on the right currently does nothing, though I thought at one time it did turn on the rear reds.
- Brakes lights work just fine, however with the right hand turn on it then stops working when I brake and it'll light up both the brake light and turn light.
- 4 ways only work on the right side.

I will be reviewing the grounds as that seems to be suggestion number1 when having electrical issues.

Perhaps if someone could shed some light as to normal operations that'll help me in tracing my problem.
Which lights should be on when the switch is in the various positions would greatly help.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2013, 11:32 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Is your 110 an ExMOD Defender? Does it have a big round dial in the middle of the dash to turn the lights on and off?
Old July 12th, 2013, 11:34 PM
Gish
David
1987 Defender 110 Ex Batus

Yes that's right. It's the large 6 way switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2013, 11:35 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Realized that the exmod light switch is different from typical Defenders, edited my post to reflect this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gish View Post
The fog switch on the right currently does nothing, though I thought at one time it did turn on the rear reds.
IIRC, a separate "fog" switch on the right is a "rear fog" light switch. It should not turn on the rear reds. It looks like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gish View Post
Brakes lights work just fine, however with the right hand turn on it then stops working when I brake and it'll light up both the brake light and turn light.
The turn signal operation and brake light operation should be independent as any other modern vehicle.
Old July 12th, 2013, 11:40 PM
javelinadave
-
-

OFF: All lights are off.
CONV: Convoy light only.
SCONV: Convoy and side lights.
T: Tail and rear number plate lights.
ST: Side, tail and rear number plate lights.
HST: Head, side, tail and rear number plate lights.

Try setting it to HST (Headlamps, Side Markers, Tail lights) and see what works and what doesn't.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions