A few problems - Help needed - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 13th, 2005, 03:23 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

A few problems - Help needed

So I just drove to Orange County for work.
On the trip down, the battery light came on twice, stayed on for about 1 minute, and went out again.
I checked my battery voltage, and with the engine running, its about 14.9V

any ideas?

Also, upon getting here, I was checking the truck, and noticed, the rear righ spring is completely off the seat, and about 1" away from my RR tire. How can I knock this thing back, before the drive back?

any help would be greately appreciated.

-arbi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 13th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbik

Also, upon getting here, I was checking the truck, and noticed, the rear righ spring is completely off the seat, and about 1" away from my RR tire. How can I knock this thing back, before the drive back?
Jack the frame up to unload the spring and bang it back into spot. Should be fairly easy.
Old April 13th, 2005, 04:54 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Stock jack

Thanks for the reply Tony,

but I dont have a hi-lift jack with me, so basically..I have the stock jack,and some minor tools.
Any ideas?
I was going to drive up a high point (curb, etc) with the right front wheel to offload the weight from the rear right, and try and bang it in place...but I'm open to suggestions.

AdvTHANKSce

-arbi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 13th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well beore I had the cones up front I had to bang my front springs back in all the time on the trail. But the fronts have the shock inside to hold the spring from going to far off the seat, so you may not want to just bang away at it like I did. Do you have anything you could put the jack on to get it up higher to lift the frame? You could do like you said and drive up something on the front to unload the rear and rear seat the spring.
Old April 13th, 2005, 05:50 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
How you get the spring back on the seat is kind of up to you, but it does mean that the retainer strap is missing. I'd replace that ASAP.
Old April 13th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

Arbi,

The bottle jack may be enough, if you remove your wheel. Jack up the frame as high as you can, then support it with blocks or whatever you can find. Remove the jack from the frame, and switch it over to the axle. Jack up the axle enough to remove the wheel, then lower the axle as low as you can. That will take all the load of the spring and you should be able to reseat it.

Another option would be to borrow a spring-compressor.

Or, since you're in OC, if you're near Irvine/Lake Forest, just stop by West Coast Rovers (949-768-3777).

Trevor
Old April 14th, 2005, 02:58 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Thanks Trevor,

I just drove it home...
I'll hopefully be swaping the rear spring this weekend..so I'll take care of the problem then.
Also..from what I understand..there are no straps to hold the rear spring in place.

-arbi
Old April 14th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
How you get the spring back on the seat is kind of up to you, but it does mean that the retainer strap is missing. I'd replace that ASAP.
There's supposed to be a strap? Hmmm. Mine doesn't/never had one. I'll have to look at my friend's 90.
Old April 14th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

Arbi and Tony, yes, in their stock configuration, the rear springs are retained on the bottom by straps. The attached picture from www.expeditionexchange.com illustrates these, and how they're prone to bending. The stock setup has no retainer on the top of the spring.

I've used spring retainers from Safari Gard, and am currently running with Expedition Exchange's (which are much beefier). You can see them at https://www.expeditionexchange.com/retainers/, as well as a discussion of retainers vs. drop-out cones, etc.

Trevor
Attached Images
File Type: bmp LowerStrap.bmp (292.0 KB, 76 views)
Old April 14th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

When I got mine it didn't have any front or rear! Well it did have cones in the back and 3" springs. I just made some out of 1/4" by 1" strap. Cheap and easy!
Old April 14th, 2005, 04:54 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Good point trevor and Mike.
Yet another thing I need to address on the rig.

When I change my springs, I'll have to address that issue.

-arbi

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
problems