A few electrical questions - '92 tdi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 21st, 2010, 01:10 PM
Tony Lawson
1986 D110 ex-200tdi to be 6BT
A few electrical questions - '92 tdi

so - a 92 200tdi UK D110

Did the LHD conversion and managed to wire up the TD5 warning light cluster. But a few...wtf....moments occured during this process and was hoping y'all could help.

First - are there ANY better schematics than these POS's that seem to be all that's out there. I was somewhat surprised - and amused - to find that when you break it down, it is very similar to the 2002+ color schematics that are out there broken into circuits, but this thing is a mess. Plus, I can't for the life of me find the key/schematic to "#35 - Steering column switches". Seems a big piece to be missing. Also, the selector switch that is mounted under the binnacle that turns the interior light on and off isn't in this schematic - so what else is missing?

Second - the lights. No issue per se. When I move the light selector to parking light on, the main head lamp, after a few seconds, comes on in a dim setting. How is this done? The only schematic I can find show this "Voltage Transformer" - now the last time I checked, transforming DC voltage isn't that easy to do. You either use a resistor- down voltage only, a switching DC power supply(not really 1986 technology), or an occilator followed by a transformer follower by a rectifier. I did find a relatively large resistor up under my right wing. Is this the 'transformer'?

third - the low fuel level light. At first, I just connected the white/slate (WS) in the harness. Then I found a little circuit board wrapped in foam further back in the dash harness - about 3/4" x 2". It had a green and black wire going in (ign power and ground) and WS wire coming from it - I assume this is a resistive comparator circuit that opens a gate at a certain level to turn on the light. But there is NO record of this little gem anywhere I can see. Anyone ever seen this? Any part number or schematic out there? Haven't gotten low enough to see if the thing even works yet.

I'll try add the pdf's that I've been working from

OK, thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Composite Circuit 1986.pdf (298.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: pdf Light Circuit 1986.pdf (77.7 KB, 57 views)

Old September 21st, 2010, 01:36 PM
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen
The voltage transformer thing was fitted to rovers over here around the 1990's.

What it did was... if you selected "dipped beam", that is, full headlights, with the igniton on, then you got full lights.

If you turn the ignition/engine off, the headlights go out, but the small sidelight/marker lights stay on.

There was a rule in the UK road laws that said you couldn't drive with such small marker lights on, so as such, if you try having just "side" lights on with the ignition, the voltage transformer gave 1/10 voltage to the headlights, giving them that dull glow. there should be a large wire wound resistor bolted up in the RH (i think) fender which does the voltage reduction, and a relay up under the dash to control all of this shenanigans.

you can just pull the relay out and be done with it, so reverting back to main, side or off. (later rovers don't have this, as the rules changed)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

electrical, tdi