A cure for seat rattle - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 21st, 2010, 10:32 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

A cure for seat rattle

As you may have noticed the plastic clips that hold the front of the seat base to the rails is pretty prone to breaking, of about 25 sets I have looked at recently about 22 were broken and allowed the base to move and rattle.

The problem is those clips are not a part you can buy and replace without replacing the entire seat base for about $200 per-seat and even then they're just going to break again.

The fix was to machine a new and better retainer from Delrin which is fitted with a ball-bearing and spring to retain the seat-bar as shown in the attached photos.

They are not really cheap to make by hand but should be a fit and forget solution. If I can get orders for at least 10 seats at $60/set (enough to do one seat base) I can get a batch made and hopefully come up with a way to get the time needed down a bit. (These are basically at cost and what I paid to get the ones shown here done).

Send me a PM if interested.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2010, 10:52 AM
jorge
JORGE ESPINOZA
97 ST WHITE MODS SUPERCHARGED

Registry
I'm in ,but just to clarify I need to do both passenger and driver seat .
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:54 AM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

Count me in PM when funds are needed... Very Cool
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2010, 12:04 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I'm interested. I broke my passenger side clip and I have tried to get a replacement from ET for the past three months. I may be up for two pairs but can't commit just yet.
Old August 21st, 2010, 01:57 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

This would be one of the best mod ever! put me down for a set
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old August 21st, 2010, 02:19 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

What about the 'rings' for the back of the seat base that hold the pegs. Could you make a replacement for those as well?
Old August 21st, 2010, 03:24 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
So it would be $120 for both seats?
Old August 21st, 2010, 05:37 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Crikey..... you lot must need to go on a diet.... i've never seen a broken one over here!!
Old August 21st, 2010, 08:18 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I've hear that they even have machines for stuffing food into their mouths.......seriously though, I see a pile of Defenders and I have never seen a broken clip, lots of broken seat rails yes. I do like the mod though just because I like to say Delrin and unobtainium and my favorite, snivelon.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old August 22nd, 2010, 09:03 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

The part that breaks is the thin piece that holds the rail down, not the thick part that holds it from sliding forward. I'll take a photo in a bit and post what I mean.

I've setup a paypal account (so everyone feels secure) and the first batch I'll cover the S&H on (until I get an idea what it'll actually cost to send, I'm guessing about $4-5 for any reasonable number). It looks like there's enough interest to do a batch almost right away so we're likely looking at about a week and a half to get them in your hands if ordered early this week.

So, that would be $30 for each insert/clip which means to do one seat you need two at $60 and to do both front seats you will need 4 at $120. You can send Paypal to ajh@offroad101.ca (the website is just something I'm playing with and not properly setup yet so don't use it please ) and include your full shipping address and as soon as I have at least 20 units I can get a batch made up and sent out.

Something else we're doing is alloy fan shrouds that make putting a Kenlowe fan onto a 200TDI trivial if anyone might be interested send me a PM, not sure on the final cost yet for those but I'm guessing about $100, the prototype was made with a more expensive process but I'll also post some pics of that one shortly.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 01:13 PM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson
1986 D110 ex-200tdi to be 6BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user View Post
What about the 'rings' for the back of the seat base that hold the pegs. Could you make a replacement for those as well?
Steve - we've got a lathe and a pile of delrin. Get your ass over here. (plus I need to see how your washer tank is mounted and something else I forgot about)
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:05 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Tony- sorry, missed this. When are you there next and wrenching? I can bring the ambulance over when ever. email me...
Old September 16th, 2010, 05:59 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

I have a bunch of these ready to ship. I'm picking up some things in Ogdensburg NY tomorrow (Friday Sept 17th) and could drop them in the mail then if you're in the USA and interested. You can even order using Paypal on www.offroad101.ca, I've been running them on my seats since the first post and haven't had a single problem. Right now there are enough remaining to do 4 vehicles but more can be made up in a few weeks once I've had time to deal with the new grille and dash frame I'm working on now.

Old January 24th, 2011, 09:44 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

Are these still available?

Anyone that receive them care to comment on them?
Old January 25th, 2011, 03:08 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Yes, there are still some available. I'm in New Mexico at the moment though but expecting to be back home in the next few weeks and can ship some out then if you're not in a hurry, if you are I can likely get someone to go pick up some and ship them out.

Old November 10th, 2011, 02:16 AM
brettm
Brett
97 D90-SW, Arles +4.6

any left? i'd love to get a set of 4 to do both seats. turns out that kneeling on a kid car-seat to crank down the seat-belt in the passenger side doesn't agree so well with the oem parts
Old November 10th, 2011, 02:22 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Out at the moment but I've had a few people ask in the last week or two so I'm looking at doing another batch up. I'll add them to the inventory on offroad101.ca tomorrow so people can pre-order; usually I do batches of about 20 at a time and it would be nice to get them out there asap.

Old November 10th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

I'm in for the set to do both seats.

"They are, in factory original condition, noisy, they leak water in from the top and oil out from underneath, you can never demist the windows in winter, they handle like scaffolding towers, and use more fuel than Beijing." Richard Hammond

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
rattle