A/C Wiring Harness - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 26th, 2007, 03:48 PM
JimKo
Jim Kochenderfer
1994 D90

A/C Wiring Harness

I have searched other postings, but can't find an answer to this problem. 1994 D90. The previous owner had about a million candlepower worth of lights and he was a hack electrician. I have removed/undone all of that damage, but in the process, I discovered that the main power harness for the a/c is no longer connected. I suspect it was not connected to the proper location anyway before I began removing a mile of wires to nowhere. I have two large gauge wires that need a home. I'm 99% certain these wires are the primary power supply for the portion of the air conditioning that is inside the cab. One wire is brown (more like tan) with a small ring terminal, and the other wire is slate blue with a large ring terminal. I've been poring over the wiring schematics (I've got three) and I find them to be moderately helpful, but not the holy grail. I think the small ring terminal (brown wire) goes to the starter solenoid and the large ring terminal (slate wire) goes to the stud on the back of the starter that also accepts the positive battery cable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a little hesitant to proceed with my plan as I fear sparks and the expensive smell of a roasted unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2007, 04:13 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Mine was wired directly to the battery.
Old October 26th, 2007, 04:22 PM
JimKo
Jim Kochenderfer
1994 D90

When you say "Mine was wired directly to the battery" are you saying you have the same two wires with ring terminals, one brown and one slate blue and both were attached to the positive terminal of the battery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2007, 03:16 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Jim, I retro-fitted A/C to my truck and wiring is not too bad. If you look at the fuse panel you can see where the A/C connections (I think there are two) are supposed to go - take off the fuse panel and make a run from the main A/C power lead (the one which goes ultimately to the compressor) and run it to the higher-amp fuse spot.. I put a '95 A/C on my 94 so things were slightly different (and I have about 3-4 wiring diagrams, none of which agree 100%). There's also a secondary power lead, IIRC this is for the A/C fan (the little pusher fan in the front) which is supposed to have it's own circuit... I think I tied this fan into the blower motor circuit so they are both fused at the same point... so basically I have one fuse for the compressor and one for the blower and pusher fan. I think.
I should have documented mine better, now I can't remember exactly how I did it, but everything is fused through the main fuse block in what look like the correct places.
There is one connection I'm missing & that's the wire from the A/C to the computer - I think this is to bump up the idle when the compressor is 'on' but I never did get a wiring spec for the computer and didn't want to zap it with incorrect voltage... so now I lose a couple hundred RPM at idle when the A/C kicks in but it doesn't seem to kill the engine so I just live with it.

Follow-up Post:

PS these are all positive leads I'm talking about - the system is grounded a few places eg the compressor is grounded through it's housing... the pusher fan has a separate ground lead which I ran back to a common point of grounding in the cabin near the fuse block (along with the grounds for the relays, etc etc).
Old October 28th, 2007, 10:25 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Jim, i took some pictures of the A/C setup when I removed it from my D90, including the wiring. Maybe some of the ones of the wiring will help.

http://lhsw.com/gallery/AC
Old November 9th, 2007, 05:24 PM
JimKo
Jim Kochenderfer
1994 D90

I appreciate the replies. cgalpin I looked at your photos and the photo you have labeled "Fuse Box Cover Removed" replicates my system, it is the Wynns system. After lots of head scratching and trial and error I learned that the size of the ring terminals on my two wires meant nothing. From the little add on A/C fuse block with the three fuses in it I had two wires emerging, a large diameter tan wire (I believe the schematic called it brown) and a slate blue wire. Never could find a schematic for A/C that listed slate as a color for a wire and I have like three or four schmatics from different sources. Ultimately, I soldered on a new ring terminal on the tan wire and ran it to the stud on the starter. The slate blue wire is a ground and I ran it to a suitable frame ground and bolted it up using an existing bolt. All is well. Good thing my A/C works now, what with January and February in Nebraska bearing down on me. Also, the wife had that evil look in her eye when she said, "Let me see if I understand this, the A/C was working fine before you started fixing it?"
Old November 9th, 2007, 06:06 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
LOL. All's well that ends well!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wiring