A/C runs but ... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 29th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Tommy Moore
94 Yellow ST
A/C runs but ...

A couple of weeks ago I purchaed a 1994 ST, my first LR. Have searched other threads but didn't see this topic raised specifically, so am wondering if any of you can diagnose a problem I'm having with the A/C.

First thing I did was took it into Roverland 4x4 in Alexandria VA (per advice of some of the guys on the website) and had them look it over. Pretty clean bill of health, except when the A/C ran it leaked condensation onto the passenger floorboard. They said it was a faulty downpipe gasket, great, an $11 part, they replaced it, and poof -- I leave the shop with the A/C running and presto, within 10 minutes it's leaking again.

It was hot as Hades so I let it run, figuring I'd take it back and we'd figure out what else could be causing it to leak. That's when I run into the good news/bad news situation. The next day I get the good news -- run the A/C and it's not leaking anymore! The bad news is it only blows cold when I first start up the truck and let it idle. I can let it sit in front of my house for 20 minutes and it blows cold and doesn't leak, but once I engage the clutch and go it blows hot. I've checked the R-134 psi with a gauge and it's full, so any idea of what's going wrong?

Any advice would be helpful, thanks, TM

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions