A/C-Just when I almost had all the worms back in the can - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 6th, 2008, 07:37 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
A/C-Just when I almost had all the worms back in the can

I just got the NAS a/c from Auspex, great deal and it was packed up like it was fine china, by Overland Engineering I believe. If he packs things that well, I really want him to do some work on my truck.
Anywho
My 1985 has the A/C system that is like the 1993 110 (I believe), with the A/C and the heater core in a box in the engine compartment. I have read that this is not the best setup, I don't know because mine isn't working. I started the process of elimination, to figure out the problem, but gave up.
The NAS system I got has everything but the Compressor, which I have.
The Question, do I fit the NAS which looks like it will work, or continue to try and fix mine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2008, 07:50 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
May as well go ahead and fit the underdash model - its better by all accounts. If you would like to sell the old school system for a few bucks, let me know. I'd like to investigate it, attempt to restore it, and create some info for the site.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old August 6th, 2008, 08:00 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Good deal, you'll be the first to know if I pull it out. I would like to swap out the heater box also, which would need some work, but everything else seems to be OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2008, 08:11 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Oh definitely, you want to swap the heater box too. Is that truck RHD? It should be cheap to get one if it is. Ultimately, I think you'll want a vented bulkhead also...

Old August 6th, 2008, 08:19 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
No its LHD, whats the big upside to the vented bulkhead?
Old August 6th, 2008, 08:32 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Well the vented bulkhead allows you to open up and get direct ventilation, which is nice. Its intended to be a one-or-the-other configuration. The old school system you have now is an integrated HVAC with the option for open-system and recirculating ventilation.

In my mind, the hot set up is to get the vented bulkhead and the underdash AC - thats how ECR sets up their refurb 110s. Presumably because its a simpler system, more effective, and not plagued by obsolete parts.

If you install the underdash AC with the old system in place, you have redundant AC parts, still rely on the old system for heating and ventilation, and, as I figure it, you will still be chasing problems with the old system.

Of course you should get a second opinion though!

Old August 6th, 2008, 09:41 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I would try to swap out what ever I can, the bulkhead probably wouldn't happen anytime soon though.
Old August 7th, 2008, 12:13 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The issue with removing the 110 NAS style AC is you need a new LHD heater system as well. This costs quite a few dollars. While it is undoubtedly better to fit a new heater system and later under the dash AC, it has to be balanced with the cost of such an undertaking.
Old August 7th, 2008, 10:41 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm guessing you could just cut out the holes and fit the vent parts, no need to swap the whole bulkhead. Call Dixon Strachan at Rock Island Rovers in BC for a LHD heater box if you want one - he seems to be able to land some decent priced used parts.

Old August 8th, 2008, 09:00 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
All for $290 bucks

Hey Jim, Thanks for the advice, I was wondering if you thought that my type of Bulkhead has a tendency to rust less?

Pics of what I got as the NAS A/C. (I emailed the guys from Rock Island last night)
We (you) can use it to label like the great rollbar pics you did!
ThanksAgain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A-C.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	14678   Click image for larger version

Name:	a-c2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	14679  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac