A/C install help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 28th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Heath
Heath Ahrens
1995/D-90

A/C install help

I've never seen one in up close before...
Need to know the following:
Mounting location of dryer.
Where the hoses are routed.
How the reciever mounts up and where the lines go through the firewall / bulkhead.

Does anyone have a diagram?
The kit is out of a '95 HT and is being installed in a '95 ST.

Thanks,
Heath
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2006, 04:25 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The drier mounts to the inside of the chassis down under the power steering resevoir.

The hoses go through the oval shaped opening in the firewall to the right of the fusebox - you'll have to cut the rubber mat. there also needs to be a gasket to keep the lines from rubbing and touching.

the receiver mounts up to a couple studs coming down from the top of the passenger footbox.
Old August 28th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Heath
Heath Ahrens
1995/D-90

Thanks Jim.
Should I just use sheet metal screws to hold the top of the receiver and the fascia to the bottom of the heat duct under the console?
Those two screws on the firewall certainly don't hold the reciever up very well. And those three tapped holes (that hold the metal piece that holds the cardboard kick panel) don't line up.
I got the lines through ok with that rubber piece and a bit of silicone lube.

Where does the hard metal line connect? Does the small line from the reciever go to the drier? Then drier to condenser back to compressor?
Where is the short hard line?

Is my little drawing right?

Where does it fill and drain from?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ac.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	6402  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2006, 07:27 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I think there is a plate that replaces the piece of sheet metal that help up the original cardboard liner at the bottom of the dash (i'm going off memory here - last time I touched a 95 AC was 2 years ago). This plate has 3 more studs on it, so a total of 5 hold up the unit. You're welcome to try sheet metal screws, but be careful not to puncture the heater box or create a leak-point.

I think the lines only go in one way. Your diagram is correct as far as the circuit goes. The hard line connects the drier to the radiator thing (i always get the names receiver and condensor mixed up - damn dyslexia) because both are hardmounted to the chassis and dont need to flex. The routing is very funny since it goes under one radiator support and loops sharply to attach to the bottom fitting. If I remember correctly it can only be inserted from the front.

The other small line runs between the radiator and the fender to the compressor. Again, I think theres only one way to attach. See if these pics help.

Also, if you dont have the plate with the hose clamp on it, then it will be hard to mount the drier to the chassis rail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_V8 Passenger Sidev1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	6403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_No Grill Roverv1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	6404  

Old August 28th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Heath
Heath Ahrens
1995/D-90

Well I guess I am missing the plate with the 3 bolts to mount the top of the reciever (inside the cab).
Damn... I thought I had everything.
I could fab one out of some 16ga steel I guess.
Does anyone have one or a photo?
Advice is welcome.

Thanks again Jim!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions